MD18: Lazio vs Roma (January 18th, 2021) IL DERBY

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Utterly embarrassing. Perhaps the worst 2nd half I’ve ever seen from us. Gutless, spineless and downright unforgivable in a game of this magnitude

Fonseca has to go.

2. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2 Juventus
    3 Milan
    4 Napoli
    4 Atalanta
    2 Inter
    3 Lazio

18 goals conceded in big games.

3. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    No surprises here. ;)

4. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are still in the battle for the 4th spot ( Juve, Inter, Milan being top three) . If Napoli, Atlanta win their games they are only 3 points ahead with a lot of games to go.

I just don't think it would happen with Fonseca.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This has to be, by a mile, the worst derby performance I have ever seen.

Absolutely disgraceful.

I hope the fans tell the team bus what they think about it....

Indian_Gladiator, Andreas and ErPupone repped this.
  6. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    Theres are 1 in 10 striker.

shiboboo repped this.
  7. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Edin Dzeko missing sitters were game changers.
    First half he missed a sitter in front of the goal, Lazio went scoring 1 - 0. We would have had a different game.
    And now missed one at 3 - 0.

8. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    Its the managers fault though.

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    They had no clue all night how to attack them. A couple of chances from punts into the box.

10. TwistedJester

TwistedJester Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have been tactically outplayed in every big game recently. No way this isn't down to Fonseca, at least to some extent.
    Of course the players have to take responsibility aswell, remember Fonseca chooses the team. The club is just a mess at the moment

11. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totti & De Rossi would have been pissed off and got red-carded in such a match.
    These guys have no passion at all. You don't see any anger from them for the score.

I miss Totti.

Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  12. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The most worrying thing from tonight was the lack of fight and passion in the 2nd half. 2 down and not one ounce of fight against our arch rivals. Whatever Fonseca said hasn’t got through to the players. Alarm bells right there.

FONSECA OUT. Time for Dan and Ryan to pull the trigger and put their plan A into action. Fonseca is not the answer and they know it.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think so......

14. Majstor Cevapa

May 1, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I was watching the game with a few friends, and the second Dzeko's shot got blocked from a yard out I said, "We're going to regret misses like that in a game this big". In that same play Lazio scored off of Ibanez's first mistake.

If that one shot had gone in, this game would have been completely different. For a team that has been overwhelmingly disappointing in the 2nd half of games, I had no belief in a comeback. It's pretty easy to fault Ibanez with the two mistakes that Lazio capitalized on, but we can also put blame on Dzeko for missing two sitters. None of those are mistakes of the coach, but Fonseca should have done something to put us back into the game, and he didn't.

I was hoping Roma would deliver on my birthday weekend, but nope, I have to remember it's Roma after all. I think this loss hurts almost as much as the 2013 cup final loss to Lazio.

Edit: As good as Ibanez is, and as great as he can be, he also is the biggest liability in our defense. I would have much rather started Kumbulla, who while nowhere near as flashy, is the definition of consistency and getting the job done.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #90 falvo, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  16. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    I didn't get blocked. He kicked it right at Reina. 15m a year striker and he misses sitters from 2 yards out. Unbelievable.

shiboboo repped this.
  17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah, its not just the misses, Dzeko has lost a step in the last month or two.

shiboboo repped this.
  18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Dzeko is a problem and has been for 2 seasons but this game didnt come down to a Dzeko miss. That would be clutching at straws as they looked dangerous from the off. Counters through the centre, they clearly noticed how Inter wrecked us in the second half and Fonseca did nothing and the obvious targeted balls into space for the speed of Lazzari. Before the goal I seen they had 2 or 3 breaks where the alarms bells went off. The homework was done and they were confident and the writing was on the wall. This was one team tactically destroying the other and if Dzeko had scored that scruffy chance Lazio would have continued to counter. Fonseca would have done what he always does, said there and hope as Lazio got back into it and took the lead. Unlike Conte, they were never going to take the foot of the gas when they seen how much damage they could do against Roma weak spots.

Lets not ignore the fact that this was a performance for 90 mins were they created nothing bar 1 or 2 chances. We've seen bad derbies results but never can I remember something that flat. One of the only team moves that I can remember was a Dzeko flick to mikh. The other a karsdorp cross at the end but that is the issue. In the guts of the game there was no clue how to take on Lazio.
    The denial from many fans was strong but its a point I have been ramming home since the Fiorentina matchday thread. Because of how the table was shaping up this year, 4th place would only be possible with scalps in the big games. Earn your money here in but how is that looking? Roma need a huge turn around in mentality to make top 4. Whats likely from here is no top 4 and if thats the case no Fonseca next year if the owners are wise. Better players will not fix a manager who gets outfoxed like him against similar good players and managers every game, I'll repeat that "everygame". The game was a disaster and there was only one deserved winner.

19. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This looks like the standard post new year form drop.

We are at least beating the lower teams bit we need to at least split the point with the better teams not get flogged.

That is the next step probably for the next manager

20. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The first half was bad enough, but in the second half we looked like complete amateurs out there. It was painful to watch. It also reminded me of the Liverpool game at Anfield somehow, where they destroyed us with constant long balls to their quick forwards.

How many times have we seen this before? Roma hiring a coach with zero Serie A experience, who within a year gets found out completely by the Italian tacticians, and there's no coming back from there. Yes, Fonseca did switch to 3-4-2-1 last season, when we were already having difficulties, and it indeed has worked against the weaker sides, but getting destroyed like that in every big game?

I'm starting to get the feeling that what we really need is a coach who has experience with the tactical game in Serie A. Hell, if Pioli can do well with Milan, I'd be up for almost anyone.

21. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    Spalletti is free in 5 months and that’s when Fonsecas contract expires. You guys better hope “The King of Rome” didn’t burn that bridge.

Otherwise you are looking at hiring a Juric/De Zerbi. Allegri’s ain’t coming here. Wake up.

22. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    As long as we continue to beat the lesser sides we might have a chance of top 4, but I would say a top 4 finish is a highly unlikely outcome with this squad and manager combination.

Fonseca should (and will) remain for now and be given the chance and if (almost certainly not if, but when) he fails, it will be time to move on.

I dont think he has done a terrible job, but his record against the bigger sides is dreadful and speaks for itself. Sure, he isnt working with a squad of superstars but there's enough talent there imo.

The evidence that would suggest he is tactically inept and little bit out of his depth is plentiful at this stage. I've been mostly on the fence with regards Fonseca, but after last night I'm well and truly off it with my mind made up.

23. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I believe that bridge was well and truly burnt. I also believe Spalletti was treated way, way too harshly at the end of that season, with all the Totti drama going around.

Realistically speaking, though, Totti isn't working for Roma at the moment, so the Friendkins have no reason to take Totti's stance on Spalletti into consideration at all, if Spalletti's name comes up for the coaching role.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. TheFerryBoat

TheFerryBoat Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Let's all come up with a list of players who should gtfo

I'll go first. Dzeko. Big game player, but his attitude is shit at important times and too ********ing sluggish. Spinnazzola is next; same problem with the attitude. Dude was literally non existence on defence, Lazzari made him his bitch.

On the other hand Karsdrop deserves all the applaud. Hard working, never stops running both offensively and defensively

Haakon24 and Indian_Gladiator repped this.