MD17: Roma vs Inter (January 10th, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Jan 6, 2021.

1. TwistedJester

TwistedJester Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's all well and good him talking intelligently about our mistakes, but it happens all to often against bigger sides, he needs to be able to react before the damage is done.

La Magica repped this.
  2. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    You are hanging your hopes on a possibility, just like we did a few years ago with Conte. Other than Spalletti or Gasperini(who I’d both take), anyone with Serie A experience would be a downgrade. Sarri maybe but I don’t think we have the players for his system.

3. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    That would require benching our “Captain”, ain’t gonna happen.

shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to post that Lopez had a really good game. I'm not sure he saved us, the did make a couple of good saves, but he played well. Hopefully, this gives him confidence and he moves forward.

You are absolutely correct about Cristante, he made a few really key passes and really changed the game.

Fonseca pulled all the right strings today and it made the difference. This team has no business being in 3rd place given their talent level. Just looking at this game alone compare their back 3, wingbacks and forwards to ours.

Bizubani repped this.
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Mayoral had 1 good game against the worst team in the league. Dzeko isn't the answer but neither is Mayoral. Borja is a very hard working ST but he's not going to be the difference.

The reality is we don't have a ST we can hang our hat on. Thankfully Mkhi has been so great which has helped our forward play otherwise we'd be in real trouble.

6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

You asked me for some names. Those or 2 people I would be happy with but Im not hanging my hopes one anyone. I explained mistakes Fonseca continues to do. Not after the game but before the game, yesterday to you. Why, because it happens game after game when he's challenged.

I cant know whos available and either do you so saying well hes the best we can get isnt a sound position to take. I do know as he continues to prove it, he is not the long term guy for Roma if they want to achieve more than playing pretty football as a club. He will linger around for a while and we'll continue to get good results here and there until his cycle ends.

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma were the better side in the first? Thats being generous. Some nice counters and looked dangerous on a couple of occasions but Inter had control of the play and as the half wore on had a strong grip on them.

shiboboo repped this.
  8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter had no sustained possession at all in Roma's end the first half. Dzeko fouled up a couple of counters in the first half that could have been much more dangerous. I do think Roma were the better of the 2 teams in the first.

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No but I'm talking about control of the game. I give the half to the team that does as Inter asserted themselves. They had the play and as the half went on started to find holes with 1 2's through the centre. By the end of the half it looked like a goal was coming if we didnt pick up. Roma found opportunity with counters and were dangerous though. The last 10-15 mins of the match was the only time you could clearly stay Roma shifted to the better team.

10. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We scored with a deflected shot in the 1st half and really did little else. We weren't bad, but we certainly weren't good either. The tide started to turn around the half hour mark. If it continued into the 2nd half, which it did, it was only going to be a matter of time before Inter equalised. Which they did. Fonseca did nothing before this and nothing after, so Inter continued to dominate and, inevitably, took the lead. Fonseca still did nothing. Conte, having no balls and reverting to type, made changes to his team and it's set-up that allowed us to get back into the game. We managed to find an equaliser.

This about sums up what happened. If you think we were the better team in this game then you don't have a notion what you're looking at.

Dont be fooled and think that Bruno and Cristante came on and changed the game, they didnt. Conte changed the game.

Having said that, I was calling for a Spinny sub before it happened. I dont think he's fully fit. Whatever it is, he isnt playing well. Bruno on helped. This one was forced on Fonseca. Nobody here has been more critical of Milhouse. But when I think a player is playing well I will say so. Even if that player is Miltante. He has played well lately, but that's all he is getting from me.

shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's exactly what Roma wanted to do. Let Inter have meaningless control of the ball and beat the on the counter. Most of Inter's possession in the first was worthless, never in a position to threaten. Nearly every 1-2 between Lukaku and Martinez were dealt with in the first.

Roma executed exactly what they wanted to in the first. Let Inter have possession in the MF then beat them on the counter.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldn't say never in a position to threaten. They have 3 or 4 dangerous chances. The 1 2s I'm talking about starting to come by linking in the midfield from about half an hour on. The threat was obvious and it continued into the second half.

13. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    Those 2 names are like saying we need a new striker, and the names I propose to you are Lewandowski and Haaland. Fonseca took the disaster EDF and Monchi put together and has us punching way above our weight given the players we have.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #114 La Magica, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    You're new here so I guess its not your fault for not knowing what's been previously discussed on match threads. Nobody has argued he is all bad or there has been no positives to his work. There has been and he done a good job in the most part. Specifically talking about the limitations that 18 months in cant continue to be brushed under the carpet with excuses and simply buying him better players wont cover them up. Top players have bad days and when faced against other similar top players you need to have a manager that understands finer tweaks in game.

Going to a 3 man midfield and man marking them while bringing on Mayoral at ht and going 2 up front would have shown balls to go and win the game putting Conte on the back foot. Thats the sort of ballsy move he should be making instead of waiting for the inevitable.

If he did that and lets say Bryan failed him, then I would be supporting him. It would be a fair play from me, Fonseca gets it and he needs better players. But he doesn't do that does he. So this is as far as I see us going under him as a team. B+ rating.

Big Bad Wolf repped this.
  15. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    One thing I will say about Fonseca is that we beat the provincial sides like we should. He certainly struggles against the top sides so he needs to do better with his in game subs. The problem with previous Roma sides is we could win our share of games against top sides but ended up losing a few games each season that we shouldn't which ended up costing us greatly.

16. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Indeed, that was expecially true in the case of Spalletti, excellent coach he was though.

Overall, a draw in this game is a positive outcome. We could have done better, but also worse.

While it is legitimate to criticise Fonseca's lack of change(s) at half-time when we were in difficulty, the main criticism I would make is starting Dzeko when Mayoral has shown he might have what it takes to fire us to a top four finish.

The way we play now with Villar - who was excellent again today - being able to hold the ball in the opposition half means we are less dependent on Dzeko dropping deep and laying the ball off to players in wide positions. We would benefit more from a player who spends more time in the opposition penalty area and who is a good finisher. Mayoral has shown that he deserves the opportunity to prove he is that player.

17. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

18. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point considering it was looking like a potential rout after their 2nd goal.

Is it just me or has Dzeko not looked so good after his bout with covid?
    Or maybe it’s Father Time?