MD 33: AS Roma vs Verona

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by FireTrapatoni, Jul 15, 2020.

1. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually pretty impressive, considering Spalletti is probably the only coach that actually played him correctly.

2. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah, guess I was unaware of that. Hopefully it's just a heat of the moment thing and doesn't turn into a "thing".

3. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    When you sub a guy who is at 60 percent fitness and expect better than a 60 percent performance.........

There are many things wrong with the team, Z isn't one of them.

4. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    There’s already signs Zaniolo has a big head/ bad attitude. When you come on as a substitute in the 60th minute you’ll be expected to have enough energy to help in defense. We’ll gain no favors by letting Zaniolos talent get to his head, he has plenty of weaknesses in his game still so it’s good that the coach is holding him accountable.

Java65, wm72, La Magica and 1 other person repped this.
  5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah unlikely not a thing. Teammates can have words with each other on the pitch multiple times a game when they need it and now theres no fan noise its more evident but he needs calling out here..

I watched it back and he wasn't pressing from about 80 mins on. He was keen to go one way, forward but didn't seem interested getting back. When he takes on the ball and gets a shot away on the left he is being shouted at to get back to the right. All their play in the final 15 mins was down his side because of it. Fonseca is shouting at him to press again after that on his side and he half heartily does so but its already to late when the coach is shouting. Contrast to Perotti's position when he came on in the final few mins. Zaniolo should be a mirror but he was out of the picture most of the time.

When Villar took the yellow at the end everyone is back as a unit except Zaniolo who was 15 yards ahead so he decided not to listen right to the end. You have to play 2 ways especially when you come on in such a scenario. 2-1 up with 20 mins on you play for the team first and don't make a run you're not getting back for.

Haakon24, wm72 and Shen-O repped this.
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Do you forget that even under EDF he was gifted chance after chance but missed left right and centre. Roma would have been in the champions league have he delivered what he was meant to do last year. Didnt even have to have a good season, just average would have done but that didnt happen. He could have had about 50 more goals over his time here from legit 6 yard chances.

The only time I give him a pass was in his first year with the genius of Gervinho and Iturbe supplying for him. That's not easy for any forward to try and understand when the two of them didn't know what they would do themselves.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say “used correctly” = making Salah feed Dzeko on a plate, but you went one further.

Haakon24 and La Magica repped this.
  8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's extreme to say he was missing chance after chance. The primary issue with him was that he offered next to nothing off the ball, or even all that much on it. So in a 4-3-3, like EDF's, where you need a striker dropping deep to receive the ball you are basically wasting your time with Dzeko.

The only way to play him is either next to another striker or having someone in midfield or out wide making runs off him.

9. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That's fine. He's not above reproach. I'd have to go back and rewatch the the last 15-20 specifically focusing on it (and while not working).

10. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Dzeko is a weird player. He has a powerful shot, can hit it with both feet and has one of the best volleys in the game, but his general finishing is atrocious. He is also terrible at heading the ball (mostly due to his lack of aggression/laziness).

I can’t really agree that Dzeko’s hold up play is anything but brilliant though, it’s the only thing he’s got going for him. His biggest problems are that he is incredibly lazy, and that he doesn’t trust his teammates.

Personally I think Dzeko deserves a lot of respect for what he’s accomplished for Roma, but it’s hard to root for a guy who looks like he’s giving 60% on a good day.

whill4 and Java65 repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #61 La Magica, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

He is a 2 footed, has good technique and link up play. He can play any which way. The ways you suggest might be better but because of his skillset they're not the only way. Him holding up the ball and spraying it out wide to then get in the box is classic play for someone like him.

We dont need to go there and bring up the highlight reel. How is it extreme when he was delivered the chances and he fluffed his lines? We have the tape. I've watched Roma a long time now. This shit doesn't go unnoticed with me. As shit and patchy as the team play was under a broken midfield EDF system he was still gifted opportunities like we seen yesterday when he blazed wildly over from a pass the ball into the net finish. He got a goal yesterday. Last year he misses the header. It's those dropped points here and there from such misses than mean you dont make CL. Hes on big money for a reason.

Last year we had Olsen and Dzeko on either end of the pitch making it impossible to be consistent. That's not neglecting issues in midfield but with all of those issues he was still being fed chances and he missed. By the end of the season he was doing his sulk mode when he totally gives up. His mentality maybe the issue that's stopped him going even further in his good career. Dzeko is a funny one with fans. They seem to be very quick to forget these episodes because he can score some beautiful goals or go through patches of form.

Haakon24 repped this.
  12. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Just wanted to point out that Fazio did not play yesterday and we didn’t keep a clean sheet.

carry on.

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every top ST misses more chances than they convert. There was a stat floating around earlier this year showing which players had missed the most chances and the guys the score the most, miss the most. I was players like; Suarez, Werner, Mbappe, Lewandowski, etc.

I had a coach that used to tell us that he was more concerned if we were not in a position to miss chances.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

None of them have a highlight reel like him. The miss hits and the blazes over the bar are not the chances you expect top strikers to do repeatedly. He makes people forget because of insane goals like v Sampdoria.

Shen-O and shiboboo repped this.
  15. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never forget.

[​IMG]

16. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, in his defense, he did rally and score a few that game.

But that's a legendary miss.

17. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    The one he skied yesterday when Spinazzola passed it to him sums Dzeko in a nutshell. A striker like Higuain buries that low in the corner. Dzeko skies it into the curva.

Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it's an important game, in which case Higuain passes it straight to the keeper.

La Magica and shiboboo repped this.
  19. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Good thing we play in an important game once every 2-3 years.

20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day we need a younger ST that can start taking over for Dzeko. We really can't get rid of him and roll the dice a young player and just hope he can handle it.

Haakon24 repped this.
  21. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Id be really interested to see Schick in Fonseca's 3-4-2-1, but his story here is probably finished

Indian_Gladiator and Shen-O repped this.
  22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea he's done. When Fonseca determined he didn't need him last summer it was over for him at Roma. IMO, swapping Dzeko for another old ST at the end of his career is not the answer.

23. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If I was a cynical person I'd say that those measley wins were too little too late and the only real purpose they'll serve is long-term harm to the club by not forcing Fonseca out before the strart of next season, but yeah... I'm a cynic so that's exactly what's happening.

The roster won't be significantly improved as it direly needs to be, the only way we're getting better results with the same underwhelming squad is by hiring someone who could get more out of shitty rosters, Fonseca is not that guy, he'll never be that guy, not a million trillion years.

The Roma management keeps on treating the Roma squad as an enemy state with which its in war for 3+ years already. When does this non-sense stop?

24. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dear god, you don't want to pour more misery on this god awful squad , right ?

L'immortale repped this.
  25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He done well in Germany this year. He suits the faster direct football, oh and playing in him is position consistently helped. We bring in this young guys, play them in the wrong position, wreck their confidence and then say they suck :laugh: Roma management suck. Why is Gerson doing so well.

Haakon24 and shiboboo repped this.