PBP: McKennie: Juventus v Sampdoria, 9/20

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Scotty, Sep 20, 2020.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Successful 90 for Wes. Better on the defensive side of things. Will be an interesting season to watch.

2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    A long list of things qualify as more enjoyable than 19-20 Schalke.

jnielsen, laxcoach and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Weston Ronaldo bromance is growing strong, judging by the goal celebration

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet a lot of us feel Sargent would also look a lot better on a team better than Bremen. I think if there's actually ever a US camp Sargent will be so overjoyed to be with players that pass the ball to him in the offensive parts of the field he will look great and any move he makes to a better club will be because of how he plays and looks for the US. No one can look good for that green mess in Bremen.

Gacm32, laxcoach and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I guess, but they were really never in this game.

6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I don't know that McKennie looked better today than he did with his previous club. He just looked like McKennie, a guy who puts in an honest shift, can disrupt on defense and contribute some on offense. At the end of the day Sargent needs to score goals for his club, whether they suck or not. It is possible. Plenty of players have scored 10 goals in a season while playing for relegation fodder.

Dizi repped this.
  7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    A new manager is not going to change that many guys from a starting lineup that produced a 3-0 win. But then, I didn't think any manager would keep McKennie out of the box on corner kicks, particularly after his involvement resulted in a goal on the one he did get in the box for.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Big difference between a 15th-place finisher at home and Roma away though.

Today was a day they could afford to experiment a bit. Next week, less so.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You could argue it is a bigger experiment to bring in new players for a big game than it is to keep the ones that just won a game 3-0.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewandowski could but could 20 year old Lewa do it?

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nah.

If the players were like, youth academy grads, sure, but the other options are Dybala, the guy who was arguably their best midfielder last season (Bentancur), and a €65 million signing.

12. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that means Weston will not be in the lineup for the next Serie A game ? o_O

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he's literally his doppelganger :D

LouisZ and Dizi repped this.
  14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for word doppelganger, I had to look it up :) You are correct.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow Juve so I have no idea who is a regular, how many are injured etc.
    I just hope Wes continues to play.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Dybala (striker), De Ligt (CB), Sciglio (RB), and Bernadeschi (winger) are the official injured per transfermarket. So none related to WM's position. That said, I believe there are some coming back from injury, e.g. Khedira (although he seems on the way out) or other relatively new signings (e.g. Arthur). Pirlo did suggest one of WM's advantages was fitness since he had been playing in the BL.

LouisZ repped this.
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve fan here, dropping in to say that I was very impressed with him. He played well, he seems like the bulldog type of player Pirlo wants. Pirlo has repeatedly stated he wants players that will track back and fight for the ball when we lose possession. I imagine he will be getting a lot more time. McKennie was also receiving a lot of praise from Curva Twitter (the Juve fan base on Twitter), he made a really good impression.

As for who is injured, we have Dybala, De Ligt, Bernardeschi and Alex Sandro. I would also expect Juve to sign another striker or two in the near future. Juve will have plenty of games to play this season, so I wouldn’t worry about McKennie not starting them all.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    my colonoscopy was more enjoyable.

Winoman repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    FYP :eek:

Winoman and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #169 LouisZ, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    After watching all of his touches I see that he needs to improve his passing to the level of the rest of the team. More than once he passes behind the player misses to connect with Rabiot for the easier pass but instead passes to the back 4. I'm sure he will improve as the season progresses. This will help greatly for our NT.
    But he does bring something nobody has shown to have, a bite to the game.

I just read an extensive although a bit dated article on Rabiot, he can be a headcase if things are not done the way he likes it. I hope Wes knows how to deal with him.