McGreevey tells Newark to build his own arena

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by obie, Aug 28, 2002.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Well cant they take off the arena part of our bill and just put in Harrison? Wasnt the Newark arena an add on to begin with?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Newark amendment was never officially added to the Harrison bill (S1401 / A2352, for those of you writing letters), so legally we're exactly where we were in the spring with a bill that deals exclusively with Harrison -- no Newark, no Meadowlands. Politically, however, it's an improvement. Newark has become an albatross, and if McGreevey won't support it, it's gone.

Meanwhile, Sharpe James needs to get that $120 million from YankeeNets back on the table, which might be harder than people think.

4. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Just as a side note, Newsday reported recently that, if the Newark Arena does not get built, Charles Wang would be interested in buying the Nets and moving them to Long Island.

Wang already owns the Islanders and Dragons (Arena football), and adding the Nets would give him more leverage in getting a new arena built on LI.

He is a big basketball fan and has, in the past, looked into buying other NBA teams.

So the threat of the Nets relocating if the Newark deal does not get done is real.

5. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Any chance of wang buying Metro & moving them out of the Swamp state to LI?

6. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Right, because we want to average 8000 at the Mecca that is Legion Field.

7. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    better off just folding the team

8. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    No, I just think that if Metro was a regular show on LI as opposed to a once a year thing they'd draw better.

Mostly, and admittedly, selfishly, I'm tired of paying tolls on the Verrazano, Goethels, & Turnpike as well as parking to see Metro lose regularly at home. Mitchell field is actually further from my Brooklyn home than Swamp Land, but won't cost me an effen' fortune to get to a dozen times a year.

Ideally, I wish Metro had worked with Sy. John's to build a 20,000 seater. C'est la vie.

9. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I LOVE this logic!!!!!

"Move the Metro where it is convinient to ME"

Well you know theres people who live in CHina who would also like the Metro to move over there so they dont have to wait 15 hours on a plane and pay $500 in plane tickets every match.

10. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    He's a basketball guy, I've never read anything suggesting he had even heard of MLS, much less expressed an interest in getting involved.

IF there was an appropriate stadium in Nassau County which was within walking distance of a LIRR station, the Metros would do at least as well on LI as they do now. Of course, that stadium doesn't exist, and probably will never exist.

11. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    MetroCoroazon, I've been going to a dozen matches a year since Year One. Where are you located? I go to the Swamp, but I don't enjoy the trip & would like a cheaper ride. Is that so outrageous? It's not like NJ is busting buttons supporting the Metros , is it? Oh yeah, those Benfica fans REALLY come out & support Metro, don't they?

Also, when last I checked, the metros' Chinese fan base was pretty small, though it's probbaly still more deicated than the alleged support the team receives in NJ.

Again, I'm just stating my preference. Tell me, corozon, what it is precisely you LIKE about the Swamp?

12. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Did I say I like the swamp? No.

MY preference is my back patio so that I don't have to even get out of my bedroom to watch the game. I won't have to spend any money on parking OR tolls. I dont see how this is a problem since no one goes to see Metro at the swamp anyways. Benfica fans arent exactly going to watch them so its not like anyone would care. So how about it Senior Anchultz!? Buy the whole block except my house and put in the stadium RIGHT HERE! I can cook up some mean empanadas for everyone and will only charge $1.

13. Ron Ferguson

Ron Ferguson New Member

Dec 12, 1998
    I make the drive. I pay the tolls. I would love Metro in my backyard... but it ain't happenin'...

Just like those soccer playing families on Long Island pack Mitchel Field for Metro Cup ties, right? :eek:

I must have missed something, here... when did anyone say that they liked the Meadowlands? This thread is about the probability of Metro Park being funded and built in Harrison, not about how we're all getting fleeced on tolls at river crossings...

14. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    From the article:

Typical. :(

15. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Corazon, I KNOW you don't enjoy the swamp. I was being facetous.

Still, you can't expect big LI Metro support if they're a once a year show.

I would love Metro in my backyard. Note that my backyard is Brooklyn, not LI. I just hate Giants Stadium.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer the stadium in Harrison. I just want to know what y'all think we should do if that plan fails.

16. Ron Ferguson

Ron Ferguson New Member

Dec 12, 1998
    If you have not yet written a letter, do so now. If you choose not to write, you have no right to ever open your mouth about the crap Meadowlands situation of the month...

17. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Actually, Ron. Everyone in my season ticket group has written to every politician on the list that the Metros posted on their web site, so I feel free to complain as loud and as often as I want.

BUT I agree with you..

No Action sgould equal NO Reaction.

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are a couple other articles on this. None of them have McGreevey saying "the Newark arena is on its own" in the way that the Journal does:

NY Times

Bergen Record (2/3 way down)

19. Ganush34

Ganush34 New Member

Metros to BKLYN!!!

20. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    I would think that would be when long islanders would support them -
    If it were the other way around and the Metros played on Long Island, as a supporter of the team, I probably wouldn't be able to go see them as much as I'd like because of the drive, traffic, and overall hassle. However, if I had the opportunity to see them once a year in a more convenient location (like somewhere in Jersey), you better believe I'd be there.
    The fact that the long islanders don't show up in numbers at these once in a while events tells me that there aren't enough supporters there to make a move worthwhile.

21. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    I tend to think that the reason they haven't shown up is NOT not enough supporters-there are ALOT of soccer fans in LI, but rather because they didn't know they were playing there. Metros marketing is rather lacking...it says alot that some people dont know who/where the Metros are playing now, and they've been at Giants Stadium for 6 years!

22. pyanitz

pyanitz New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    NJ
    Its actually more like $2200.00 for coach tickets these days.

23. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    If you care you know. True soccer supporters support soccer.