McClaren: "MLS is Championship top half, lower Premier"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Aug 15, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Walter Smith, Mo Johnston, etc.

This should put the nail in the coffin about MLS's level.

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am suprised people arent going crazy over this....yet

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Clavijo is fired, McClaren can step right in and feel at home.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, that sounds about right, but i'm shocked that an Englishman admitted to it.

6. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm amazed he admitted that after that game of all games. I wonder what he would've called the Crew-FC Dallas game a little later on in the evening, or the Pachuca-Dynamo game last night.

I'm happy people are finally admitting that MLS is good quality. Especially considering our salary cap is so low. Sean Wheelock, where are ya now, ********? I thought we were League 1:rolleyes:

7. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    He must have seen other games then that DC/LA game because that was conference level stuff.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. If you're going to mention Wheelock you have to call them "fixtures", not "games"

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now MLS can invite the top 4 teams in the lower half of the Prem to join SuperLiga. Not serious of course, but it would be interesting.

10. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    That's pretty respectable I think that's about right maybe a little bit higher level. But I am happy with that assesment

11. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is fair. I feel it is a little better, but at least he didnt bash the league.

12. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again, as others have mentioned, McLaren HAS to talk up MLS quality, because he's planning on calling-up Beckham probably for as long as he's in charge (which may not be long, who knows). he can't be seen as a national team manager who's calling up a player from the local pub team (insert LAG jokes here). he has to speak positively about MLS so as to help establish it as a quality league in the eyes of the English public.

this is exactly how i thought McLaren would rate MLS. if that's actually how he rates it, who knows? but that's about what he would have to say politically. he knows he's pretty much stuck into picking Beckham for the foreseeable future. he can't let it be known that he's allowing public favor to dictate him calling up a player from the Qatar 2nd division.

hell, at this point, McLaren would probably compare MLS to Serie A if he could, just to cover his own arse.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I have to disagree with McClaren. I listen to Eurosnobs all the time and they tell us that MLS is barely the top of League One.

So who am I supposed to believe?

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must really suck to be a Eurosnob. Even worse for miscreants like Graham Jones and Oliver Tse.

15. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    McClaren is spot on and i don't believe he's being disingenuous.I also don't believe the LA-DC game is the first or only MLS match he's watched.

16. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Lets hope so

17. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

He stated he will watch every becks game on tape.

18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem is that the top of the Premiership is so far beyond the rest of it.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you can't believe this and you can't believe the Eurosnob...you take the middle...which means MLS is solid Championship soccer.

Not bad if you ask me.

I agree that most teams are Championship level while a few are mid tier Premier level.

20. pollo1970

pollo1970 Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Whenever you make comparisons, you should always take history and resources into account.

21. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Ha,ha about right.

22. supersoft

supersoft Member

May 3, 2002
    Baltimore
    whew. i feel like the kid whose best friend's mom just lied so he wouldn't get in trouble. nice alibi. cause that game was dire, mostly thanks to lag.

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Because he's wrong. He maybe right about the top MLS teams but overall, MLS is mid to lower Championship.

24. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Okay..so we have a league that can play against I dunno...everyone but what..the top 6 teams in the top 4 leagues in the world? Come on...a team like Chelsea can beat a Brazil or Italy any day of the week..expecting a league thats barely over 10 yrs old to come up with a Chelsea is impossible.

25. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I disagree....I don't know whether McClaren is being genuine or not, but I would make that same statement he made about the level of MLS myself based on watching the 3 leagues (not that I'm an authority ;) ).