McCarthy OUT!

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Slash/ED, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I'd be willing to bet there's more too it, at the moment I'd turn down the Scottish job. It's all about reputation, if you take over Scotland now you're a doomed man, they've a decent but unspectacular bunch of players going in different directions and the chance of success is minimum. Contrast that to us, we have a fantastic group of youngsters coming through to add to our already talented crop of players, all working with high team spirit, going in the same direction and we have strenght all over the pitch. The chance for success is amazingly high, look at the reputation McCarthy has amoungst neutruls. Money aside, I'm sure he has more then he needs anyway, that might be the incentive to get him over here.

2. caza

caza New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Longford in Ireland
    What about David O'Leary? I don't know would he take the job at this stage in his career but I know he'd be a popular choice with everyone - even Roy I'd say!

3. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Fair enough,
    But you can apply the challenge logic to Scotland too. What better incentive than to rebuild football in your home country, taking it from its current poor state to something approximating former glories - surely someone like Graham would find that as appealing as managing Ireland.
    I think he still sees himself as a Big Time Charlie and fancies one more crack at a top Premiership job. I mean, Leeds weren't good enough for him so he left for Spurs. I think he still has enough of a reputation intact to be in the running for the first Premiership job that comes available this season, ie Sunderland.
    Given the likes of Sunderland could pay a huge amount more than the FAI, I really think Graham is a long shot.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    It's a good point, I could argue that he would join us so hhe could boost his reputation to get a bigger job then Sunderland but we could argue all night, we'll probably never know.