McBride {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Klay, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Klay

Klay Member

Feb 28, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else see Fulham vs Chelsea..

A goal and earning a penalty, going along with countless aerial winners and coming back on from an injury..

oh yeah, against that Czech Republic goalie.. :)

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: McBride

I like McBride, but people are getting too carried away with the goal. It was a total dropped ball by Cech, which landed at McBrides feet, 3 feet from the goal line. Let's not get crazy about it. With that being said, it's great to see that he is playing well at the moment. I hope it continues thru the WC, obviously.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

McBride played great today. He was winning headers over Terry and the entire Chelsea defense. It was a mistake by cech, but McBride was in the right spot. Great goal.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't want to hijack a positive thread about McBride on the USA Men board, especially since I support him as a player, so this will be my last post on it (I promise). However, a "great goal" is not one in which a goaltender drops an easy ball a few feet from the goal line, right at the feet of an opposing player who flips it in. It simply isn't. No amount of homerism will make it so either. He played very very well in the part of the game that I saw. He got behind the defense twice on great runs. Generally dangerous the entire game. But the goal was because of Cech's error, and wasn't great.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Baros got a brace.

6. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

Baros wasnt playing against Chelsea.

7. MickeyMoney

MickeyMoney Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Northeast Ohio

He was a pest all day that's why Huth was thuggishly high with the elbow early because from the opening whistle he was in Huth and Terry's SS. What I love is after the elbow he was even more of a warrior battling all day against the two centerbacks when the lesser player would have back down he kept up the fight.I don't know how often Terry earns his lofty salary but today he work for his money and that's credit to BMB.The goal was well deserved keeper error or not and what people don't give him credit for is being a goal poacher he get's those goals alot. It was a great poachers goal being right place in time not a beautiful goal.

8. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts

It's about more than the goal. It wasn't just the goal that earned him the "9" rating on SkySports.

9. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    It wasn't a great goal (see above) and I'd give him an 8 before a 9.. That said- he had a fantastic match made Terry and Huth work very hard (and a bit dirty).. Very good showing, they had chances at 2-2 to take the lead..

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't get me wrong i'm as a happy as a pig in mud. but just trying to say that the Czech had a good day too.

11. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001

sure it wasn't a great tactical strike, but it was a goal nonetheless. part of being a good striker is being ready to pounce on your opponent's mistakes. cech goofed and mcbride was at the right place at the right time. but he also did what he needed to do and put the ball in the back of the net.

12. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Overall a great game for Mcbride. He also made some great passes that made a big difference in the match. He looking to be in great form heading into the WC !

13. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

The first of which came off not one, not two, but three hands before being put into the net.
    The last hand was Baros's....

The second goal was very nice.

Oh, and McBride is DA MAN!

14. jordisunshine

jordisunshine Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Lewisburg PA
    Anyone got vid of BM in this game?

15. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

They will replay the match this week on FSC

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone who doesn't think that goal wasn't a "great goal", doesn't know the first thing about soccer, goals, great goals, Stamford Bridge, Americans, Yanks Abroad, 2-1, coming back from an injury with blood in it, Chelsea, Fulham, passion, the term "poacher", excitement, innocense, etc. ad nauseum, or the first thing about life itself.

besides that, you're doing just fine.

what a performance. bravo.

17. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Is the WC next week?

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on right now as a matter of fact.

As for BMB, I've long since given up these moronic discussions. Anyone who can't see the obvious quality, the work rate, the off the ball stuff and all the rest that McBride brings to the pitch every time out, but rather wants to debate whether this or that goal was "a quality strike" or some such idiotic nonsense, just doesn't know what he's talking about and is not worth the effort.

19. tabgio

tabgio New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    NYC

It was a "good strike," And a great performance by a fantastic player.

20. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    relax, anyone with half a brain knows mcbride is a quality player. He was directly responsible for 2 goals vs. what many ppl believe is one of the top 3 best teams in the world. Putting the ball in the net and giving Chelsea a run for their money at "the bridge" is no easy feat.

21. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    any time a us player gets a 9 in the premiership it's good news. Against chelsea, doubly good news

22. unitedunited

unitedunited Member

Sep 16, 2000
    NY, NY
    saw fulham beat blackburn at the cottage a couple weeks ago. McBride didn't score but he was very much a part of the win, one of the most effective palyers up front for fulham throughout the whole 90. His game has improved hugely since he went over to england and it's nice to see him performing with consistency, which is something that americans, due to injury, favoritism or just poor form, have had a hard time finding over there.

23. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Isn't it really more of a fact then a belief at this point?

24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a great goal, a real striker's goal. A wonderful mix of anticipation, aggression, speed, fearlessness, balance and touch.

To say that the ball just "landed at McBride's feet" shows that you don't understand the striker position and the attributes required to play it successfully.

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

I'll admit I haven't been the biggest McBride fan my whole life but he's playing superb ball right now. Despite his age he's a far better player at the moment than he was in December 2001 IMO. I don't think he has enough gas in the tank to go all 270 minutes in the first round, so we do need to find other options up top, but he's one of our best players at the moment and if EJ gets back to form it's probably the best strike force the US has had since the days of Patenaude and Gonsalves, if not ever.