McBride out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 20, 2023.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer that question, don't we have to know what he actually did?

acima, nbarbour, Namdynamo and 30 others repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's just it.

Anyhow, now it's just Stewart and the board.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really think US Soccer really ever defined the GM and Earnies position other than in control of the men's side. So who knows what he actually did. I've always thought he articulated well on TV and seemed to be knowledgeable and likeable. But honestly who knows, he may have just been a figurehead.

USSF is so murky about just about everything there's no real sense of who is doing poorly and who isn't.

Of course being murky for them is by design, or one would imagine anyway.

Interested to see who or if they replace him with and what they discuss as the actual position. Gotta be better.

juveeer, largegarlic and neems repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean for all intents and purposes it was a successful cycle with some good recruiting. Hate to assume that the whole drama fest with the Reynas and GB might be a factor here, but it’s possible.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    do we know that?

we dont even really know what mcbride's job was and we don't know who decided not to renew his contract when it expired at the end of the world cup lol.

also how do you not bring him back when his boss(not sure if he is)stewart felt it was a good wc.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted, I don't know if this really moved the needle as we have no insight into the role. Hard to say whether he has been successful, struggled or failed. He hasn't been in the role for very long. It would be interesting if he decided to move on himself or was gently nughed to move on.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was in the role 3 years.

Working closely with Stewart and Berhalter, McBride’s primary areas of focus will be to oversee the development and management of the player pool, build and guide the culture within the Men’s National Team environment, manage relationships with clubs and represent the USMNT on the global stage.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...amed-general-manager-of-us-mens-national-team

TimB4Last, neems, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have any confirmation he was part of the inappropriate texts accusation from a players family?

This is a low-key big change compared to 4 years ago.

11. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    That Stewart apparently announced the departure to the board, without further details, and that there's been no official statement makes this one a pretty curious leave-taking.

Namdynamo, tomásbernal, ShayG and 3 others repped this.
  12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely flying under the radar. Let’s see if these article writers and podcast celebrities do any investigative work. Not holding my breath.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Just today we got two new tidbits on the Reyna family's u-17 activities and now some of the inside details on this. The beat reporters are doing a fine job on this storyline.

14. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U-17 stuff doesn’t matter to me. I’m not fighting the morale battle here. I’ve seen enough for that determination.

I am earnestly interested in what is deemed “inappropriate” texting to USSF employees and whether there was a “threat” as it was described.

No one at this point is going to Champion the Reynas.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what is known as a "Friday news dump"

neems repped this.
  16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is someone, somewhere reviewing stewarts "performance"?

Namdynamo, juveeer and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    A Friday news dump is when you *announce* the news on Friday on the hopes everyone forgets about it by Monday. This is the very opposite of a Friday news dump, which makes it all the weirder.

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Best guess is that one of them wants to renew Gregg and the other doesn’t. Given how shady the Fed is I have no idea which is which.

Or maybe it’s about who will call it blackmail and who won’t. That would be appropriately petty.

MayaDempsey repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is we don't know whether McBride wasn't retained or just wanted to move on and left on his own. Doesn't really seem like a position that anyone would want for a long time. Wonder if they have several candidates in mind and who gets chosen depends on the coach selected. Mourinho was the hot rumor on twitter last night and "if" actually true I could see a completely different choice than if an American. Dual recruiting would become a big part of the responsibility since I don't believe JM would give a crap about doing that.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FYI during thr coaching convention in Philly a couple weeks ago JT Batsin and Cindy Cone confirmed that McBride contract was up as of first of year and at that time they hadn't made a decision to offer him a new deal because they were reviewing everything.

So sounds more like they just didn't infer him a new deal

superdave and jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Certainly possible that this is what happened, and can't rule it out given the general lassitude US Soccer has for with respect to comms. But if this were the case you'd generally expect a "Thank You Brian" post ready to go, maybe with a nice video of McBride heading in goals. Or at least a more coordinated off-the-record explanation for US Soccer reporters.

But a close read of Borden + Goff's reporting suggests their sources are likely from the next level down in US Soccer. My best guess is the sources also have no idea about what's really going on.

22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Stories like this need a Grant Wahl. There is a void that is yet to be filled in U.S. soccer journalism.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I thought McBride did fine in his role.
    The youth programs are better than they've ever been, and the USMNT had a good cycle.
    He wasn't involved in the Berhalter hiring, nor was he involved (as far as we know) in the issues with Gio. Of all of these USSF types, he walks away with his reputation most in-tact.

McBride will land on his feet just fine in an MLS front office.

juveeer, MayaDempsey, Marko72 and 4 others repped this.
  24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The youth programs were not under McBride’s set of responsibilities. It was just the senior team for him. The GM on the women’s side is in charge of the youth teams, but for the men it’s Stewart and not McBride.

ShayG, gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like they are doing a more holistic review, which is more than just a review of Berhalter. It’s very possible that Stewart and his performance is a part of this review.