McBride impact: Hayles out at Fulham?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by skilmon, Jun 3, 2004.

1. skilmon

skilmon Member

Feb 18, 1999
  2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    My only comment here is that if McBride can't outdo Hayles, he's in trouble and not going to get many starts--Hayles wasn't very impressive (although I might suggest they are slightly different players--Hayles seems to have some promise to be good at some level somewhere as more of a midfielder--he does have the odd nice move).

As an indication of their confidence in BMB, this appears to be a good sign.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think Hayles showed Cookie + company that he wasn't cutting it in the EPL. I'm waiting to see who Fulham bring in this summer. Marlet is set on being sold. Between that money and the cash coming in from the sale of Saha, I expect Fulham to make a move for someone new to play up top. They've been linked with Michael Bridges. But I don't see him as being signed as anything more than bench warming material. Maybe it'll be Carlton Cole?

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am pretty sure there will be some new faces added, just for insurance if nothing else

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I was never impressed with Hayles in the Premiership -- frankly, I'm surprised Fulham stuck with him as long as they did since moving up. At any rate, they can do better.

6. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    In fairness, the sale of Saha forced Coleman to play Hayles (and buy McBride for that matter). With the proceeds, Coleman will surely buy another striker this summer.

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fulham should be looking for a new striker this summer. After the sale of Saha, Coleman said that he would use the money to replace him.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Like Brian Ching. Then they'd have Brian Bookends.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or not a sign at all, beyond the fact that they like BMB more than Hayles. The sign will be in who they bring in now. Not all the Saha money is being made available, though, is it?

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC confirms this as true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/3787557.stm

Apparently Hayles was not very happy with the way Coleman treated him, especially considering how long he had been with the club. Well, c'est la vie... his loss just might be McBride's gain. Of course Fulham will probably buy another striker this summer, but hopefully he gets at least a bit of Hayles' playing time.

11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Cry me a river and open your eyes. He truly stunk and was lucky to make the bench, let alone getting a few starts over McBride and Sava.

12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it did not. That was a Coleman choice that clearly did not work out. Moreover, it appeared to me that Coleman gave Hayles more than ample opportunity to prove himself over McBride who, for a stretch, came on as a sub when Hayles was removed from games. When Hayles was alongside McBride, he never got himself into position, and with or without McBride, couldn't handle the ball properly anyway. Coleman figured that out and Hayles went to the bench, then even failed to make the bench by the end of the season. And, McBride was back to starting.

13. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying I agreed with Hayles, but that was his position. I don't think he was good enough either, not better than McBride at least.

14. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I know ... I was telling Hayles to cry me a river. :)

15. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hayles was not EPL quality.