Maybe the press are oblivious to what's going on

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Plxix, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
  2. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Re: Mayeb the press are oblivious to what's going on

[​IMG]

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Don't tease Plxix. She has a pretty disturbing obsession with sheep.

4. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

the interesting thing about this, is that loudy isnt the one their questioning. I havent heard her since they cut her off for the brit dude during the norway game. makes you wonder, did they fire her???

5. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

Hey that's oman in the pic!

haha you look good! Is that your boyfriend behind you?

6. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi

On the MLS game broadcast tonight the issue of the GK change came up. The commentator said he couldn't defend Ryan on changing the GK before a big game. He said you just don't do that, and Bruce Arena would never do it because he knows better as a former keeper. Of course, that's why Solo was floored and rattled by it. It's just something that is not done. I think the word is gobsmacked.

7. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Really? You think switching her was a bad decision?

Can you explain yourself?

8. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

lol

9. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
  10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

To the extent the "mainstream" press gives a damn.

It's been real ladies. But this is a big college football weekend and the MLS is about ready to matter.

Until the next hissy fit.

[​IMG]

11. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007

The MLS is still around?

12. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

Sad, isn't it?

People who don't know shit about soccer, use that to pass judgement.

13. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona

Its Alan Hopkins. Does anyone actually take anything that doofus says seriously?

14. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

To be honest, I've always been curious as to why he has a job...

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

You don't have to be soccer analyst to know when someone is dissing their own team mate in any sport.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

I have to say how bummed I am in Alan Hopkins. His "knowledge" of the game and the players has gone the Politically correct route since his move to ESPN. The fact that ESPN are passing him off as an "expert" is very frustrating.

What is interesting, that since Foudy was quoted in that SF paper where she slammed Ryan, and her latest remarks where she slammed Solo during the 3rd-place and Final game, we have not heard boo from her...or Dicicco or Mitts for that matter.

Instead we are hearing from Alan Hopkins???

17. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I don't know what's so hard to understand. Everyone thinks Ryan made a mistake with the GK move, team management and general leadership. Just about everyone thinks Solo made a stupid selfish mistake in her comments. In the middle of a tournament taking her off the team was the only real option.

Both are true.

18. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999

Except for the part about the long reconciliation I thought Hopkins comments were good.

Ryan, Lilly, Wambach et al seem to think Briana Scurry is just as good a keeper as Hope Solo, while Hope Solo seems to think that is just not the case. To me it is just a difference of opinion, and it is not Solo's opinion that determines who plays.

The coach and the team were not bothered by the goalkeeper switch -- OK, Julie Osborne was a little bit in hindsight -- so Solo doesn't really have a right to complain on that account -- despite the fact that the general public are crucifying Ryan for it. This same general public claimed Ryan would be touted as a genius if Scurry played well and the US won. A little too fickle for my taste.

The general public will continue to crucify Ryan, Lilly, and the USWNT as a whole if they continue to ostracize Solo. But it is their decision to make (as long as they are still with the team), not ours.

I do find it ironic that former USWNT players and coaches Chastain, Foudy, Mitts, and DiCicco are so willing to criticize the USWNT and its coaches and players, the latter three being paid by ESPN. So much for the "keeping it within the team". True, while only Mitts might be considered to be a current team member, if the code of public silence is as strong as national team players and coaches say it is, I would think it would apply to former members of the team as well.

19. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

maybe to you bolo not to me. i have no problem with what she said. im sick of this double standard between male and female atheletes. God forbid a woman has the courage to speak the truth. I just saw an interview with Tiki and he talked about criticism against him for comments he has made in the past about teammates and coaches (which he was never disciplined for). He says he never has regrets about being honest. He made a distinction between malicious and honest. He is a good guy and i respect him and i think hope is following the same view. what she said was honest. it was not malicious. She had the courage to stand up for herself and she still refuses to appologizes for speaking from her heart, and i applaud her for it.

20. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Htide,

Fair commentary except a few points that need to be made. During the time when the giants were dysfunctional (and Barber was on the team) Barber didn't single out Manning he talked about being out coached and out played. When he did talk about Manning in particular it was after he was done playing and people even questioned that choice then. The quote was "Barber out of bounds?" Owens (perhaps one of the best receivers in football)was ostracized, suspended and later traded from the Eagles for his comments about McNabb. Randy Moss was traded from the Vikings for his comments about Daunte Culpepper. There is a double standard but not in the way you suggest. T.O and Randy were universally criticized and painted as malcontents, where Solo is being applauded.

I'm all for Women speaking out especially in the face of injustice but think you have to pick your spots and just don't think defending a woman who unfairly denigrated another woman is a spot I would choose as my start to the gender equality fight.

That fight would be better served asking why USMNT players make less than their male counter parts, why no women can coach the women (like england), or even why the womens ad's are comical while the men's ads are heroic from Nike but not the right to bash your teammate.

Especially when it was a group of WOMEN who chose to cast her out.

EDIT: Have you seen the attacks from Pix and others calling the women they disagree with Bitc*** and other things? Does that kind of commentary support the right for women to speak their mind? Is it only ok for woment to speak their mind when they agree with you?

The double standard here is that everyone supports Solo's right to speak her mind but not of the other players to speak theirs. Ironic.

21. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Bolo so when scurry said her had ryan had talked about her playing if they reached brazil because she was better against them, how it that not the same thing solo said?

and to compare solo's comments to some of the punks in the nfl like t.o. only weakens your argument. Solo was speaking with a huge sense of pain about a bad coaching decision. She has beend the only person supporting the team because she is the only one honest enough to say that without her in the goal they had no chance against brazil. Im not going to hold what she said against her. I only wish other could be so real.

22. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

T.O. who has hall of fame numbers, was speaking with the pain of loosing the super bowl and feeling McNabb was not the best choice at QB (sound familiar?)

I don't think Solo is the first player to sit on the bench who thought they could have made a difference if they had been allowed to play, should all of them do the same? So where is this double standard, except that Owens, upset over the loss of the Super bowl was suspended for the remainder of the season?

Is that really the kind of USWNT you want, one where players (in pain) who don't play are encouraged to criticize their coach and put down the abilities of other players? Do you think that would healthy for the team long term?

23. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

I think you shouldn't take it out of context to where, a coaching decision will upset a player and hence they should just voice.

We should focus on THAT KIND of decison, which is beyond the the wildest imagination of the soccer world as a whole. You have to weight in on the reasoning before bringing it to a generalization.

24. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006

I call the some of the others bitches because of the comments they made towards Hope while in the studio at ESPN. Maybe they thought it's business as usual because the media spin played to their favor.

Joe Porter complained about not playing enough on 3rd downs. Is he implying that he's better than the other guy who did play? Sure he is. Is he attacking the coaches decision? You bet. The other player is just collateral damage and that's how it goes. He's not affraid to say it, because the media isn't going to spin the "you shouldn't hurt your teamate's feelings in a team sport".

Fact is, in the history of sport you got more than plenty of cases like this. However when a male athele does it, the media tend to be focused and subjective on the matter, rather than play it at a different angle.

25. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH

Your posts are excellent, Bolo ... and this is right on the money! Thanks!