Maybe the best thing in USA soccer history?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Delta Blues, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    All I've seen is debate and discussion on the US team, players, coaching and entire body of WC performance, as well as speculation and actual interest into what's going to be done about it. Folks, maybe all the hype has really made a lot more folks actually care about what happened? The PTI guys, Around The Horn, and several other sports shows have given serious time and thought to it. The consensus seems to be this is going to be an issue for four years, not just an afterthought. If by some miracle we get say Klinsman, or another well known coach I feel as if we'll actually be covered in a serious and respectful way the next four years.

Compare this to '98 when it was "we suck" and it was forgotten in a day.

Yes, it's a real empty feeling right now, but I'm more excited about the next incarnation of our national team than I've ever been.

2. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm with you Delta Blues. I have been surprised by the amount of air time this has received. Some of it has been sarcastic and/or mocking. But at least they are talking about the USMNT. Somebody once said "There's no such thing as BAD publicity".

3. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be forgotten on Around the Horn, PTI, and the mainstream media before the Baseball All-Star game, as will the entire World Cup.

4. Lionel Mandrake

Lionel Mandrake New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I agree completely...These television programs are talking about this now, but, come on, the US was only eliminated yesterday. Let's see if they are talking about this next week. Let's not kid ourselves. Soccer is still behind Baseball, Football, and Basketball from a sports media perspective. The NBA draft is next week, and by Sunday the focus will be on that...not the US performance.

I do agree that the

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    What I'm saying is that when events which elevate these boards concerning US soccer happen, competitions, big player news, etc., we'll actually see coverage and discussion. The WC ratings are high, even non-US matches. More of the general public is actually upset at what happened and I just believe genuine interest instead of apathy will spur more consistent coverage. How any of you could assume I meant we'd eclipse, or even approach NBA, MLB, NFL etc. is beyond me, rudely assuming and absurd.

6. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we are telling you that it will be forgotten in a month. How you could extrapolate that I assumed you meant it would approach the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc, is beyond me, rudely assuming, and absurd.

7. alffy

alffy Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Seattle-ish
    DeltaBlues you have read my mind! Watching PTI discussing the problems of the US WC tonight I had the same thoughts. I don't remember this much coverage following the first (or even second) round in 2002!

I like your points- I think the coverage will, of course, drop off, but...I can see continued interest/coverage- say when Bruce "steps down", speculation of who will replace him, coverage of his replacement (I've been thinking of Klinsmann since before the WC started- assumed, regardless of results, Bruce wouldn't stay for a third cup), and interest of first matches under new boss.

I DON'T expect continued coverage/interest from media/general public, but I DO expect more intermittent coverage/interest over the next four years.

And that IS an improvement!

8. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Allfy I could agree with you, but lets not confuse the words intermittent with consistent.

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Semantics. As far as US Soccer is concerned intermittent *is* consistent. :D