Maybe off topic but where is "In soccer we trust"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Kirium, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    So I think this is kind of news and analysis because I think it's a great podcast and discusses a ton of analysis about the USMNT.

But no podcast now for 3 weeks and today I noticed it was linking to "kicking it" with dempsey and davis and henry and Kate.

Anyone know anything?

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    They are moving to the Golazo network -- so TV -- and it's just Charlie and Jimmy. They didn't want Heath, apparently, which is a bummer, because Charlie is just hot take city.

I don't get the Golazo network. Who is watching that?

Marko72 and nobody repped this.
  3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That is a bummer. Why no Heath? The vibe was made by the kind of semi-opposing tendencies of the 3 of them. The two of them, I just don't really see it.

Marko72 repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the little I saw Heath was the best one. Maybe he's going somewhere else?

Marko72 repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone gets Golazo network. It's free on streaming through CBS sports app. Or do you mean you don't get why it exists?

jond repped this.
  6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I've always been a Conrad fan, most of all. Just like his personality and temperament, but yeah, I thought Heath was a nice contrast to Conrad and Davies.

Not surprising in some ways. Soccer Soup only lasted 2 years, I think it became the crack podcast, and it changed who was actually on it repeatedly. These things are typically short lived.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That one.

Burr repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Heath is a regular color guy for AppleTV MLS Season Pass, so that's where he he gets his paycheck, I assume.

I don't know if CBS didn't want him there because he's too reasonable or because he's under contract with a competitor and they want to brand strongly within Golazo. I could see either.

From what I've seen of Golazo, it's much more hot take city. Like a mini-ESPN that hasn't gone full Steven A. Smith but heading in that direction. Heath doesn't fit there.

Marko72, Jazzy Altidore and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    On one of the ISWT vlogs, it was stated that AppleTV didn't want Heath on the show..

10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Usually it's one of three things:
    1. Contractual issues

2. Preference for a 2 person arrangement to reduce issues that can come from 3 people talking over each other.

3. Personality conflict.

I tend to think it's 1 and 2 since the sense I got was it was a fun thing they were doing at first and they actually like each other.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, bummer that Heath won't be on the show. He's the most reasonable guy there.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I watched the show a bit in the build-up to Qatar, and he seemed to be the most thoughtful of the three. The other two I found entertaining (up to a point), but my guess is that I am not within Golazo's targeted market.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think he and Conrad are more, honest, I think Conrad's a bit more media personality'd in a way, because he's been doing for like a decade plus, but I was always fond of Conrad because he really is a bit heydudey as a personality. Davies is more slick, and Pearce is more straight and direct if that makes sense. Which is why I felt it worked. Each person kind of smoothed each other, Pearce and Davies getting Conrad to be a bit more serious, Pearce and Conrad getting Davies to be a bit more on point, and Davies and Conrad lightening up Pearce a bit.

Without any of them, it suffers.

Winoman repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Nigel Reo-Coker works for MLS Season Pass, and is also on CBS' UEFA Coverage.......

Chesco United, tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  15. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    It's really a bummer. I like Charlie but it was Jimmie and Heath that made that podcast, as mentioned.

After reading this I guess I somehow missed the announcement.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's in the last available pod, I think. But otherwise, I haven't seen anything.

17. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    During my search I hit up reddit and they had a big thread about it.

Like here, most there seemed to think Heath was pretty essential and balanced Jimmie well. Most also didn't care if Charlie was a part of the podcast or not.

Kind of how I feel about it. I mean I like Charlie but Jimmie and Heath were the podcast.

Eighteen Alpha and gogorath repped this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Isn't Heath the best analyst of the three? Too critical of USSF?

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Not hot-takey enough.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like our lb situation for a while <rimshot>

21. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I bet more than anything they wanted the "names" of Dempsey, Edu and Davies and of course Kate Abdo (who is great to look at and incredibly smart, if you've not read her bio it's quite impressive).

However, for just gold ole footie/soccer talk I prefer Heath and Jimmie.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey with those two would be fun. He seems to fit in with any group though. Davies is the odd man out for me. He really doesn't add much to anything I see or listen to with him other than being mocked by others.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's part of CBS/Paramount's soccer strategy which from the USMNT angle will rely heavily on Charlie Davies and his connections. We've seen this before. ESPN with Lalas and Fox with Twellman. Herculez Gomez on ESPN is also part of that trend.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it doesn't involve Heath and it's not interactive, then it's not ISWT.

Heath should just start another one. It might even be better, if Charlie's not involved. Jimmy would be missed, but maybe a suitable replacement could be found. Someone peppier than Heath.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Frankie Heyduk up for something like this? Also speaking of those missing what happened to the guy that did plus / minus after every US game? I loved those as they challenged what I thought and many times agreed with what I thought. probably too much work.

gogorath repped this.