Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe f*** yourself. - new summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by FabregasTED, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Inspired by the one and only Homeat.

[​IMG]

Seemed very appropriate considering all the players we've been linked to.

2. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    Why are we being linked to Shaun Wright-Phillips again? Is Wenger trying to tell Walcott "if you don't work hard, this is what you will become"?

3. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Villa. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

4. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember someone on here calling him a "poof" a few years back.

5. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    And to think that at one point, he gave Wenger a "come and get me" type plea in the papers.....

6. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not worth £30m, is he?

7. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    To Wenger's defense, I'm not sure where Wenger would have come up with the money at that time.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    did he?

I thought he just said he liked how Arsenal play? the same with Kaka

And considering he never was really interested in coming to the premiership at the time (his wife was preggo and didnt want to move her), im not sure how much truth their is in that

the same with Wenger said he mad a bid for Villa in January

9. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might have been a bit cheaper at the time, but I don't blame Wenger. I'm not sure Valenica would have sold him at the time. I'm sure Valencia would have loved to keep both him and David Villa, but supposedly they are £400m in debt -- they're forced to sell.

10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Valencia were in debt, and Villa was expected to be sold to raise funds. It didn't happen, but that was the speculation. Very few players come right out and say, "I want to play for X club." Most of them say, "I like the way X club plays" or "I like the coach" or "I'm flattered that good teams like X are interested in me." His statement was about as close as it's going to get. There is no other reason for him to specifically reference Arsenal for praise.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I always want more of a context when things come from Spain because the English media does a great job of chopping things up and giving a slanted context on the words

in saying that, at that time it was known that Villa didnt want to leave Spain (i mixed it up, his wife was pregnant in 2009 but it has always been either Barcelona or Madrid)

he probably praised Arsenal because Arsenal play nice football, the same way Kaka and others have praised Arsenal...

I really dont think it was a come get me plea for Arsenal, but its irrelevant now since he is already gone to Barca

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    plus do u really think if we had a bid accepted real and barca would'nt also dive in?

13. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We should sign Ozil even if we don't sell Cesc. Cesc can't even get a sniff with his national team, so clearly Ozil is better.

;)

14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am completely certain now that Cesc isn't going anywhere. It's the second time in this tournament he hasn't even seen the field because of the players ahead of him. He needs to stay with us until Xavi is ready to step aside. I hope he sees what's going on here.

15. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Let me ask do you think it's would be the same scenario if he was based in Spain? Personally I don't as Xabi has been based here for 5 years and was still guaranteed a first XI spot. He's just not ready yet, and will play when Xabi starts fading, which will take a while as I feel he might pull a Giggs/Scholes.

16. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Comparing Cesc's playing time for Spain to the probability of him playing a Barcelona is not straightforward. Sure, he would be competing with many of the same players; however, there would be a different player picking the team, and from what I can tell, Guordiola believes in him while de Bosque doesn't seem to be impressed with Cesc's talent. When you see Biquick starting for Spain over Cesc, you have to believe that if someone else was picking the team, Cesc would have a good chance of staking his place in the side.

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i'll be honest, if he goes to barca i hope he turns into an utterly useless donkey who can't manage to kick anything but his own ass.

18. Ryoichi

Ryoichi Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Here.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Sergi Busquets is actually a good player and besides he's not Cesc's competition for a place in the Spanish starting XI.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    if he is that piece of the puzzle that brings, no, guarantee you the champion's league title then he's worth every bit of £30m . . . at least if you can afford it.

if not then, y'know, he's a nice luxury. :D

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    would fabregas or xavi hernandez be the one replacing busquet in the lineup?

21. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither. Cesc and Xavi play the same position. Busquets sits in the holding role in front of the defense for both Spain and Barca.

22. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...t-join-Barcelona-after-all-article503423.html

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    does that mean everyone has finally realised barca can't afford him? (because he COULD have said similar to this a month ago)
    call me an old cynic.......

am i the only person who thinks if cesc stays he has tainted his relationship with the club and fans to some degree that only a phenomenal season might overcome?

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely been tainted, but it's more disappointment than betrayal. I always knew it was coming. That said, i don't see him leaving this season, so he'd better practice his badge kissing.

"I always want to play. I'm not used to sitting on the bench." Something to think about there, Fran.

Anyway, who wants Mertesacker for 10 million pounds?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290831/Arsenal-eye-10m-Per-Mertesacker-David-Moyes-urges-Everton-sell-Phil-Jagielka.html

25. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually misread the earlier post because I had just read that David Silva had just signed for City. Not sure David Villa is worth £30m either given his age -- at 28, he probably only has 4 years left at a high level. His residual value will start top drop off a cliff in 2 years.

But yeah, he's a great talent, no doubt. Valencia fans must feel gutted.