May the lovefest begin - The Aaron Ramsdale Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BIGHMW, Sep 27, 2021.

1. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now it's not often that I have posted a thread dedicated to one particular player, not since I once famously touted Nacho Monreal as "the best leftback in the League" a few years ago when Arsene Wenger knew he had a lock on that left side of the defense with him in the Starting XI (and that he did!) have I been excited enough to do a thread on someone......

Until the very day that Aaron Ramsdale put on that Arsenal shirt and took his place between the sticks for the Gunners, this young man has won over the hearts of almost every Gooner who has seen him play, especially after his gutsy performance against Spuds yesterday, he has just been a WARRIOR (this coming from the one and only "Heavy Metal Warrior" from back in my old days as frontman for hardcore/thrash group S.M.F. from 1994-2002) in goal for us and has earned 4 clean sheets and conceded only one goal in all comps (5 appearances, 3 in the PL, 2 in the EFL Cup) and his reaction to almost stopping Hueng-Min Son's goal (but not quite) shows that (sort of) "Modelo Especial Fighting Spirit" he has had since putting on the cannon shirt in goal for us.

Ramsdale has shown that he will claw, tear, and scratch for every claim he stakes and every save he makes, and he is not afraid to be a leader for that defense that definitely needs one and perhaps he just might even be the next great backstop for England in a future World Cup, so Jordan Pickford had better watch his back. I know it may be a stretch, but he is quite probably the best keeper we have had (from his early appearances) since David Seaman (and I have read how competitive he was with us before I came onboard, if our double-winning seasons in 1998 and 2002 don't prove it already), and if this is the case than I think we may be in line for a trophy or two this season and/or a return next season to European competition.

What do you guys think??? Let the lovefest begin!!! COYF'n'G!!!

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post. I just pray it won't turn out to be a bit aspirationally hyperbolic. ;) For me it's a bit early to judge, but I'm right behind Ramsdale now. As perhaps is Bernd Leno even, based on what I heard about him giving Aaron a hug right after FT yesterday.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s better than Leno already for me

4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't help myself while reading that line. :p
    Besides, with BIGHMW's legendary front man status, I didn't want him to think he could sneak one past us, just like we wouldn't want anyone to sneak one past our new #1!!

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsdale's play and attitude have been nothing short of a revelation to many of us fans, and perhaps an inspiration to his new teammates.

So kudos to him for quickly making Leno an afterthought, AND for winning Player of the Month honors! (I sure voted for him)
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/ramsdale-our-player-month-again

Now the only thing seems to be that if/when we ship out Leno, we really need to work on having an excellent/reliable #2.

BIGHMW repped this.
  6. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure the best place to put this, so feel free to repost on other threads here.

I assume this is true/accurate, and if so, it might explain part of Ramsdale's performance after WC last season.

I fully realize these are professionals paid millions to ply their skills, but they are fundamentally human. My wife and I had a very similar experience, so this hits close to home. If Arteta gave Ramsdale the option to take time off, then full credit to him also.

BIGHMW, thebigman and NorthBank repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's brutal at any time. But on an airplane? OMG

In another thread, while discussing the implications of the Raya rumors, I said something like "there could be something going on with Aaron that we're not privvy to". I suppose this could fall into that category.

In any case, support & love to Aaron, his wife and fam.

BIGHMW repped this.
  8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess the message to Ramsdale on this potential Raya deal doesn't really change. It's probably always been presented as, "we are competing for 4 trophies this season and we need strong keepers for all 4 competitions."

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn that’s awful

10. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's a solid read right there. Class act all around. His vision of what football should be is spot on. There's no need for it to be a vehicle for hate.

NorthBank repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. What a story and well-told. Much bigger respect for Aaron than even before. And so glad he & his missus are expecting again.

Then there are the few choice quotes that made me chuckle:

'My dad, he’s a proper old-school character. He don’t like none of this fancy European football with the ball at the keeper’s feet. No, no, no. He kept saying he was gonna ring up Mr. Arteta and tell him: HOOF IT UP TO THE NUMBER 9, SON.'

'I remember him explaining to me that he wanted me to play a lot higher, and a lot more aggressive. And so every day in training, I would play higher, and more aggressive. And he’d say, “No, no, higher.” Every day, higher. “Yes, yes. No, Higher.” I’m thinking: f****** hell, I’m near the halfway line. How much higher?'

'When we got the bus, Bukayo was quiet. Usually, we always have something to chat about, even after a loss. But it was just dead silent. So I sent him a text, even though he was sat right next to me, asking if he was OK and if he wanted to chat. We had a five-minute chat...'