May 23 Friendly in Nashville TN

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by csctn, Feb 23, 2006.

1. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Sounds good. I can't wait to find out who they will be playing. I know there were rumors over an Egypt friendly, but I was under the impression that that game would be played in Cleveland.

The only thing that worries me about this "send off" thing is that the games are so darn close to each other.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They should be. It's supposed to simulate actual World Cup group play as best as can be expected.

5. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good eye, csctn. This just might work out for me. Northwest owes me a ticket that I need to use by summer. We have to visit family in Chattanooga for the Memorial Day weekend, but I could fly to Nashville for the match then get back home in time to get the wife and kids.

I wonder if I should jump on plane tickets and hotel now or wait for official USSF confirmation. :confused:

6. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm....maybe I could make it up from Atlanta for that one. I always thought it was interesting that the Titans stadium was clearly built with soccer in mind, yet never used for such.

7. Beck11

Beck11 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Nashville/Knoxville

They have had several Mexican teams so far.

8. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Why does US soccer host games on Tuesdays/Wednesdays etc..???? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Every game should be held on Saturday or Sunday. I think they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not hosting games only on weekends.

For example, I think more people would be inclined to make the drive from ATL, Birmingham, Memphis, Jackson, Lexington, etc... for a weekend game in Nashville. However, since this will be close to the world cup, they will probably sell a lot of tickets regardlesss. I also hope they pick a great team. (Argentina, Chile, Ireland) .... no it will probably be Haiti....

I can go to the games regardless, but I think they sell many more tickets on weekend games.

It should still be a good atmosphere:
    http://www.titansonline.com/stadium/stadium_overview/

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great stadium. I saw the LA Galaxy play UAG Tecos there several years back. I will be coming up from Tuscaloosa with a bunch of people.

10. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I know, but I'm jost hoping no one gets injured. KNOCK ON WOOD. KNOCK ON WOOD.

11. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I'm being rewarded for flying across country twice in the last month to see the team in Cali! SWEEEEEEET! This will be a blast! It'll be my 10th cap to boot.

12. ajvf97

ajvf97 Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering why, of all places, Nashville is being chosen as a site for a U.S. Soccer match. That kind of came out of nowhere. I had no idead that the Coliseum hosted matches before. What is support like for soccer in that part of TN? My guess is that the choice of Nashville is to get the MNT more exposure in all parts of the country. Not just places like LA, Boston, NY,DC,SF,CHI, etc. I mean look at Salt Lake City for a qualifier last year. I thought that match wouldn't even come close to selling out. Real Salt Lake was only in existence a few months. Utah and soccer just didn't seem to go together. Then I ended up flying out there from my home in CA, went to the game and was totally in awe of the support and the sellout! Given the surprise and the electric atmosphere I'm just saying that that same might or might not happen in Nashville. I think the point is to give everyone across the nation the chance to see the national team. While on the subject, any ideas/rumors on where the May 26 & 28 friendlies will be? These all seem to be bunched together in a short time frame. Remember gotta have a healthy team going to Germany knock on wood. Just ask Chris Armas '02 knock on wood.

13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be an ideal time to visit my son and daughter-in-law in Nashville. He's soccer-savvy and should be up for a local match (we drove to Birmingham last year to see USMNT play the Guats).

14. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I think it is idiotic to have the game on Tuesday instead of a weekend.

However, if the opponent is decent, I think they will get a very big crowd. Nashville has many big soccer clubs and support there. And, there are a number of other large cities in the area. The stadium is very new and very impressive.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're trying to simulate WC conditions by having a succession of three games only a few days apart from each other in three different cities. They can't all be on a weekend.

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Yeah, I can see how your 10th cap would be exciting and all, but man you've got a lot of work to do if you want to make the final 23.

17. goalscorer111

goalscorer111 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
  18. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: U.S. warm-up game in Nashville

Great news, plan on making the trip.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  20. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Play some more of these games in NY please!!!!!!!

21. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Great town. Great stadium.

This should be a lot of fun.

22. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think of it as a reward for us Southern transplants who showed up in the 37K strong crowd in SF. Looking forward to the trip and the game. Nashville's a great city, good time of year there (wonder if the weather in TN/NC is like the weather in the German cities then), should be lots of fun.

23. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    All I can say is about time. Here's to a good showing by Nashville and the Nats as well.

24. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    nice! more nats games in the southland!

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Go Hartford-Memorial Day Weekend! That place kicked ass. Perfect size for a friendly match. The grass still will be growing in at Foxboro.