Matthew Olosunde at Preston North End

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 31, 2015.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It really depends. A lot of MU kids get good loans and go on to good careers. See Cathcart at Watford, Keane at Burnley, etc.

I don't think Olosunde is going to go on to make it at Man United but I do think he's getting an excellent footballing education and he'll get his shot on loan somewhere or in a permanent move and be a good footballer. Whether that's Premier League quality I can't say.

For all the lamenting of churn and burn at Chelsea a ton of their guys go on to play at good levels around the world. Miazga may just be a side bet for them but he's a better player now because of his loan at Vitesse. If he can secure another loan at Espanyol or a Bundesliga club next season then his career is on a great trajectory regardless of whether he ever plays another game for Chelsea.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I generally agree. But I think it is less than ideal to be tied to a club where you have little or no hope of ever appearing for the first team. Hopefully it all works out for Olosunde.

TxEx repped this.
  3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't necessarily disagree with you but not everyone's path can be the same. Some kids have to reach for the stars and fail before they truly become pros and can take the next step. Some kids don't ever get the opportunity and have to work their way up level by level. Others see the big name, nice paycheck and learn a lot but never get a chance. Doesn't mean they failed. I don't think Julian Green is horribly worse off for failing to make the breakthrough at BM.

Miazga's agent steered him to Chelsea because he has history there but there was no guarantee Miazga would have ever gotten a chance at a Premiere League Club otherwise. I can't fault a kid for dreaming big even if a second division club was probably a more realistic level.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously pretty tough to refuse signing at Manchester United when they come calling as an 18 year old American kid.

5. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    And get you into Oxford because your parents demand you continue your education. I remember reading that in an article when he signed. Maybe thats why he hasnt been a big part of this cycle, Oxford refuses to release him ;)

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  6. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're playing the odds, this is not the endeavor for you.

But when you take an objective look at the numbers, the odds of a Manchester United youth player making it as a first division professional in Europe's top 5 leagues are actually very, very, good relative to other European clubs.

Only the youth players at a handful of Spanish and French clubs, and a smaller handful of German clubs, have better odds of making it as a first division pro in a top 5 league in Europe.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the contrary, I am a high-risk, high reward type of gambler.

So maybe we should play these odds ;). Really though, interesting information. Manchester United certainly has brought more youngsters through in recent years than say, its cross-town rivals. Are there stats on this?

8. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #108 chrome_vapors, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Most the numbers I've come across over the past 2 - 3 years mirror the same findings in this CIES report from last season.

The study defines a club's academy product as a player who was trained by the club for at least three years from 15 - 21.

We want to look at Figure 7.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.46.56 PM.png

I'm not making a subjective argument that Manchester United's academy is the 4th best in the world or anything like that. Way too many factors at play. The fact that Manchester United has a leg up in recruiting and buying talent relative to most clubs will skew the numbers above in their favor, but that same club advantage is also an advantage for our boy Olosunde as he tries to make it as a pro.

If we were making subjective arguments for who's academy is the best at educating players, Atletic Club certainly has a strong case. The fact that they can produce like that while working with a talent pool drawn from a civilian population of only 1 - 2 million is ridiculous.

Namdynamo and beamish repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any of us have any idea of what his odds are.

On the other hand, Dallas Cup is a great place to get scouted.

10. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Started for Manchester United in a 4-1 loss against Chivas.

Attached Files:

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm shocked they lost 4-1, even though that age group is kind of mediocre for United's standards. I forget how young Matt is sometimes.

12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It's easy to make excuses but it would have taken them 18 hours of flights to reach Dallas and the humidity and heat will take acclimatisation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were off the pace against a better prepared team.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MaxKeeper

MaxKeeper New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #114 MaxKeeper, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/852334269099913216?embed_source=clientlib&player_id=5&rpc_init=1

Matthew Olosunde was top scorer for @MANCHESTERUNITED... two strategic goals at the Dallas Cup; Aggressive dribble attack, great footwork and keeper nutmeg for the game winner against real Salt Lake; then, a header equalizer against Brazil's Coritiba; A clutch winner and a key equalizer : A New Jersey American Star is Born for ManU at the Dallas Cup !!! When will the teenager move from the U23 reserves to the ManU first team ?

15. MaxKeeper

MaxKeeper New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE BLACK PULISIC.

17. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    From what I've seen of Olosunde (back with the U17s, and then highlights of ManU), his style reminded me of Dortmund's Dembele. They dribble in that really technical but choppy way, feint super smooth and unpredictably, and both are fast as hell. I mean they play dissimilar positions and obviously Dembele has a higher ceiling but that goal he scored vs RSL showcased the similarities I think.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny I actually also thought that particular dribble and score resembled Dembele. It doesn't hurt that they have similar body types.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Come on, I hope people aren't serious.

He's a 19 year old part time starter for Man United's U-23 team. He's not the next Ousmane Dembele. He has always been a defender (or at least since I remember following his career). If he had a second position other than RB, it would probably be CB.

He's a competent footballer. Its not surprising he could not look out of place in wide midfield. Yedlin can go stretches looking competent at that position. Anyone who plays the game at the level he does should be able to occasionally make a really skillful play. He does not at all resemble Dembele, and he's not an attacker.

bballshawn repped this.
  20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He's definitely not 'part-time'. He's started in 80% of their games lol

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    55% actually. They've played 20 games, he's started 11.

Thats besides the point though. I'm not trying to denigrate his ability. He might turn into a good player, but the Demble comparisons are illogical.

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude nobody said he was the next Demebele. Posters went out of their way to prevent someone from interpreting it that way but of course, there's always one.

superdave, ebbro and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Even talking about similarities just seems silly. They aren't at all alike.

wellno repped this.
  24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your opinion. You are one person.

Personally I see EXACTLY what @Brotheryoungbuck is talking about in regards to dribbling mechanics, and apparently I'm not the only one.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch the highlight? It resembled Dembele. We are allowed to make stylistic comparisons between players, even on very different levels of play. And no one is saying he will be as good as Dembele. Stop embarrassing yourself.