Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. LivingStone

LivingStone Member

Barca
    United States
    May 21, 2019
    What is Raman doing more of than Hoppe? It can't be scoring. It's not hold up play. Please advise.

Mark Paulson repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Where have people seen extended examples of Hoppe's game against top competition with decent supporting cast?

I'd love to have a strong opinion about him, but I've only seen him play for Schalke, which is as big a professional league outlier as one could find this season.

Have folks seen him in other environments? What's the opinion there? Anyone see him much at Strikers or Barca?

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He’s done. Stick a fork in him. If only he had a future ... But this is just science. Accept it.

sXeWesley and gogorath repped this.
  4. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have. In fact there maybe a reason why 7 million is floated. See my Transfermarkt posts with him or original #hoppechallenge posts and what his buy-out clause maybe.

He has legit talent. Was ostracized because of Barca academy (best place for usa talent) = mls competition= try to send him to San Diego state.

Will see what happens. Was a giant mistake to resign, but yeah Ajax can be a place for him.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm interested to see. I would love for him to go to Ajax for personal reasons, and if he's ok playing in the Ered some of the time, it could be a great destination. Maybe Ajax has some reservations about Traore after his injury stint, but if he's healthy, he's only a bit into a 3 1/2 year contract, I think it is, and was performing pretty well pre-Haller. With Brobbey on the way out, maybe Ajax are worried about Traore or want to fatten him up for a fat sale, but unless he doesn't fully recover from his injury - and he's been looking decent with Jong, Hoppe will have to beat him out to be Haller's understudy.

I think if I were Haller folks, I'd pick Ajax (or, much as I hate to say it, even PSV) for development, but I have the feeling they will go for the shiny fast car.

Mark Paulson, sXeWesley and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PS. Last line of my post 1580 should be Hoppe not Haller - in case anyone is more confused than usual.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Or he just took the opportunity to gain some financial security.

nobody and freisland repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A logical move, if the money is too much for another B1 club, would be a transfer to an EPL club who would then loan him to a Dutch or Belgian club. That way, Hoppe and Schalke get paid. And he gets to play at a level higher than that of the B2.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I agree with this. Since he joined Schalke, he's played 16 games for Schalke II with 1 goal and 16 games for the senior team with 5 goals. That's 32 games with 6 total goals. Not world-beating stats, even before accounting for how easy 16 of the games were.

nobody repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So now we're down on Hoppe not down with Hoppe?

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hoppe has 5 goals in 1071 minutes at B1 level. That's a bit more relevant than whatever had happened in the Reginaliga.
    And even so, according to Transfermarkt, in his 16 appearances he'd only totaled 339 minutes. 1 goals and 1 assist in 339 minutes isn't quite so bad.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah. That's why, for me, I find it very hard to predict. It's such a small sample size at this point. You can look at, for instance, Lis Traore. He had 6 goals in less than 1/2 a season for Ajax1 and a goal in Europe! Not bad stats, until you realize 5 were in a single 13-0 blowout of VVV and the Euro goal was a PK... oops. Take those out and he's had 2 "ok" years of Eerste/Ered and he looks like he "can/should" be a very good Ajax player (scored a lot for JongA) but he's not shown he for sure "will" be a star.

I hope Hoppe is better than advertised, but I'm not sure you can be very precise in knowing how good he "can" be seeing him with a B1 team with a -50 GD...

Would love to see him for a 1/2 season on a "normal" B1/Champs team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Traore plays for Ajax. Ajax aren't to Eredivisie what Schalke are to this season's B1.

I agree Hoppe hasn't played enough minutes to confirm his level. Realistically, he is not Jong Ajax, however.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #1589 freisland, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    But, realistically, if he goes to Ajax and they keep Haller and Traore and both stay healthy, he will be JongAjax at least part of the time. That's my point. Brobbey and Traore shared minutes (in part due to Traore's injury.) Absent Taore's injury, post-Haller, Brobbey would like have been JongA. Ajax is rarely going to suit up 3 CFs and while Traore is not a "traditional" CF, he doesn't really fit on an Ajax wing at an Ajax1 level.

I mean, Hoppe might be good enough to instantly demote a guy who scored in like 2/3 of his Jong Ajax games last season, but I just don't think I've seen enough to be sure. Again, I think Hoppe's folks move him some place richer/sexier anyway, but it would be a good move from a footie perspective. Lots of game (in the Eerste or Ered) and a good development environment.

Edit: just saw this "where are they now" for 2019's "future stars" - which is somewhat on point - tho more for Konrad (39th) and Gio (23rd) - they had Traore at 26th fwiw...
    https://www.givemesport.com/1664117-greenwood-saka-fati-the-50-wonderkids-of-2019

LouisianaViking07/09 and mace repped this.
  15. munichfan9

munichfan9 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 7, 2005
    Burke, Virginia
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bayern Munich might be too sexy. Then again, Dest is doing well at Barca, despite not having been good enough to start for Ajax.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  17. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an embarrassing case of ESPN writing a meaningless article about fantasy transfers they want to see and then ESPN Desportes running with it as if it was legit lol.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nothing would be more awesome than for him to make it there. That is about as sexy as it gets in German.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wait... now you're saying I need to cover the "Hoppe ist ein Bayerischer fürs Leben" tattoo already?... It's hardly scabbed over.

eliwood repped this.
  20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    tldr americans are dumb about and call it soccer

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoppe, hoppe Reiter

Winoman repped this.
  22. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the worst jobs in professional Soccer right now is being Lewandowski's backup. Even if you are a young prospect(see Fiete Arp and Joshua Zirkzee). So good that the rumors are not true.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Unless you have Jonathan Spector's mom on your side...

sXeWesley and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many more years will Lewandowski perform at his current level?