Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, now they've seen Cala d'or...

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Malloca is awesome this time of year if you are young 20s and play soccer for the local club

He’s scoring left and right! Things are on the up!

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    It's also awesome at other times of year, even if you play soccer in the local pickup game.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'll be there in a couple of weeks

5. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dunno how reliable the sources are. UT there are some links on twitter that Paris FC are looking at Hoppe on loan

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen those rumors as well. Ligue 2 isn’t a shabby league and there’s been plenty of young talent that have signed with big clubs after cutting their teeth in the league. Paris finished 4th last season and will once again push for promotion. A French-American consortium just bought a stake in the club as well.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    People were apoplectic at the notion that Sargent or Hoppe do a year in the 2. Bundesliga.

Now look at events.

The hive mind and awful takes are so common here.

8. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Count me as a gut who thought Sarge staying at Bremen as not the worst thing in the world.
    No different than Hoppe at Schalke. I thought it made a lot of sense for Hoppe.
    I get why they didn‘t, especially EPL money for Sarge, but these outcomes were not that hard to see.

Just go play and produce guys and the rest will take care of itself. If you can‘t, or just fit in, then you are what you are.

m vann repped this.
  9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think many thought the Schalke rebuild would take much longer. They may go back down but many people talked about how many issues the club had.

Sargent? I liked the Norwich fit because of their style in the Championship. Issue so far has been they are struggling to get the midfield and defense right I'm the EPL. But even going down I think that's a good fit for Josh.

I like Hoppe but his big thing is he needs to play and score. I think some overrated where Hoppe was as a player and what type of club he could go to after his first season, but doesn't mean he is bad.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Paris FC seems to be one of the more ambitious Ligue 2 Clubs they have started strong the last 2 seasons and both years just missed promotion.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as the guy who identified Sargent as a poor player like 2.5 years ago! This heresy got me banned from the Sargent thread...for shame. Elon Musk, please acquire Bigsoccer!

Ray Shoesmith and leppercut repped this.
  12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I had a lot of questions about Hoppe. Only reason he got a shot was because Schalke was that historically bad. He had that incredible run of 5 goals but then if you watched him play after that, he really struggled, and it just wasn‘t because Schalke was bad. He was great at making runs off the ball, but other parts of his game were very eh.

Sarge crushed me. He was so good in our youth set ups. Started at Bremen well, but he just slowly went downhill after that.
    It then continued at Norwich. There is ability there IMO, the kid has heart, maybe this is what he needed. We shall soon see.

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, right!?

That people change their minds in light of 1) further evidence related to judgment calls and 2) the passage of time is just so stupid and they should be ashamed of themselves!

russ, ChicagoVT, majspike and 1 other person repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why not MLS? Ligue 2 way below it.

Pl@ymaker and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Derek on Straight Red Card has a contact in Hoppe camp. Says he wants to stay in Europe

zlatan_but_a_car and butters59 repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hoppe, yes, but apparently Sarge had Bayer Leverkusen making a concrete offer as well but they were outbid by Norwich.

IDK by how much they were outbid by but Bremen would have had some financial difficulties if he didn't leave at all. I think he might have played a lot better in front of a competitive midfield instead of the lightweights Nowrwich had.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've always said those thinking this was "The Golden Generation" were those who started watching after 2010.

18. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Weren't there rumors that Atlanta United made a hard play for him? This makes more sense now.

19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Sarge may not be doing what we need (scoring) but he was a solid player for Norwich last season IMO. He did most things not scoring related very well. Problem is, he wants to be a forward.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A striker who can't score is sort of like a keeper with shaky hands.

Even if they do everything else well, they're not doing their job.

21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You did. I still didn‘t think he would sink that quickly, but sadly he did.

22. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was against Hoppe staying at Schalke for two reasons:

1) They were a total train wreck on and off the field and looked more likely to be fighting relegation from the 2nd Bundesliga than bouncing right back up to the first.

2) I looked into this a few ago when Werder Bremen were first flirting with relegation, and at least at that time, there were very few direct transfers from the 2nd Bundesliga to better leagues. So, it seemed unlikely that good performance there could get him back into a big 5 league.

Of course, in hindsight staying with Schalke looks like it would have been the right move.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    People said those two playing in the 2.Bundesliga would have been fine at the time. It’s not just “Mr. Hindsight.”

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sticking with golden generation. Been watching a lot lot longer than 2010. I think I used that term maybe 3 or 4 years ago when Puli, and McKennie and Adams were in the BL. Are there holes in some positions? Sure. But I’ve never seen anything like this in US soccer since I’ve been watching circa 1990. It’s hard to keep track of all the quality players nowadays.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.