Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you mentioned it. I can learn new computer programming languages fairly easy, but I can't recite a complete music song's lyrics, no matter how many times I tried to memorize it.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you master a couple programming languages I think it is relatively easy to learn another. It is probably the same w/ real languages... albeit more difficult.... but probably made easier if the base (e.g. latin) is the same.

PalmettoSpur and LouisZ repped this.
  3. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    The advancements, with regards to understanding the brain, has been monumental over the last decade. Unfortunately, it has opened the door, through social media, to allow manipulation that we can’t even comprehend, or believe is happening. When you are taught about what’s going on and how, it’s staggering. I find myself responding to, and doing things which I know are the result of manipulation, as I have had a decent amount of training in the field, and my synapsis still respond. It takes a lot to shield/discipline oneself. It does make for a very boring life however.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not the only way, but probably the best way. :thumbsup:

freisland repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Duolingo on-line course... Hot Spanish Someone-or-other walking on the beach..?

I leave it up to each grown adult individual to choose wisely for themselves.

tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dopamine receptors, bruh. Dopamine receptors...

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Aren't there club assistants or translators who assist the players who don't know the language of the league/club? Or is that just the major clubs who have that kinda dough?

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #3358 Suyuntuy, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    "Mateo... muevete a la izquierda!"
    "No, you go to hell!"
    "A la izquierda, chaval... no entiendes ni jota..."
    "No, you are the idiot!"

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully our little Mateo isn’t that fresh!

But this reminds me of feelings when having business dinners in Japan, China, Korea etc… once the locals get talking and laughing And there is a break in the tedious English translation, I would get feelings of doubt, that they were talking bad about me or my company etc. It can make one a little paranoid if you don’t understand anything being said around you.

It’s tough not knowing the language, infinitely more so when you actually live there!

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why you putting words in my mouth?!

And why are they Spanglish?

So many questions...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can imagine a lot of locker room banter would get lost in translation, anyway.

majspike, gjackson2207 and tomásbernal repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same when I'm in the presence of a group of Indian contractors.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's not paranoia - they are making fun of you.

PalmettoSpur, gjackson2207, russ and 2 others repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You shouldn't allow yourself have those feelings of doubt.

They should have been feelings of certainty.

majspike, russ, mace and 2 others repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As is noted in the Guide for the Paranoid World Traveler: whenever you're abroad, pretend not to speak the local language. That way you can hear what they are plotting against you.

majspike, gjackson2207 and LouisZ repped this.
  16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly is the BEST way. It is how I learned French and Portuguese.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    From a mono-lingual Spanish partner?

That, my friends, is talent! (badumdum!)

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not in Mallorca. Huge international tourism scene there and in the rest of the islands, which are especially popular with Brits and there's a quite sizeable settled expat community there with shops, pubs, newspapers and a radio station IIRC.

He can lead a perfectly normal lifestyle there so he won't "need" to learn Spanish once he leaves the training ground. It'll make his life "outside" a lot richer though, and it'll really help on training ground and in the dressing room. Spain has so many countries with no language barriers to recruit from, their coaches and staff will feel zero need to accommodate someone who can't be bothered.

19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Interesting exchange just now on NBC EPL pregame show about managers and temperamental strikers. The question was about Arteta calling out Aubameyang for disciplinary violations. Both of the ex-EPLers sided with the player, saying that managers have to find ways to get the best out of temperamental strikers. Reminded me of the Hoppe situation. We all love rules and order etc., but strikers who can score goals are different. You have to make an effort to meet them half way, and I suspect that if Hoppe ever gets regular PT on a decent club, he will show something special.

gjackson2207 and taylor repped this.
  20. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Its just a damn shame with Hoppe.

21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Maybe I missed it, but what situation? Didn't we learn he's injured? Yeah, he's having trouble with Spanish too, but where are the reports from his time at Mallorca that he's in a situation due to his temperament (other than the typical BS assumptions)?

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Whether deserved or not, he has earned a rep for being a little bit temperamental both on the national team with Greg and at his new club. Perhaps it is all smoke and there is no fire there. Whatever the reason, he has not yet received a single look at the center forward spot from Berhalter, but I would like to see him get one.

23. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have seen coaches that coach the game or the love of playing the game out of a player. I've seen it at the youth level and I'm sure it happens at the pro level. There is no finger pointing to be done, only know it happens. Both parties are always partly to blame. It comes down to how much each party can give or take. Like marriage!!

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Other than speculation from BS, can you provide evidence of this reputation earned at Mallorca? We have one incident with the US that I'm aware of and it was no big deal according to Beerholder, and I wouldn't call it earning a reputation of being tempermental. More like ultra competitive.

25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I have seen that as well, many times in pay to play youth systems.