Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's always good for a player to learn the local language, if a club is actively buying foreign players they should have translators on staff.

majspike and Winoman repped this.
  2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't disagree for important things. The original disussion was about a full time translator and how he missed jokes and things. I think it would be good to have a translator for these team discussions if Hoppe needs it.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Actually, you were telling all of us that he was stuck at Schalke and that he had the worst agent in history because of it....

superdave and kumuyc repped this.
  4. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    La Liga has always been a very local language centric league. It would behoove any international player going there to adapt rather than hope his club is going to adapt to him. It's not going to happen. Even more so at a lower tier club like Mallorca.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hope update 1st 3 minutes

ebbro and mace repped this.
  6. GalaxyBowl

GalaxyBowl Member

LA Galaxy
    Aug 21, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surprised this guy who went to private school in Los Angeles and Arizona throughout his childhood didn't receive extensive Spanish lessons or classes growing up. I thought him going to Mallorca meant he at least knew occupational Spanish.

7. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    So now Hoppe's agent is a good, trustworthy guy again? ;)

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He mentioned he took some Spanish classes in HS. He probably has the basics, but won't be conversational.

9. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Keep going and finish the thought. Where and - how- is he now and why? Finish the thought

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All southern cal kids know some spanish.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    From the article, said by the coach:

"He's a young guy in the process of adapting and learning Spanish, he's taking classes. With him I speak in English*, but with the team in Spanish. In the end, Matthew misses many thing, but not only related to soccer, also things that have to do with being part of the group. He sees his teammates laughing, but cannot understand why they laugh."

Maybe Matthew just doesn't have a sense of humor. The fact that you have no sense of humor at all shouldn't interfere with your ability to score goals, though.

----
    * Luchito García is one of those people who think they can speak English. He's coached clubs in China and Saudi Arabia and took questions in English from time to time. I swear I didn't understand a word.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No.

comoesa repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Big, strong, plenty fast for his size, excellent ball skills, goal-Hunter and finisher, competitive killer instinct, and plays CF. As a yank abroad, everyone who isn’t a complete partisan for some other yank CF ought to be rooting hard for this kid.

RossD, ChicagoVT and taylor repped this.
  14. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Over the summer, after Nations League, Hoppe seen hanging with Pulisic at a house CP rented in Miami. It was all over Hoppe's and CP's social media. I think Hoppe was on the infamous CP fishing trip.

15. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not in the squad for today's game. WTF ??

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    There was previous reporting that he might be out until January with a muscle injury. That's probably why.

adi21 and Winoman repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...-want-to-be-at-the-world-cup/?sh=2fa83dbf6f4b

Mostly a rehash of what we already know, but with a lot of direct quotes from Hoppe himself, and a bit more specificity.

"Now, Hoppe is again adapting to a new club and a new culture. He made just two appearances for Mallorca – including a first start away at Spanish giants Real Madrid – before suffering an injury to his quad.

“I like (Mallorca) a lot. It’s more like the weather I’m used to in California. In Germany, it rained a lot!” Hoppe says.

“No matter the setback with the injury, the club has been there for me and been supportive.”

Hoppe is learning Spanish which he admits “could be going better” as he attempts to overcome his shyness for speaking a new language.

There is more positive progress on his recovery from injury. He is targeting a return to the pitch after the La Liga winter break in what would be a particularly meaningful match on January 2. Mallorca hosts FC Barcelona, the club Hoppe and his teammates used to watch on television during lunchtime breaks at the academy in Arizona.

“I want to be there and it would be a really special moment for me to play against them,” he says.

18. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Geese, he's a 20 year old kid, living on an island in the Mediterranean Sea where they speak a foreign language. How about we give him a break? Who wouldn't struggle adapting?
    No matter what, this is a great experience for him and he will be better for it.

19. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    If he was able to learn German he will be able to learn Spanish.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What's good for the Geese is good for the Gander, I guess.

Did he speak German though? Seems like the key issue is the injury, not the linguistics for the most part.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think he learned to speak German, he never gave an interview in that language, so far I know.

22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You can get away with speaking English in Germany easily.

A bit tougher in Span and France where they definitely want to see you make the effort IMO. I have always had an affinity for learning new languages. I have watched others make the attempt and really struggle, and get frustrated. One of those things.

23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people have a gift for languages . . . . and some (like me) REALLY don't. Just has to do with how the brain is programmed. As long as he's not an idiot (don't think he it), he can learn. Just needs to apply himself. From reading the interviews, also sounds like he's shy about using the language so he may be better then he thinks. Going to have to just do it- best way to learn is to jump into the deep end.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A mono-lingual Spanish-speaking partner is the only way.

ebbro, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yup. It is brain programming.

Also, some individuals have the ability, but they don’t have the patience.

It’s like a talented young soccer player who wants to be playing CL for a top team, and tries to force it, skipping a lot of steps. Makes things more difficult.

I’ve seen people, who are doing fairly well, just get beyond irritated/frustrated/angry because they can’t complete thoughts concisely in the way they want. Just have to accept that you are essentially a “dumb” kid and you need to take the steps one at a time. Hoppe comes across as one of those intense, demanding types who wants it now. He’ll get there, but those individuals can rub some people the wrong way. He’ll get there.