Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Excuse me, it's called inductive reasoning. "The coin I pulled from the bag is a penny. ... Therefore, all the coins in the bag are pennies." Got a problem with that?

2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Care to provide a single example? I insist you provide only one.

majspike, Grumpy in LA and DCU1984 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Money-laundering outfit for a mafia of generals who treat the breakaway country of Transnistria as their personal feud. Sheriff bought a bunch of South American and African players (most relatively unknown) and now is wreaking havoc in Europe.

Funny thing: Moldova is so poor, they play their home NT games in the stadium of Sheriff, even though it's in the rebel region.

4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Moldova has it's share of problems.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Has anyone ever told you you're a real barrel of laughs?

majspike repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My advice to Matthew Hoppe...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hoppe is a sub today.

Pl@ymaker and Centennial repped this.
  8. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did not play vs Levante. Mallorca won 1-0.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what's going on here. He wasn't "never play again" bad vs Real Madrid. He combined well.

10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start looking a for a loan, eh? Some Swedish 2nd league team would be about right. He's hit his ceiling. Nothing more to see here. His career is over. It was fun while it lasted but he clearly is a crap center forward who can't even get playing time on a "relegation fodder" team. He's brought bad jújú to Spain now and no yank will ever be welcomed again. He is tactically weak and a wimpy shrimp to boot! Hopeless

taylor, Dander, UniversalAdvice and 6 others repped this.
  11. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Great summary of every YA thread!

We should just pin this at the top of each one

Dander and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    No direct reference to the anti-American bias he is suffering from.

13. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Also no declarative “he’s my hero,” or “I was right all along and my forum doubters can suck it,”

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mallorca is a team that takes its chances with young players. They have four U-21 guys in this team: Take (RW, 415' so far), Lee (AM, 1 goal, 166'), Niño (FW, 2 goals, 326') and Hoppe (FW, 89').

So they're bringing them along. Something they have done before, too.

After Barcelona, at this point they are the team that has given more minutes to U21 players (14.7% minutes to Barça's 22.7%) in La Liga and the #8 in Europe (Bayer is the #1 with 23.5%).*

So all the indicators are that, if he shows decent in training, he'll get his chance. But, so far, yes, he's been the U21 with the least minutes.

----
    * https://tribunasol.es/futbol/rcd-mallorca/rcd-mallorca-una-apuesta-por-el-talento-joven/

taylor, mace and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Mallorca coach isn’t a “he tries stuff” kind of guy? Maybe Hoppe needs to work on his Spanish a little bit for in-game communications? Maybe they are just taking it slow. Young dude.

mace and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe the competition at his position is a lot better compared to the other U21 ones

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fernando Niño is the other U21 who is also a striker. He's shown well and scored in two of the six games he played. And he's a Spaniard, too, so that helps.

Hoppe seems to have been given the least chances of this group, and I'd say compared to Mallorca historical time given to kids, he's lagging at this point.

I'd be lying if I said I'm ok with it.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't joking when I asked how good his Spanish was.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was in the LA Galaxy Academy, spent nearly two years in La Masia, and grew up in Orange Country in an area with about 20% Hispanics.

On the other hand, he spent two years in Germany studying German between practices and never managed to give an interview in the local language, so maybe he just sucks at learning new languages.

PS: I've never heard him say anything in Spanish, and when interviewed it was the same as in Germany: translator, and replies in English.

20. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Wasn’t in the squad yesterday. Tried to find info on but haven’t seen anything.

taylor and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58769421

{Club President Andy} Kohlberg believes the squad has a productive blend of youth and experience and, in coach Luis Garcia, there is someone willing to place trust in youngsters to maintain the club's identity.

"They're open to playing young players if they're good enough," new arrival Hoppe tells BBC Sport. "They're willing to give them a chance and bet on them, help them progress and take their game to the next level.

"Training is really intense, the ball movement is really quick - one, two touch, different than it was in Germany. It's a lot faster.

"He's a coach who likes to keep the ball, likes to dominate the game and comes up with a plan with the forwards. Sometimes he wants us to run in behind to exploit the spaces or exploit certain defenders or check in for the ball."

Hoppe has also learned Garcia is "huge on your body fat percentage", making sure his players are in the best condition - which means more pizza for the locals.

"It's a completely different culture than Germany," adds the USA international. "It's a great place to be, with amazing food and an amazing island.

"It's definitely one of the best places in the world to play football."

Namdynamo, Winoman, mace and 3 others repped this.
  22. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Should have just stayed in Mallorca if all Gregg is going to do is give him garbage time runouts on the wing.

taylor, Namdynamo, comoesa and 4 others repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yes.

taylor and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a So. CA. resident most of my life, I question the 20% Hispanic in Yorba Linda. Yorba is a very affluent area, the area is pretty much an overflow of So. OC.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a native of OC I agree that Yorba Linda is definitely pretty affluent, but the census data puts the Hispanic population at 16.5 percent which is probably an undercount given that census data tends to undercount Hispanics in general. I also don’t know that I consider it South OC.