Hoppe now Brough: Back at Middlesbrough FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 11, 2018.

1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you are going to use twitter, why not include the... 30ish teams "linked" to Hoppe?
    How about the confirmed 8 million?
    Who do you think these "sources" are on twitter?

You think Steve Goff has contacts/sources at Brentford, Basel and West Ham?

You think EPL teams even understands what 3.5 million EUROS is? It's not even a rounding error for top Championship teams.
    (Its probably 3 million and goes to 3.5 with x starts at Mallorca)
    https://www.90min.com/posts/exclusive-11-premier-league-clubs-pursuing-schalke-matthew-hoppe

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A goal in either of those 3 would make for a solid start.

ChicagoVT and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ChicagoVT, edcrocker, mace and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you’re overthinking

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These guys all moved for about 3 million Euros in the EPL:

Moussa Sissoko M. Sissoko
    Central Midfield
    Tottenham Hotspur Watford FC
    €3.50m
    Kaoru Mitoma Kaoru Mitoma
    Left Winger
    Kawasaki Frontale Brighton & Hove Albion
    €3.00m
    Connor Roberts C. Roberts
    Right-Back
    Swansea City Burnley FC
    €2.90m

ChicagoVT, taylor, KenC and 2 others repped this.
  6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    After he scores his first hat trick against Real Madrid. They’ll be wondering how Mallorca got him for 3 mill

theboogeyman, TarHeels17, KenC and 3 others repped this.
  7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Let's get back to what's important here.

Short, simple, easy, and punnable.

Island Hoppe-r Matthew Hoppe @ Mallorca

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    US and MLS development has really accelerated in last few years…except for striker. We need one or two of Hoppe, Dike, Pepi to make great strides.

I like the move a lot, whether or not they stay in La Liga. After Schalke near-miss disaster, I hope agent smart enough to get a release clause in case of relegation. Still this year will be great experience, especially if they stay up. And he should get his chances.

I saw recently that only 3 or 4 of the top 30 MLS goalscorers are Americans. Subject for a different thread, but MLS/USSF need to get together and do whatever it takes to increase that number and focus on developing young top striking talent. Otherwise, pretty satisfying how far we’ve come in last few years. Best transfer window ever for YA’s!

ChicagoVT, taylor, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  9. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Steven Goff is a reputable, experienced sports journalist who writes for one of the most prestigious newspapers in the United States. You're right, he could just be making stuff up. But I'd defer to the random person on an internet message board (who was blatantly wrong about Hoppe's transfer), about making stuff up.

Just remember both things can be true: Hoppe can have a poor agent AND still have completed a move to a club in La Liga away from an objectively poor situation at a BL2 Schalke.

derek750, kumuyc, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think so. Didn't even know it was a rule to not discuss them, and I've been here a good bit. I only ever saw the R on less-visited threads and never even knew what it was.

dark knight repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Happily, results are normally irrelevant, or at least tangential, to the points we try to make.

The Irish Rover, Gorky and BostonRed repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been creating threads since the Dark Ages & I don't think I ever included [R].

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a remnant of the pre-Twitter internet when you could theoretically avoid spoilers for a whole day and watch your recorded game after getting home from work. In that case you don’t want random results spoilers in your Michael Bradley bashing thread.

14. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Don’t Ruhr-e, be Hoppe in Mallorca

TxEx repped this.
  15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    American Shamu: Hoppe @ My Orca

randomnoise, superdave, uniteo and 3 others repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thing is .....for soo long southern euro markets IGNORED us players and had a haevy bias AGAINST them.

So if they wanna swing the pendulum in the other direction.....all the better.

twoolley repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, it depends on whether he's serious, doesn't it?

Specifically, it depends on what he's serious about.

If he's serious about making the US market one their core markets for driving revenue growth, they really will give it a go. It won't work very well - it wouldn't work any better for, say, Real Betis or Real Sociedad - and then they'll be compelled to refocus on building up Real Mallorca in what is, ahem, their "Real" market :confused::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: - Mallorca and the rest of the islands.

If he's serious about running a successful team, he's only saying that because being an America ownership group makes them different in Spain so the media will keep asking about it and they have to "round up the usual cliches" to keep the journalists distracted.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Hoppe one kin-Hoppe
    Majorca!!!

19. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He said they signed Kubo, Kang-in, and Hoppe for their ability in the sport and then added a big AND because NAmer and Asia are two huge markets. Basically said when they had Kubo before their games were more watched in Japan than Madrid or Barcelona. But, those games were only watched because he played in all of them so they seem to understand that you need players who can actually compete for you from a sporting perspective first and foremost.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he pretty much expected to be a starter?

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    More like a challenger for that. 3.5 million euros is more money than they've spent on anyone except Ndiyae since at least 2017-18 and your record signing is normally expected to contribute pretty quickly.

The coach prefers a 4-2-3-1, with a 4-3-3 a s Plan B, so there'll be only one staring slot from 4 forwards. The starter and the rotators will come from Hoppe, Angel Rodriguez and Fer. Rodriguez has scored 10-12 goals a season fairly often, but he's 34 and last season saw a big drop in his production, which is why he came on a free. He's injured and isn't expected back for another month. Fer is turning 21 and had 5 goals in 23 La Liga and EL games last season, despite starting only 7 games. He definitely knows where the goal is, but he may not be physically ready just yet.

The only striker left from last season, Abdon Prats (28), was pretty effective in La Liga 2 - 10 goals and 3 assists in 31 games - but 0 goals in 23 La Liga games in his career tells its own story. He'll be the depth.

I don't think there's a definite starter in there ATM. That role is there to be claimed, which is an opportunity for Hoppe

taylor and madvillain repped this.
  22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    It would be great if he could outright win the starting role and play 30+ starts.

But at his age and given he's new to another top 4 league PLUS he made such a huge leap in development last year, I'd think 15-18 appearances, mostly starts, would be a fine 1st year result to get accustomed to new league and club. Anything above that would be awesome, IMO.

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Add in 5+ goals and 2-3 assists and you've got me . . .

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    You are right, and hope the kid can keep his inner Dempsey flame alive as well...seems to be there.
    I like his movement a lot, and he is deceptively quick (yet calm) when in actionable situations near goal.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Well if he's in La Liga ESPN will be pimping the ******** out of it. So easier to watch and will get a lot of hype if he bangs a few in.

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.