Matteo Guendouzi - Le Roi Lion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Shen-O, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the first person who biggied this boy up last season, this French Lion King...and our future captain, I thought he earned his own thread.

May his amazing development continue! Proud of you son!

All the hail the new King!

[​IMG]

maskito repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great talent

Needs a proper midfield around him

Hopefully lt can help and drop Chaka

Shen-O and maskito repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know who was the first to tout Guendouzi, but I'm pretty sure I liked him (publicly) right from the get go.

I was amazed at how such a youngster could hit the ground running, with virtually no bedding-in period. And so quickly work his way into our XI.

Vive Le Roi!

Shen-O repped this.
  4. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yea we need to reassess this and look at why he has fallen off so far in his 2nd season with us. He has had some good matches this year the Aston Villa and Tottenham matches he was a standout.

However ever since November he has regressed significantly. Part of that was coaching and his development under Emery was stunted. Also Emery didn't give his CMs any specific defined role and Mikel does. But it seems he has fallen out with Artrea and barely gets anymore run of games are they much playing time. In Lorient he fell out with coaches that seems to be the norm. His lack of concentration and discipline in training is then translated on the pitch. By my eye test seems like his positional awareness is poor. He runs to the ball way too often.

He has a ton of talent and ability and is still very young. Hopefully Arteta can get the best out of him.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that initial enthusiasm seems a dog’s age ago now.

It does seem that he needs a lot of coaching to progress to the next level.

And it’s not clear if Arteta and his staff are going to be able to complete that.

I wonder what really went down in Dubai between Matteo and Mikel.

6. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Hard to tell other than a " falling out/bust up". Guzzy is headstrong and this isn't the first time he has had ru- ins with coaches. All I heard and this might not be right, that him and the boss argued in training and he continued the argument back to the hotel. He really needs discipline and structure and to sit and learn just like AMN.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do t personally rate him

what does he do well?

his passing isn’t great, he’s not quick, poor defensively, can’t shoot

might be worth off loading

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on now, he's perfect for the English game. Runs around a lot, gets stuck in, lots of pashun... ;)

thebigman repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At least guys like mason mount have end product (I do t rate him)

10. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    He is a player development project as of now..not a good enough DM but no a true CM. His strength is when he could venture the Midfield, collect the ball and recycle possession and play the forward pass especially with LT behind. This is classic of a young player putting in good shifts and then being anointed as the next coming of whomever without real results.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. The one skill that I've liked the best from him is when he receives the ball, turns quickly and beautifully on the ball, then accelerates in a flash, running vertically through center circle and (sometimes resulting in) a dangerous pass to one of our forwards.

12. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    That is a good skill of his! Which I wished other young Midfilders had.

A fellow gunner called him an upgraded version of El Neny which in my opinion is unfair. He really is in limbo now when it comes to where he will play in the MF and where his Arsenal career can go. I think he needs time to mature both on and off the field. Sometimes when you are given too much to soon it's too much to handle especially being so young. Xhaka won't be here for long, LT not liking England is a known fact, Ceballos is a rental. So there is room for him. He just needs to listen put his head down and work harder to get better. Btw stop going down so quickly Guzzy! Crap that has even brushed off on my guy Laca now he goes to ground like crazy smh

NorthBank repped this.
  13. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Happy 21st birthday to our Young Gunner

Attached Files:

14. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Some Skills and highlights from Guzzy almost 2 years here. There are debates on how much quality he has which imo is alot but he is still raw a project. He isn't a true DM to me he is a B2b midfielder with very good short passing skills, is good on the ball as well as progressing the ball forward..his vision is excellent. Just loses possession too much and gives away alot of space in the center of the pitch. Hopefully he keeps his head down and listens to the boss.

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of not all those highlights are from last season. Does look like more of a b2b in those highlights. Seems like he had a bit of a sophomore slump this season and that was before the manager switch so I don't think it was a change of scheme that hurt. In that video I see a far more confident CM than we have seen so far this season. Has tons of upside but like you said he needs to quite butting heads with Arteta and try to grow/learn from him.

16. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I think Emery really stunted his development the team had no real direction and that was evident in the Midfield in particular. What was hurt Guendouzi is his headstrong attitude hence the clash with the boss. Hopefully when we return he will be able to listen and show us again what skills he has.