Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the weakest red of all time

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Say he has a really oustanding Copa tournament and finishes among the top 3 keepers, could that help some clubs rethink his potential in the Premier League or in Bundesliga/ Serie A/ Championship?

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Stole this from Reddit

MT.jpg

The Irish Rover, mace, ChicagoVT and 5 others repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, as opposed to now when he and his family are set up for life.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The "opposed to now" was regarding the "contract at 30" comment. I said from the jump that his England move was clearly the right move for his pocketbook. No question about that. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he signs at 30 however. He'll need to turn his game around a bit by then to keep the payday going.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Got to give Turner a lot of credit for standing up today - his reaction ability and ability in the air on display. As I said, he's a perplexing keeper.

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Nah... probably just some posters here. :laugh:

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Meanwhile, still looking for anything more to pop up regarding Turner/NF but haven't seen much. Apparently Pioli turned down NF? tho there's also lots of folks claiming Nuno is staying, NF claim to be after 25+ million Hoffenheim striker Beier, but that seems steep for them. Still supposed to be favored to land Che Adams. Carlos Miguel is supposed to be signing a 5 year deal as NF trigger his 4 or mill release clause. Haven't seen any word on Vlach, Turner or Sels, and it's impossible NF would keep the 4 of them. Window opens Friday, I think - then it's 16 days left to make some (20 mill worth, reportedly) sales. Coffee for closers!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Khan

Khan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I think the USMNT should advance out of their group, but then get curb-stomped vs Brasil or Colombia in the knockouts.

Because of a likely short-ish tenure in this tournament, I can't envision Turner will have enough exposure to finish as one of the top 3 GK.

That said, good on him for finally making a reflex save or two, for bouncing back from a sh!tty performance to Colombia, and for shaking off the early giveaway. Here's hoping his form holds long enough to put himself into the shop window for another team to scoop him up.

10. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts are, it depends on HOW he plays well. If it’s a display of great shot stopping, everyone already knows he has that. If he shows he has improved his technique and his processing speed when the US is playing out of the back, that will show clubs something important.

11. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His stats show he’s accurate on long passes. So IMO he could thrive with a counterattacking team.

Roblar and ChicagoVT repped this.
  12. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    i’m hoping we somehow get Colombia in the knockouts. I would love to see how they respond to the pre tournament embarrassment.

Pegasus repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    the Mall opens tomorrow. Let the horse trading begin.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this guy would have just cleared the ball more he would have kept his starting position.

dark knight and ChicagoVT repped this.
  15. Khan

Khan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Ya know what?

I gotta credit Turner for having manned up to having played poorly v Colombia, and then credit him further for lifting his game v Brasil. I also have to credit Berhalter for getting the team to lift their games, collectively as well.

It still doesn't mean that anyone should rate either of them highly, but we can [and should] commend them for their performances. I'll also laud USSF for not scheduling another cashgrab piece of shyte fixture that has no value, but I still think those fvkcs are fvkcing stoopid, useless, and worthless incompetents.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Forest continue to be linked to a number of buys - Got CD in their sights today (as Murillo is probably gone to level the books in on fell swoop.) Nothing of substance around Turner, however. There's a BBC article with short interviews with Fans on who they should loan, buy, and sell. Turner mentioned as guy to sell in 4 out of 5 or something. Lol. Most seem to have forgotten the Greek is even on the books.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Turner is probably better when he doesn't have to think. Just react. When he has to think too much about where and how to pass and especially if he messes it up he starts overthinking. Looked to me against Brazil he just f it and started reacting and being himself. Maybe one of his teammates or coaches told him to just play and quit thinking too much.

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close but no cigar.

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Know nothing about him as a goalie but clearly does not bode well for Turner.

tomásbernal repped this.
  20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has the time to step into the ball without much pressure, he can deliver an accurate !omg ball.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    His long ball distribution is really decent to good (the Brazil goal notwithstanding), but he really does look like he gets in his head if he has to decide between playing it short and booting it. Unfortunately, most teams with "aspirations" want to play at least a little sweeper-keeper kickabout, whether they should or not, esp in the upper tiers. Even the best keepers screw it up now and again, but there's something about how Turner does it when he gets flustered that looks even worse than it is. If he could find a team that just wanted the ball splayed to the middle line with reasonable accuracy, Turner would be a great get, but alas... I still think he'd shine in the Championship - slower attackers, less insistence on playing out of the back, and more aerial attacks, which Turner is pretty good at cutting off.

The Irish Rover and Roblar repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may bode quite well for Turner if it means he moves on and doesn't spend another season on the bench. Surely this new keeper will have to beat out Sels for the starting spot so they won't need Turner as the third option and can be freed.

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Another stats analysis some here will appreciate: https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2024/05/22/matt-turner-matz-sels-nottingham-forest-comparison/

I think the stats may also not capture other errors that didn't lead to a goal or shot.

24. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Turner will not be at NF next season, I think we all know this and expected that months ago. They don't trust him as a #1, and he needs to be a #1 to be at the level needed heading into a WC (although I am still praying other US GKs step up).
    I was happy to see him play so well the other day after quite a few consecutive poor displays for club and country, and I hope it gives him confidence.
    He needs to find a decent mid-table club in mainland Europe, if they'll have him, but I know many of you have said that may be difficult due to his wages/contract.