Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    #1851 zlatan_but_a_car, Apr 12, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Steffan isn't even a DP. The speculation is that he took a massive pay-cut to sign with The Rapids, with one fan outlet reporting that it was a free transfer from City and the only cost was $50k to NER for his rights (edit: which makes his non-DP status suspect... that's a very cheap acquisition for a former USMNT starter). I suspect this move was mostly about finding playtime in order to regain form and compete for a spot on the 2026 roster...

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    MLS just doesn't use DP slots on defenders let alone Keepers. I just looked over the rosters of all the clubs and only one club has a DP that is listed as a defender and their are no DP keepers.

Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Forest are likely to stay up this season, in which case expect to see a good number of changes in the squad, the coaching department and the front office. To use Britspeak, the club has been an omishambles for a decade and, with several players' contracts due to expire this summer, a clearout is likely. It's certainly necessary.

They have 4 GKs, only one of whom, 4th choice Wayne Hennessey, has the profile of a 3rd-choice and with his contract expiring, he may retire. The good news for Matt is that while Sels has performed much better than him or Vlachodomis, he hasn't been anything special and is unseatable. Meanwhile Vlachodomis' profile - NT first-choice, lots of silverware, circa 60 CL & EL appearances, etc. - will make him both more anxious to move and more marketable.

With Nuno starting his first pre-season with the club, there will be an opportunity for Matt to stake a claim to the No. 2 spot, at least, and wait for Sels to make mistakes. If he can sort out his nerves and his footwork, it's not impossible to see him making a real challenge for the starting slot.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I applaud your optimism. Luton and NF are going to skip to the end of the season arm-in-arm it appears. Currently a 4 GD separates them. They each have 6 games remaining. NF have the "advantage" of having SheffU and Burnley on the schedule, but otherwise it's fairly close
    NF:
    Wolves 11 (H)
    Everton 16 (A)
    City 3 (H)
    Sheff 20 (A)
    Chelsea 9 (H)
    Burnley 19 (A)

LUTON:
    Citeh 3 (A)
    Brentford 15 (H)
    Wolves 11 (A)
    Everton 16 (H)
    WH 7 (A)
    Fulham 13 (H)

Could be quite the run to endline.

dark knight repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why does the universe keep kicking this man when he's done?

Has he truly been that awful?

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Zimmerman is a defender and a DP. Robinson is not a DP but on a nice contract that was reportedly better than Euro options. Like them Turner is a proven MLS commodity with the NT pedigree. I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility, but I’d bet on him playing in the Championship before returning home.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps the MLS website is incorrect but Walker Zimmerman is not a DP.

8. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He got a DP deal last season. I dont think the union has updated the salaries this season, but I believe he'll be the best paid Yank in MLS this season

The Irish Rover repped this.
  9. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    He was terrible in his first game against Portland but hasn't been that bad since. It's still a pretty small sample size though (7 games)

I'd point out that his save % has never really been high anywhere he has played regularly, which makes it somewhat surprising that he's made it as far as he has in his career.

So it's probably not the universe kicking him; he's just not all that good.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
  11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    More telling is the article states that Zim is only the 4th CB to ever have a dp contract.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be perfect for Colorado!

13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It's worth noting that while we don't know what wages he is on, the rapids have said that Steffan is not on a DP contract.

On Nashville SC's player bio page for him, he's listed as a DP: https://www.nashvillesc.com/players/walker-zimmerman/

I'm pretty sure he's a DP and MLS' website has made a mistake, but we won't know for sure until the union releases the 2024 salaries.

HScoach13 repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The MLS website is notoriously inaccurate so I'd bet that you're right.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sounds crazy if Steffen really returned to MLS for a non-DP contract. He could still be challenging for the NT starting in the Championship

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can we return to ragging on Sels?

“Matz Sels: Set-pieces continue to be a huge problem. The shot-stopper ought to have done better for Wolves’ second - didn’t deal with it and Max Kilman got his head to the corner. Rating: 5.5/10”

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sels and Turner are pretty much a wash at this point in terms of GA/90 - Turner slightly, but immaterially, higher. Vlad was much worse. Turner is by far better in the air/on crosses (perhaps why he has been crucified by the NF faithful badum!) and he has a better save % - but NF gave up more shots with Turner in goal - which suggests my instinct, which is that Sels (or Nunes - or both) has organized the D a bit better than Turner had. They are giving up just about as many goals (after the last 2 games - before that NF under Sels had a very good run of 1 GA games.) and Turner is likely a better "athletic" keeper - but when he plays NF face substantially more shots against. I haven't dug in to see if something else (like opponents, NF defender injuries etc.) might also contribute to that, but the statistical reality is - Vlad was a huge mistake, Tuner and Sels final product is pretty similar. Turner's Wins/90 is a bit higher at the moment, but Sels has yet to face two of the bottom feeders.

ChicagoVT, The Irish Rover and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    #1868 dark knight, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    I just don't think the stats tell the full story of how Turner's lack of assuredness had such an effect on the defense. And the eye test can't be bleached away so fans can't unsee some of the disastrous stuff he's done. Turner also was given more than one chance to redeem himself and it kept happening. No sanitizing stats will save the well-earned perception of him.

Sels has been great because he's mostly been self-assured and calm.

ChrisSSBB and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Forest are in a lot of trouble - I'd take Luton's schedule in a heartbeat. I suppose Everton aren't out of the woods either but they have been a better team than the other two. The fact that Everton plays the other two will be interesting (they have the easiest schedule of the 3 on paper). Probably will come down to the last day.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That is essentially my POV. I think Turner was also hurt by some call-ups and injuries to defenders, and NF had a very (in terms of EPL) inexperienced D and Turner did not help.

I think Sels best attribute is he's a vet and seems to keep folks calm. Which may be the difference. NF is in the driver's seat with snagging the point against Wolves. I would rather have NF's schedule than Luton's, but either one could blow it now. I doubt Everton stumble at this point, but it's not impossible.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't know much, but I do know Matt could not have done worse than Jordan Pickford did today. Lol. "Turner to Everton!" It's quite amazing how little ink is getting spilled over Pickford's very-bad-not-at-all-good day.

ChicagoVT and Dervos repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might there be ... some sort of bias?

ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    According to Alex Ferguson "Attacks win games but defences win championships" but while it's less clear-cut in the relegation battle, where the teams are close on both criteria there is a tendency for the side with the stronger attack to stay up.

Forest can't defend but they can score. Everton can't score but they can defend - poorly.

Forest are also in better form: they've taken 6 points from the last 5 games, Everton have taken 4.

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Or maybe it was a bit out of character in a game that was not close (so an error of little consequence). I have no idea how much ink was spilled but there were a lot of better story lines out of that game.

superdave and majspike repped this.
  25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Being English might help, but 300+ combined Premiership / England national team matches might play a factor, as opposed to a few Turner howlers in 17 Forest matches.

majspike repped this.