Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was responding to the idea he was in the goal. He was well outside when the ball was hit. He could have squared up better, but on a relatively unchallenged back-post header from the 3-4 yard area like that, if the keeper makes that save, it's a highlight. If the attacker misses or is saved, they've blown an easy chance they "should have put away."

tomásbernal, Winoman and Alemannia repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The man requires competition to keep him striving for his best.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, Forest has brought in plenty of competition. Turner needs to keep striving to beat the latest arrival.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The keeper is the guy organizing the defense too, and not just in set pieces. The defenders have to respect the guy. Getting a bunch of 20-something millionaires to obey your commands is not easy. Worse if you look like you're about to piss your pants.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    People come up with an argument and then restyle facts to meet their own needs. But you're an old-timer on here like me, so you know that.

Difficult save. Impossible? Perhaps not. But difficult. The bigger story is the horrible D on the play.

tomásbernal, Winoman and freisland repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, but it is a bit weird to see that actual photo and still argue against the visual evidence, but there we are.

At the end of the day, Turner's club situation only changes if Sels completely and unquestionably flops in a game or two. If NF keep giving up one or two goals a game, I don't see them changing horses barring injury. So the key Turner question is does he try a year in the Champs (if NF don't squeak it out and he thinks he has a chance at being #1 there) or does he make a change. Time will tell.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You're right. I slowed the video to .25X and the header is before he's in goal. But he was moving towards the goal before and had a foot well inside millisenconds later. Look, I'm not saying it was an easy save like khan, I just think he could've done better with his movement. Tony Meola said the same on SiriusXM FC. Another pundit did as well, but I can't remember who (not a goalkeeper like Meola though). And I put more blame on Robinson and Scally for the goal. Bottom line, not an easy save, but I think he could've given himself a better, although still difficult, chance.

The Irish Rover and freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't disagree - I think he leaned/shuffled out (natural instinct) as he determined if he could/should challenge for the ball as it arced toward goal - and had to come back/across to try to square up. If he's thinking faster and moving quicker, maybe he squares up more quickly/evenly. But it also looks to me like he's anticipating a goal-line directed ball - which is the coach-approved heading technique there. Leigh doesn't need to use it because he's moving 100 mph at a 100+ angle to the ball (more velocity from that angle) and he slams the ball hard as fek.
    (I do love Fat Tony critiquing mobility! lol) But I think the bottom line remains. Turner gets hands to that strong enough to deflect it out of the goal, it's a highlight save. Leigh bottles that, it's a choke.

I don't think it reflects strongly on Turner's abilities one way or another. A lot of very good keepers don't make that save. And most not very good keepers don't make that save. I think it's a very dim data point. Turner's couple of rushed touches on balls to his feet were, to me, more telling, that he's still got issues there (unsurprisingly) that will continue to restrict his top-end opportunities.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jedi let the ball past him, Richards attempt to deny the cross was weak, Scally first steps away from goal to follow runner in middle moving towards PK spot making him late to respond to far post runner, Turner was on near post when cross was hit and could have been a bit better getting to far post and the closet US player to Scally (vertically) was Weah who seemed intent on guarding the 18 stripe. This was a goal self inflicted by a thousand cuts. Glad they got to experience it as it should help in the future.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I think he was a bit unaware how close he was to his line. He's a good keeper, but he definitely shows he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet. But yeah, that goal doesn't move the needle for me on Turner. Khan though...

freisland repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Give a guy 3 yards, he takes the goal box!

12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Is that what we've done with khan?

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm old enough to know when to walk away with my hands in pockets, whistling a quiet tune to my-own-self.

14. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner on the bench today, against Crystal Palace. NF gives up an early goal... not really Sels fault.

15. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    From the bench, Turner gets his name on the scoresheet:
    upload_2024-4-2_16-3-49.png

16. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Honestly, this is a pretty funny way to get carded for dissent from the bench when you're the backup keeper and your team is up 3-0.

I like that the Forest fans like Turner.

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Disgraceful conduct from Turner.

Conduct beneath the dignity of a professional sportsmen and a well adjusted person generally.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    NF/Nuno/Sel's defensive tightening doing exactly what a team teetering on the drop precipice needs to do. That's now 6 straight games giving up only a single goal. They inch a smidge further out of the drop zone, adding 2 to the GD that will likely keep them out of the DZ even if Luton pulls off a miracle v Arsenal tomorrow

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Which, of course, is good for NF, but not great for Turner.

20. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    You knew it would be his foot skills that got him in trouble.

majspike, McKenniesWeah, Pegasus and 9 others repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But hey it buys him some love from supporters after months of pure hatred.

Dervos repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can take the boy out of CONCACAF but you can’t take the CONCACAF out of the boy.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like his enthusiasm and still trying to help from the bench. :p

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sad truth is he was actually trying to kick it to the ball boy…

Magikfute, majspike, largegarlic and 4 others repped this.
  25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but giant ear dude on Twitter thinks it’s depressing.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.