Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate when coaches do this. Have some balls, man.

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get a chance... watch the goal Ramsdale gave up in the 62nd minute. He was caught out from nearly the center line. Crazy shot. In extra time now, so still time for Ramsdale to redeem himself.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There is still an anti-american bias in England but not nearly as bad as it used to be. There has also been a very pro-english player too. There may be some of that here but much more a case that Ramsdale has a track record and his single error is less obvious than Turner's goal and poor touches.

Not sure where he was when the ball was played, but he wasnt too far off his line when he finally is in the picture. I think it is more of footwork issue.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Gee, I wonder how much ---- he takes for that?

Just kidding. I imagine he'll get a kicking too for that howler. Was hoping for a less obvious bit of bad goal keeping, but even the most biased of British homers will admit he totally botched that.

The scary thing is to imagine how thoroughly Turner would have been run over with verbal Zamboni's if he did something that inept. Happily, we'll note that it effects Ramsdale's status not all going forward, which is exactly where the bull---- lay.

Move on, leave Arsenal Turner. It aint worth it. I don't need to see another Man U repeat.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That's the funny thing:

I could cheer for Arsenal to take it on penalties so maybe Turner gets some more run (maybe).

Or I could cheer for SL, because ---- Arsenal, and ---- English fans and mediots.

I'm going with #2 folks.

freisland repped this.
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsdale 0 for 5 in PKs. LOL... to go along with a 40+ yard game tying goal.

Winoman and schrutebuck repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ramsdale forgiven, Turner on the bench, Arsenal (1st) v Crystal Palace (12th)

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rooted and Winoman repped this.
  10. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    "And I think one of my favorite qualities about him is that he always has my back. No matter what I do on the pitch, you know, he’s gonna have my back because he knows I work really, really hard. I try my best every single day. And it’s easy to play for a guy like that, no matter how demanding he is. You know, you put yourself out there and you try to make his ideas come to life. And he’ll always back you up.”

I found this quote pretty interesting, especially in light of being dropped for the second Sporting game. Has Arteta made any public quotes about Turner? If not, I wonder what Matt is referring to?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I gotta give some credit to Turner. He bet on himself and it's played out quite well. Played some solid games for Arsenal and started in 4 World Cup games despite not a lot of playing time. Really hoping he might be able to get a single game in the Premier League before the season ends.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Turner on the bench today for a match of limited importance.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I was hoping for a surprise start, to throw Pep off his game.

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got trounced but not through any fault of Ramsdale. He was immense at times

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Duke begs to differ.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Would Turner have gotten silverware if Arsenal hadn't blown the season?

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes.

The minimum number of appearances and/or minutes of PT has dropped so low as to be almost meaningless and, in any case, reserve GKs have been exempt from that since the mid-90s, if not earlier.

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Better than silverware from our perspective would be playing time. Time is short, but if Arsenal manage to fall all the way out of the title race, Turner could grab a game or two at the end.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PT is short, stuff on the mantle lives forever (or, if you're Lenny Dykstra, till the vig is due.)

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BTW it's a bit much to say that the Arse have blown the season. It's just that they have a small squad (only 23 players) and that squad has the strength-in-depth to cope with losing a key player in some positions, but not all of them.

Saliba's been injured for the last 6 games. In the 6 games before that, Arsenal's record ran P6 W5 D0 L1 - F16 A 7 GD+9. Since then, it reads P6, W2 D3 L1- F16 A13 GD+3.

Those 3 draws have made all the difference. If he'd stayed fit they might still have drawn with Liverpool but it's very hard to imagine them dropping points to Southampton or West Ham, in which case they'd still be 6 points ahead of City. And if they'd held on against Liverpool they'd be 8 points clear this morning and everybody would be talking about how City had left it too late.

There's a reason Rob Holding has only made 95 appearances for them since he left Bolton 7 seasons ago and those reasons have been on display throughout this month.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have no interest in FFP (Fan Fair Play... or, in this case anti-fan fair play!)

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #373 bshredder, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    IIRC, it's 5 EPL appearances to automatically earn an EPL medal for players on the winning club. But the club typically has about 5 discretionary medals that can go to anyone (not just players).

Almost always, the 2nd string keeper gets one of the discretionary medals if he falls short of an automatic medal.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    2 games left for Arsenal while City have 3. I kinda feel that Turner should have a shot at starting their final game of the season so long has City has wrapped up the title by then.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC