Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Hope he's not rusty from not having played since Arsenal were knocked out of the FA Cup in January.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Turner starts in the YA Game of the Day, at Sporting, Europa League R16 Leg 1.

Reiss Nelson --- Gabriel Martinelli --- Bukayo Saka
    Fabio Vieira --- Jorginho --- Granit Xhaka
    Oleksandr Zinchenko -- Jakub Kiwior -- William Saliba -- Ben White
    Matt Turner

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I was very impressed today with our posters' positional discipline. :thumbsup:

gjackson2207 and Dervos repped this.
  5. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Shaky…. Wasn’t bad but wasn’t great.

6. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Did alright but did not install a ton of confidence. It's tough to play in that GK position with spot starts here and there, and his last match was months ago, so I get it.
    But you have to seize your moment. Hoping he gets to start in the second leg

Winoman repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Will Turner start the second leg? Are you kidding me? Of course he will!!

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made some fine saves in this one. He had one "shaky" pass out of the back. Aside from that I thought he played well. I don't understand the hate from the commentator or the forum members.

ChicagoVT, comoesa, gjackson2207 and 3 others repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He better!

10. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
  11. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Actually two shaky passes - the first was intercepted about 25-30 yards out and came to nothing, the second was terrible and should have resulted in a goal.

On Sporting's first goal, I wondered whether he could have punched it out of danger? Still can't decide, but his defense certainly didn't do him any favors - literally no one jumped.

He made some excellent saves, but only started to look comfortable with the ball in the last 20-25 minutes, where he made some very good, calm decisions making the situationally correct pass to the correct midfielder. Prior to that, he always "looked" like he was going to give it away despite only have the 2 really poor passes.

Overall the rust showed, but I don't think he was too bad. These are mistakes he wouldn't be making if he played more often and the great shot stopping was on display. I'm not very worried, but I hope Arteta still believes (Ramsdale is allowed to have bad games, why can't Turner show some rust).

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, based on the video that's in with the article I'd tend to agree that he's a jackass.

13. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Can you point me to the hate on his performance on here?

Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    In the gameday thread, we were hard on him in the first half. The team's play out of the back was terrible, he had two turnovers out of the back that resulted in danger, and he might have been able to prevent the first goal with a quicker/different decision. In real-time reaction, I and others thought he was one of the worst players on the field in the first half.

Second half - good saves, not at fault on the goal, no turnovers.

tomásbernal and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He may be a jackass, but he has a point about Turner's play. Now those american jackasses in the comments below, don't seem to have a clue about GKing.

16. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are most of the comments in the vein of “Turner is rusty” Or “Turner is a crap goaltender who has no business playing footie - period “?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Just Google "matt turner keown".

https://tbrfootball.com/bt-pundits-criticise-matt-turner-after-sporting-goal-against-arsenal/

He doesn’t command his area,” Brown-Finnis told BT Sport. “He knows it’s going to be an in-swinger so you’ve got to be a little bit flat to your line. But he’s not set so he’s moving. Therefore, if you’re moving, you can’t make a decision and go for it.

“He has to command this. It’s three yards out, he’s got to go and make contact, got to clatter the player. He’s uncontested, that doesn’t help Matt Turner that Kiwior just does nothing, almost shrugs away. That, to me, indicates he’s had a shout. We’ve not seen anything to say that, but the keeper’s got to come.”

“What I’d be saying, if I’m playing regularly with this keeper, I’m going to have to go and head things because I can’t necessarily trust him. I hope it’s a one-off,” Keown added

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They took Turner out of the lineup! Talk about fickle.

zlatan_but_a_car and BostonRed repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible. I thought all the talk about him being shaky in the last match was BS. He made some great saves. He had one poor pass out of the back but hardly "shaky" like the typical Brit announcer claimed. Now he has to push for a loan. There are any number of teams in the top 5 leagues that would love to have Turner manning the posts.

20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    It's why my preference is, ---- the EPL, and in particular, go to mid table sides first if you do head over there as a Turner.

It's a bummer, if he's in the championship or a mid table side, he's more inclined to get forgiven, if he's not, well, you all know what happened to Howard at Manchester United after like 1 or 2 bad starts. It was 100% ---- this American scrub (and worse).

I hope he gets loaned out after the year, if this is what's going to happen after one middling performance, ---- all them, move on elsewhere. Don't need a repeat of the bull---- Howard had to put up with at Man U.

ChicagoVT and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  21. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer. I didn't see the game last week but I do think he is poor at coming out for crosses so the criticism posted above doesn't surprise me. I definitely noticed it during WC qualifying, He seems to have improved his passing so hopefully he can make adjustments in this area as well.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not unexpected at all. He wasnt close to good enough last game. This is the expectation/pressure that exists at these clubs. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. This could be good for him in the long run.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Ramsdale with big mistake. Caught off his line from 50 yards out. Poor footwork prevents making save on quality shot.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    One of the greatest moments in YA history (not directly involving the YA himself).

A YA fan's delight - spectacular!

25. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but of course anti American snobs will still blame Turner because his goalkeeping in the first leg allowed Sporting back into the match, amirite? :sneaky: And right on cue Golazo Show panel put the Sporting goal down to a remarkable strike rather than any goalkeeping error. (Ok, maybe there’s some merit to that, but why was Ramsdale so far off his line?)

grandinquisitor28 repped this.