Matt Turner at Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 28, 2020.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yeah. I think teams almost always ensure that at least the primary backup keeper gets a medal, in recognition of the belief that they are generally as important or valuable to the squad as the players in other positions that would automatically qualify by achieving the bare minimum number of necessary appearances. (I.e., staring keepers are uniquely expected to play the full 90 in every single league game of the season, barring injury or a severe drop in form.)

gomichigan24 and tomásbernal repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who? What? Why now?

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Says Friedel, who didn't lock down a permanent top-flight starting job until he was 30 and spent 6 full seasons as a Premier League backup goalkeeper.

It would be more fun if Turner was a starter, but he seems to be doing just fine. Arsenal also has no incentive to sell him at all.

5. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah, I think he should have his agent shop him around, and push for a transfer if a good option pops up, but there’s not really any urgency with the situation unless he just hates being a backup.

6. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Sounds like solid advice actually. Turner will be 29 at the end of this season. A man’s got to pay the bills, but Turner probably knows by now if he’s got a legit chance of being the starter.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Turner knew upon signing whether he had a legit chance to be a starter, and the answer was always no.

Hagbard Celine repped this.
  8. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    You think he committed himself to playing a handful of games per year for the rest of his playing days as a 27 yo goalie? Ouch.

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Year One in Europe: Training at Arsenal followed by schedule of cup games and possibility to replace Arsenal starter.

That was a good bargain for Matt and it already shows in his improved play. Year 2? I don't know what happens. I just know that so far so good.

b.t.w. Wasn't Friedel the guy who brought Turner into the forefront as a pro? I think I had some kickback on that one at some point which I'm too lazy to research. Just brought it up for context since Firedel getting roasted.

10. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Dude is allegedly getting paid like 8x what he was making in MLS. If the equation is "handful of first team games and get paid 8x my previous salary, or go to a lesser team / league, play more, but make 4x my previous salary", I think he would absolutely commit to the first option.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sure, but this doesn't mean he won't ask to be sold if an offer from mid table PL team looking for a starter comes. A year ago those offers just couldn't exist.

12. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I mean, I'm sure he's open to other offers, especially if it allows him to keep collecting $2m/yr. But I don't think he, "committed himself to playing a handful of games per year for the rest of his playing days"... he took a backup role because he's 27 and was offered (and I really can't stress this enough) an 8x raise for the next 3-4 years (TM says Arsenal has a 1-year option that activates in 2025).

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Again, agree. That was a right move, and, probably, neither Turner nor Arsenal expected him to be a lifelong back up anyway. He is much improved proven well known keeper now, if a good offer comes he will be sold.

MayaDempsey and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Which is again crazy to me that Arsenal was the only club (that we're aware of) that was interested in him. But it was the Premier League and he's making seven figures so I get it but damn he could have risked losing the no.1 spot.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Really hope he can get at least one PL game before the season ends.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'll be happy to root for this if it means that Arsenal have clinched with three matches to play, and not a Ramsdale injury.

18. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    No wonder my Ramsdale injury rooting hasn’t been working…you’re offsetting it. Damn.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Waiting and hoping for some Europa League action. R16 up next:

March 9 @ Sporting (4th in Portugal)

March 16 v Sporting

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a little disappointing to me Turner doesn’t come into a game like this…he needs 5 appearances to automatically qualify for a winners medal. Arsenal made 4 subs after it was 4-0, 2 in the 82nd minute. It would be easy for Turner to have been one.

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subs for goalies for anything other than an injury (or red card) in a competitive match are extremely rare, and even those are usually only ever to take over for penalties in a knock-out match. Others have noted that the league winners are given 40 medals to hand out and the number 2 keeper generally gets one regardless of how many league matches they've played anyway. Turner will almost certainly get one if Arsenal win, even if he doesn't play another game for them this season.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah backup goalkeepers don’t get subbed in the middle of a game without a red card or injury

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    89th minute, let's sub a keeper. Keepers speaking in unison "WTF coach?"

24. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    120th minute, let's sub a keeper. Keepers speaking in unison "This man has the biggest brain of any manager I've ever seen"

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    All signs/sources point to a Turner start for Arsenal today, visiting Sporting (of Portugal) in Europa League KO action. The home leg is next Thursday.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.