Matt Turner ahead of Zack Steffen as US national team goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Repped but check out how players in MLS pretend to be getting out of the way of the keeper while still managing to make contact. I'm tired of it and would like to see some cards handed out.

Pegasus repped this.
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh de Gea fell off a cliff. Idk what happened but he went from 1/2 in the world to needs to ride the bench. But yes he isn’t bulky he’s tall and long and was quick af

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which fans? Doyle has been on the Turner bandwagon since before Steffen left the Crew.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I can see Turner hesitate when he’s confronted with collisions. That’s a problem.

A keeper needs to be able to initiate collisions with confidence. It’s part of the job.

TrueCrew and ifsteve repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I had hoped we'd see Steffen and Horvath channel their most Friedel vs Keller but it seems like Turner is the diamond in the rough that's finally being recognized. Though a shame he'll be the no.2 at Arsenal. Surely some promoted side in the PL or some other top 5 league would have given him a shot. He has a bunch of qualifying caps, an EU passport, his wages wouldn't be high plus he's rated as the best keeper in MLS.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who should play
    How do you know Turner will be #2? That has yet to be decided, and Turner has a lot of say in the matter. Brady had 3 quarterbacks ahead of him at the start of his rookie season, and 4 months later he is the starting quarterback. Matt Turner is the best goalkeeper in MLS, he is 4 years older than Ramsdale, he is arguably more athletic, and he has 16 international caps to Ramsdale's 1. I would not rule him out as #1.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #282 Paul Berry, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022

If Slonina were a year older #5

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnson is #3, based on recent form #2.

9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's hard to tell how being a number 2 for Arsenal will effect Turner (of course with Ramsdale the question is always which player will you get) but Turner as of now doesn't have the mental lapses both Steffen and Horvath will occasionally have.

I do think if Steffen has a great start to with Borro (provided that move finally goes through) he'd get the nod over Turner as thr number 1 for the Nats but that's the only thing. Horvath basically is fighting to be the number 3 with a good start to with Luton

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say the same thing here I said in the goalkeeping thread. Heres' why Horvath makes the roster over Johnson.

The #3 is only going to get any playing time in an unusual set of circumstances (injuries or cards to the #1 and 2). Horvath is the ONLY keeper on the depth chart who has proven on several occasions that he can come in cold not having played much and give us a terrific match.

If I have to go to a #3 in Qatar I want Horvath over Johnson and its not even close.

xbhaskarx, FTGOTC and Pegasus repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would even say he specializes in that. It's when you give him an extended spell that he messes up.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the short term the step up in quality in training is a good thing for Turner. You can already see it in the comments he's made about needing to adjust to the higher level. And he'll have a chance to work on some of the shortcomings in his game, like playing with his feet.

In the medium term is not great and hopefully he gets at least all the cup games and Europa League group stage games between now and the World Cup to try and stay as sharp as possible,

In the long term he may have to move or go on loan, but that's a post World Cup discussion.

ifsteve repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Interesting little situation. Ramsdale continuing to start hurts the US chances whereas if Turner somehow starts the campaign with Ramsdale on the bench could weaken England.

TrueCrew repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way is Turner starting ahead of Ramsdale.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That was mean!

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pickford is England's presumptive starter, and Steffen is the USA's. I doubt that either will change before the WC.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    IMO, the single-most important aspect of a #3 GK is just how good a teammate they are. They're being called in to come into camp, compete, be in the locker and the hotel for a few high-stress, high-reward weeks, and be the least-likely player on the team to ever see the pitch. If it's anywhere near close the guy who serves as glue to the squad (and maybe an extra pair of coaching eyes) is the guy who gets the nod.

The Clientele repped this.
  18. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    And some here expect an 18 year old to be that person. SMH

19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Teams can take a variety of approaches o a third goalie. He can be the longstanding backup who is OK with it or he can be the young guy who doesn't expect much but that they want to keep around the team and get some experience or they can just take whoever is third best and not overthink it to death. Personally, I am much more interested in who is starting first of all and then who will back him up. Goalie #3 isn't going to mean much whichever path is taken. That said, I'd give it to Horvath for his service throughout the cycle and his demonstrated ability to come in cold and play well. He's also accustomed to sitting on the bench.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Turner getting his first appearance for Arsenal in an official match; starting now against FC Zurich in the Europa League.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I feel for Steffen. Heralded as our no.1 for years to come but those injuries but even more so, his decision to just remain at City has really bit him in the butt.

On the other side, an underdog like Matt Turner came out of nowhere. He's basically an upgraded Wondolowski.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started reading the first few pages here, Is funny how things changed in 2 years. Lots of 2020 posts did not age well.

But who would have known.

FTGOTC and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A reason I no longer am ever positive about my opinions. I've had plenty turn out to be good but have also had some blow up in my face. I find solace in scouts, TD's and owners making huge mistakes with a lot more knowledge than I have.

nobody repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I suspect the average of of the "piss & vinegar" crowd on these boards is very young. Those of us with a more even-keeled approach have been there and see it all. At some point you're just going to be wrong about everything, so sit back & enjoy the ride.

Yes, who could have seen Turner coming? I don't know, but who could have seen Jay DeMerit coming? There are many, many, many examples of players emerging from nowhere into the USMNT pool.

TrueCrew repped this.