Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (TxT) and Gorky repped this.
  2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somebody will definitely need to come up with a Groundhog Day reference. And I mean a good one.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the pun in that?

Midas Mulligan, freisland and Deeneaus repped this.
  4. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GalacticoX4 and Borrachin repped this.
  5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Sorry, genuine question, what's the problem with Sunderland?

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are still wrong... he is pretty much a lockdown starter, but they nearly always had somebody hurt. You did notice actually that he did not start the opener right??

He is one of my fav players, but it is simply wrong to say he is a lockdown starter. He did not start the opener and that may have been over a flu bug, but the preferred right back is Glen(n?)Johnson when healthy. Shawcross is the preferred CB when healthy.

Before all the injuries hit last year he was in the DM rotation, then he played even when hurt because he was the least hurt of the CB crew.

Either way this is off topic and I apologize to the rest of the board to even responding to your post in the first place. I do not know a great deal about footy but I do nkow all about Geoff and his career at Stoke.

Back to Miazga, he ought too take any starting job in England at whatever level he can get on the pitch.

7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people on here blamed Sunderland for the demise of Jozy, which may have some truth, but ultimately, regardless of "the service" from his teammates, he was a complete and utter disaster.

8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    #1733 largegarlic, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    I can obviously only speak for myself, but my dislike of Sunderland (and Yanks playing there) goes back to Altidore's stint there. Altidore certainly didn't do himself or the team much good with his performance there, but the team as a whole was just so horrible to watch. Absolutely no cohesion in their passing or marking--someone would check back for a pass to feet and the passer misreads it and plays it over their heads into space, CBs being totally confused on their marking assignments, etc. And then you'd have Adam Johnson dribble around forever, decide not to pass to 2 totally open people in the penalty area, and instead just shank a shot from 30 yards out. It was just a terrible display of the sport in every facet.

Every weekend morning I swore to myself that this was the last time I was getting up early to watch Sunderland in the vain hope that Altidore would put in a good performance, but I kept doing it...

lmorin, taylor, tomásbernal and 4 others repped this.
  9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Thanks for the response.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can get on at Sunderland, that would be great. The Prem is a big jump for a CB of his age and experience.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland has younger, more talented players now, which would be fortified by a couple Americans such as Yedlin and Miazga. Also, Moyes isn't exactly Jurgen Klopp, but he doesn't play super conservative like Sam Allardyce either. So they shouldn't choose to, or be forced to, bunker and play long balls. In addition, Moyes has been known to have a favorable view of Americans, and Miazga could be playing alongside multiple Yanks there. That would make things comfortable for him and give him some leeway to make a mistake or two. The situations at Fulham and Everton were conducive to the success of some of our players. Moyes was the manager of one of those clubs. Plus, it's worth noting that Jozy made his own bed to a degree. So I think it's an unfair or outdated view that Sunderland would be a bad destination for Americans.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No! It's the ultimate Douglas Adams reference. It's epic, and it's just sooooooo appropriate. We've had this conversation before- go back and look at my posts in the Yedlin at Sunderland thread. Believe me when I say, the title is in your honor.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Thank you for your apology. Any level? How about in the lower BPL or top Championship team. England below that isn't very good and Miazga is a pretty good young player.

14. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaboul is going to Watford, which opens up a centerback spot at Sunderland.

ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I'm down for it. You actually cannot get more experience in the EPL as a CB than playing for Sunderland. Good move if it happens.

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe, Sunderland has gotten better, but I wonder if the same organizational issues exist. Allardyce was able to get rid of some deadwood, and they did get rid of the woman that was behind a lot of their poor football decisions. The same Short still owns the club and he was the guy who presided over the organizational dysfunction and okayed hiring the total novice.

The old view may or may not be outdated. They do not appear to have "backed" Moyes in addressing their needs for real PL quality players. There is still some time left in the window so we shall see. It is too early to tell whether it would be a good place for a yank who was not a defender, but for defenders it ought to be a great place since they well may be under seige, home or away, all season long.

17. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    In addition to Miazga and Yedlin, as well as Gooch already being there, they were also rumored to have interest in Danny Williams earlier in the transfer window.

18. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Moyes is a good coach. Unfairly judged by his stint at Man U, I think but I'll be damned if he wasn't a positive influence on Everton. Also he chose to bring Donovan over to Everton multiple times so he has to have some idea of US players.

19. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Moyes would be a miracle worker if he can get Sunderland off the perpetual relegation zone treadmill. This is a club which specializes in spending 7-8 seasons at a time fighting to stay up, then they finally get relegated, after which they immediately win promotion back to the EPL -- to start the cycle all over again.

freisland repped this.
  20. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Better than Hull City who have become the ultimate yo-yo club in recent times.

21. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    #1746 SpencerNY, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Sunderland would be awesome if he plays. Van Aanholt is sure to keep him on his toes.

Predictably, our good friends at Ready To Go are stoked:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/matt-miazga.1265427/

Meltdown time

Who the hell?

What the shi*ting f*ck?

Gets to an 88 on FIFA, I'm in boys.

F*ck me, can this transfer window get anymore depressing?

:ROFLMAO:

wsmaugham repped this.
  22. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely worth a it to read that Sunderland forum...funny stuff.

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Who was the last American we signed?
    Yedlin, Reyna before that. Any others? I've banished big Jozy from the memory banks.

Aye I thought it was Jozy for a sec :lol: - One of the worst players I've seen play for the lads and one of the worst in Prem history surely given his record.

lol

24. MadeInIllinois

MadeInIllinois New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    #1749 MadeInIllinois, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    In terms of club prestige, they aren't Chelsea. In terms of EPL ranking they're at the bottom of the league. Positives is that they have David Moyes as the new manager. Another potential positive is that Miazga can get playing and develop.

I think some people need to understand this about defenders: If you aren't elite or the next Ashley Cole or Gary Neville you're going to be on the bench. I'd rather have our young America defenders be loaned or sold to team where they can get playing time, even if that means a mid or bottom table EPL team, or even if it's a top-half Championship team. Playing time, that's the key.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My main problem with Sunderland is that I would have to watch Sunderland.