Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    @bshredder I thought he would have to be in the Free Agent allocation to enter the MLS. Since Cincy was #1 and intended to use it everyone would have to wait till they did. But thanks for the answer.

2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    MLS always helps coordinate/broker/mediate higher profile signings/highly sought after signings from what I hear.

Good for the league so why wouldn‘t they?

Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, now August. Even the most hopeful US fan has to realize something is up.
    You would think.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Here’s a slightly different question.

Could Cincinnati have (intentionally or not) jammed up all the other MLS teams by waiting until the very day of the deadline to finalize the Miazga deal?

Did all the other teams have to wait for Cincy to act? How does the allocation system work?

Brooks is on a free, but was he subject to allocation? What about other YAs? Which players are subject to allocation?

Are there players who must first ‘clear waivers’ with their original ‘home teams’ before signing elsewhere?

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could have but I think they could have just passed on a hypothetical Brooks, allowing a team later in the order to take him.

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I also imagine there would have to be some sort of deadline (aside from the secondary transfer window deadline) for teams to make a decision or formally pass on a player in the allocation list, after another team has expressed interest in signing them. Otherwise a team high up in the allocation order could just gum up the works by keeping their options open broadly until deadline day.

Ray Shoesmith and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think this will be good for Cincinnati, and should be good for Miazga. Bouncing from club to club every year has to suck. Now he can settle in a bit, and if he does well, he will be in contention for gold cup rosters.

Moving forward, I think there is a little room for experienced MLSers to find roles on USMNT “b teams” this way. And doing well might put him back on the fringe of the A team.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Meowzga! What will become of this thread?

9. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Well, I am feline that it will be put on paws until he claws his way abroad; otherwise it’ll just be liter

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And people complain about fish pun derails . . . :confused:

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I never pay attention to those pureeing catfishers.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Would have liked to see how he would have fared in Serie A. Back when Fiorentina were supposedly interested in him.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Serie B maybe, because Serie A was definitely above his pay grade.

russ repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The list is here, Brooks is not on it https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-allocation-process

Once someone is transferred out for a fee their original team no longer has any rights to them.

Cincinnati definitely has all the leverage. Anyone who wants to sign Miazga or anyone else from the list would have to go through them.

The whole thing is a bit dumb and something that I home MLS drops in the near future.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    "who last played for Chelsea" LOL

16. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I mean, it's true. He even started alongside N’Golo Kante.

Gorky and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States