Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gets an option for the Championship, he should take it, even if Sunderland

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'll get something in the Championship or the equivalent but something tells me that it will go right down to deadline day.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    always does with this guy

The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which tells its own story. Nobody has ever rated him highly enough to put money down in July to secure his services as a starter or a rotator, so he waits by the phone with his bags packed until someone decides "eh, we need depth so why not Miazga?"

He's well-paid for his trouble, certainly, but it can't be very enjoyable either

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last season in la liga is the only time in his career he wasnt a starter right away. nantes (after a mangerial change) and reading are the only times he didnt finish a starter.

so i guess youre right about the rotator part?

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A brief recap of Miazga's career:

2015/16 -- wasted half-season, played two games, second one he stunk

2016/17 -- Chelski sends him off to Vitesse, plays a month in the Jack's (third division), plays a lot in the Ered, doesn't stink the joint, and the club finishes #5

2017/18 -- Vitesse keeps him, and he has his best season. Undisputed starter, is brill in the playoffs to get to the Europa. Club finishes #6. He stirs some interest in the Top 5.

2018/19a -- Nantes gets him over Vitesse that wanted him for a third, but the speed of the Ligue 1 forwards is too much. He gets canned after 8 games (4 losses, 3 draws, 1 win) and is return-to-sender in January. Not good enough.

2018/19b -- Chelski sends him to Reading in the Colaship. They finish 20 in a weak team, with Matt showing well and finishing a starter.

2019/20 -- So far he looks good in the Ered, good in the Ch'ship, sub-par in Ligue 1, lost in the EPL. Reading takes him back, but he suffers two injuries and after a 3-game suspension, ends the season benched and unwanted by the fans.

2020/21 -- Anderlecht gives him a shot, thinking it's possible he's better than the Ch'ship if not good enough for the Top 5. He does well enough in my view, with Anderlecht finishing 3rd (a good result in context). For some reason they make clear they're not interested to have him back.

2021/22 -- Alaves gets him at the eleventh hour and he looks adequate, nothing to write home about, but he gets corona and after he seems slow to react and gets benched for good. No second chances. Fans don't like him, again.

It's the profile of a player that could fit a top Championship team or a bottom team in one of the top 5 but, somehow, doesn't make himself liked by those around.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Was he really that bad in his 2nd match for Chelsea?

If I recall he started off well for Nantes and then did poorly and a new manager came in and didn't wanna play him.

8. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    uhhh, he was pretty not great in that second match. If I recall correctly, he had a missed or whiffed header attempt that lead to a goal.

Also, any MLS transfer in the off-season really has guys at a disadvantage as Europe is in mid-season at that point. So he was set up to fail.

Since then though, that's been on him.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Seek the thread.

When people here say one of our guys was bad, he was really bad.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of this is Chelsea is still trying to get a transfer fee for him. It’s why they made him extend his contract before he went on loan last summer. He also didn’t stay at Anderlecht (who wanted to keep him) because Chelsea was asking for too much money for him.

I’m sure Chelsea is currently looking for a sale as opposed to him going on loan and losing him for free at the end of the season. And his market value at current doesn’t really inspire clubs to offer much in terms of a transfer fee. I’m sure a club like Burnley for instance would be happy to take a flyer on Miazga and take him on loan. I doubt however they want to pay a fee to Chelsea to do so.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Couldn't he have fought to ensure a move to Anderlecht or at least tried to force another loan there?

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    From what Matt himself said a Chelsea rule is/was if you get hurt even if on loan with another team you are to return to London to be evaluated by Chelsea's medical team. The new Nantes manager told Matt he couldn't go, Matt said he had to and ended up just leaving but the exit from Nantes was ugly.

From what I remember it was a salary issue. I don't remember it being a bad split up for him, just purely financial and Anderlecht not wanting another loan.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is speculation though, I don't think it was ever confirmed that Anderlecht wanted him. They could have obtained him as a loan for a second season, if they really felt he was the right fit. They just didn't, and the talk was that it was over Chelsea wanting too much money for an outright sale, a sort of tantrum.

The original source for the report was a local newspaper to the area (Het Laatste Nieuws en SudPresse), and it only stated that Anderlecht abandoned the plans to get him. It was Voetbal Nieuws that speculated over the reason, and they made it clear in the original Dutch version:

https://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/604569/anderlecht-hakt-knoop-door-over-miazga

"The central defender is under contract with Chelsea for another year, but there is no extension for the time being. A new lease therefore seems out of the question. And taking Miazga definitively was probably too costly an operation, after all, despite the shareholders' agreement, the resources remain limited. Anderlecht would therefore focus on other avenues and are currently scanning the market for suitable (affordable) alternatives."

So they didn't go for the loan because Chelsea at that point had not renewed his contract and Anderlecht was doing business early in the window, and they didn't get him _probably_ because he was too expensive. Which can also mean too expensive for what they were willing to offer.

Anderlecht that window spent a lot of money on transfers: the LB Sergio Gomez from BvB for $2.5m, the CB Wesley Hoedt from Southampton for an undisclosed fee, the forward Raman from Schalke for $3.3m, the CM Olsson from Krasnodar for $4.4m, and got several expensive loanees like Magallan from Ajax, Kouame from Fiorentina, and Zirkzee from Bayern.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s also the source which is Matt Miazga. https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/n...locked-anderlecht-transfer-before-alaves-loan

“Anderlecht was an attractive option. I was important, the coach is fantastic and the club is up there. I spoke with Vincent (Kompany) and Peter (Verbeke), but it was quickly clear that it would not be easy to buy me, which is what Anderlecht wanted. Chelsea asked too much money, Anderlecht looked for and found alternatives – I can’t blame the club management. That’s just how the football world works.”

How much Chelsea was asking for I have no idea, but Miazga had one year left on his contract and shouldn’t have had a very high market value.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Matt had said before that that he wanted to stay in Anderlecht.

However, as a party involved, he's not a reliable source. It is in his own benefit to make it look as if they also wanted him, after all, he had said he wanted to stay:

https://astamfordbridgetoofar.com/2...t-anderlecht-instead-of-returning-to-chelsea/

So they didn't even ask for a loan, got several expensive loanees, paid a lot of money for other players (including a CB), well... you don't want to look like the rejected suitor.

Basically, what everybody is saying is that Anderlecht didn't want to pay what Chelsea was asking. Which can also be translated as they wanted Matt but only if he was fairly cheap. And they didn't wait another month for the extension to be signed to get him on a loan, even though they got their loanees at the end of the window, when Matt was already open to one.

Doesn't click.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree I think Matt Miazga is a very reliable source. We also don’t know they could have gotten him back on loan. Miazga wasn’t even able to go on loan until he extended his contract, and he was clearly according to his own words looking for a more permanent move (as he says in the same interview). I doubt he’s lying about Anderlecht also wanting him. The part we don’t know is how much they wanted to pay versus how much Chelsea was asking.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of course he's not lying. He's just saying things in a way that makes it sound as if they also wanted him. "It would not be easy to buy me... Chelsea wanted too much money."

I always say what matters is what people do, not what they say. Matt signed a contract extension on August 20th, and Anderlecht got a CB on loan on August 31st (Lisandro Magallan from Ajax).

Not to mention they bought a CB, Hoedt, valued at over $4m and even if they got him for a free (which is possible, but never was confirmed: he had a year left with The Saints), they still had to pay him a juicy salary, considering he had other offers (and was coming from the EPL where even the trainers make more than the average Jupiler player).

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He started the first La Liga game he was eligible for, and then 5 of the next 6, before getting benched for 5 of the next 6. After that he made exactly 3 more appearances in the entire season.

A guy on loan who plays in 11 out of the 36 league games he was eligible for and had precisely zero appearances after February would be a rotator, unless he was crocked. Miazga wasn't

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga overlapped one year when Jesse Marsch coached NY Red Bull. Just sayin'.

20. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
  21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Can't wait to see the BigSoccer reaction when Miazga makes the Chelsea roster this year ;)

But seriously, if that happens, or he gets a good loan to a Championship team and plays, I would take him to WC over Aaron Long, Carter-Vickers, or EPB.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Matt made the bench for the Nations League final and since then nothing. That was over a year ago. I don't think he's in Egg's plans.

Personally, from his club career, I have the nagging suspicion he may be locker room poison. We'll see.

23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Ah, a roulette gambler!

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ala Geoff Cameron?

25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    LV- can you extrapolate?

GC seemed well liked in England. Made captain at QPR and played for only 2 clubs over a pretty long period

The Irish Rover repped this.