Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chelsea paid $5 million for a 4.5 year contract, back in 2016. So Matt must be making around $1.1 m/season. Then he signed a 3-year extension under similar terms.

His first season he played 135 minutes only. A full game against Villa and the first half against Swansea (they lost that one, after a goal in the first half, Sigurdsson scored for the Swans after a Matt "assist").

Playing for Chelsea in 2016 he got $1.1 million for 135 minutes. That's over $8,000 per minute. It's impressive, Militao is making about $3,000/minute with Real --and he's considered the best CB in the world right now.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Ouch! That’s like paying $20/lb for hamburger meat. No wonder he has been on eternal loan hoping to get a suitor for him.

3. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    To bad he played 135 minutes. If he would hav e only played 5 or 10 minutes for Chelsea he would be making so much more!!!!!!

Suyuntuy repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FWIW, Burnely's need for new CB options for next season has sharply increased since the end of the season. That Mee and Tarkowski were leaving at the end of the month has long been understood, but they believed that Nathan Collins would step up and take over one of the the CB berths and they would buy a second.

Unfortunately for Burnley, Collins has had a breakout Nations League campaign for Ireland this summer, crowned by this "eat your heart out Lionel Messi" gem of a goal:

Unsurprisingly, he's now in heavy demand and asking for a move. That'll leave them with only their 4th choice/depth CB and in urgent need of reinforcements there..

It might open the door a crack for Miazga. Even if it doesn't, the goal is well worth a look. ;)

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cincinnati rumor:

6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Would be a great piece of business for Cincy. If it happens it makes Cincy better overnight, and shows that Albright is a pretty damn good GM for what he has done. For Matt? Don‘t think it‘s the worst thing in the world.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Man the move from Alaves to Cincy would be one cold bucket of hog slop, just from a basic humanity stand point.

8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A million plus in Cincy though? I just moved back to Milwaukee for lower cost of living and having sticker shock IN THE OTHER DIRECTION is a great thing

theboogeyman repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    At least you can afford the plane to... anywhere else.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    FCC is the slow fade into oblivion.

11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That‘s what he has been doing anyway.

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not the move to correct it imo

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or his path to being Walker Zimmerman next cycle. He was a very good MLS player before he left and at least with Cincinnati he’ll get a chance to play a ton and be a key part of their team. What he needs more than anything is consistency on the club front.

If he has a strong start with Cincinnati it could even get him back into the World Cup picture.

ChicagoVT and edcrocker repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I‘m not sure. We will see what Euro options there actually are. Me thinks they won‘t be all that great. I hope not, but this is what happens to players in his situation.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Kinda depends on your definitions. The first step in MM avoiding irrelevancy is playing regularly. Cinncy should let him do that... the question is whether any place with more visibility/quality would do that as well.

theboogeyman repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was a promising player with a lot of glaring flaws (mostly mental, concentration, also passing) in his game when he left MLS. The loan carousel hasn't exactly helped him correct those flaws.

I think he'd be one of the better CBs in the league on his return, but I don't see any Zimmerman-like development in his future.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was still one of the better center backs in MLS while he was there. His last year in MLS he finished 4th on MLS Defender of the Year voting. The same spot Zimmerman finished a year later.

Zimmerman has improved quite a bit as a player over the last four years. There's no reason that with more regular playing time, Miazga won't as well. In the 2019 Gold Cup Miazga was better than Zimmerman. He's fallen behind since because of the loan carousal and the lack of consistency in his club situation.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still ponder why Chelsea picked him up six years ago despite all the criticisms so many of you give him. Though it's clear lack of consistent PT has done him in.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #8419 ArsenalMetro, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Those awards are a sham tbh. Vito Mannone winning GK of the Year when he was 25th in goalkeeper xG made that clear.

I watched just about every Miazga game when he played in New York. His move came too early because he was still raw as hell when he left MLS, and he made a ton of boneheaded mistakes even in that near-award-winning season.

He has had plenty of playing time over the years (201 games with the US or a Euro club team) to address the mental aspect of his game, and I frankly haven't seen any improvement, at all, in that department.

He's just kind of a hot-headed dumbass who lacks the composure that someone like Zimmerman has always had. Consistent playing time in MLS or elsewhere doesn't seem likely to fix that fundamental issue.

butters59 and tomásbernal repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Still aging in a stable environment will help to some degree.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He had 2 successive seasons at Vitesse (where he won the Dutch Cup) and then an 18 month spell at Reading. That's enough consistency for a player to show what he's capable of and improve his game. He hasn't, or he hasn't improved it enough for anyone to put in a bid over a 7-year period in Europe.

That's on him, not his club situation.

theboogeyman and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As much as I like Matt, I have to agree with that. It's been a good run and lucrative, but if your future does not turn out to be Europe, coming home and still getting paid does not suck.

23. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I don’t keep up with MLS enough to know if Cincinnati is a good fit, but I’ve thought for a few years that a move to MLS would be good for him, and for the league in general.

Miazga has been given enough opportunities to show that he isn’t really good enough to play consistently in a top league. He could probably carve out a decent career in the championship or somewhere like Belgium but he’s not good enough for even a Hoffenheim type of team.

by going back to MLS, he can probably maximize his income AND playing time. He’ll be 27 next month, so his next contract could be his last long one.

I don’t think he is good enough to turn into another Zimmerman, but I do think he could get himself into the picture for some gold cup caps as the experienced veteran on b teams.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see him coming back to MLS. It seems most likely he returns to the Championship or pop up in a random league like Turkey.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The Vitesse Miazga was pretty decent. Probably not "Big 5/can't miss" decent, but he had to win a spot of a vet - and did, had to play a decent passing game, and mostly did, and help the team win, which he mostly did as well (all well having to share a dressing room with Mason Mount - ewwww!) If he can replicate that consistency of games and level of play, he can help a few teams. But if he could match that level of play with increased tactical awareness and a bit more clever soccer brain, he could be very useful. Not sure he's got the learning in him, though.

BrianLBI, gomichigan24, abw and 2 others repped this.