Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm sure that contributed, but generally a single bad card doesn't bench a player whose play the coaches like. Perhaps it's part of an overall attitude issue? I haven't seen it reported, it's just weird he seems to play well then fall off the nice list pretty quickly... Odd.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Matt displays all the symptoms of assholism, to be honest.

There should be a 12 step for that.

3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Can you give some examples?

4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean aside from the on the field antics and needless red cards? If we clumped together all the countries he's lost a starting spot in, it would make Napoleon drool.

Gorky and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Is this really true tho? Obviously he's had a few cards and a couple of famous (among us) incidents, but has he had that many more than other defenders?

He has 0 this season at Alaves. 2 YC. But he went 90 in 6 of 7 games plus 2 sub appearance (7 of 8 90s if you count the Copa) with only 2 YCs before being benched.
    Previous season he had 0 RCs in 24 league appearances. 1 RC in 6 playoff games... so 1 RC in 33 games if you include the cup run.

So we got in last 2 years 1 RC in 42 games... 7 YCs... The playoff RC was a bad place to get it, no doubt, but I think it's got to be off-field stuff somehow...

And the year before for Reading one RC in 20 league games and a few cup appearances...

He does like to get them at the end of the season, but I think there's got to be something else going on.

adam tash repped this.
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Depends on how high you rate balls grabbing where he is elite comparing to getting carded where he is average.

russ, Jazzy Altidore and The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, but again, Vitesse, where he grabbed the chock-full-a, played him and would have had him back, irrc. Now, to be fair, he played a lot in Belgium too, and was likely just too expensive for a "real" transfer - and that is likely his "finding a home" problem. Chelsea don't care about a few nickles for MM. But the Alves situation is odd. I don't know enough about the club, and absent a Racing/I hope you fine your Jari local, I don't know if we'll ever get a good idea of the local skinny. Maybe MM was good enough to start those games, but once injuries healed he wasn't good enough to win back the spot. Just odd how his welcome seems to get worn out, even though he get in a good number of games...

Winoman repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I honestly don't understand neither his nor CCV careers trajectories. Maybe loaned CBs should be more dominant to keep playing?

adam tash repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his nut-grab ratio leads among active defenders.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It may take MM more than 1 season to muscle a place in a league as good as La Liga as well. Hope he gets more chances.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muscle isn’t his issue

freisland repped this.
  12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, the grabbing-by-the-balls stuff could be written off as being a master of shithousery and the associated dark arts, but there was the Diego Lainez incident which did leave a bad taste in a lot of mouths.

Mind you, as a rotator for a Real Betis side that's in the CL places while Miazga is struggling for PT at relegation-bait Alaves, Lainez is having the last laugh. If he remembers Miazga at all, that is.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lainez is being linked with a move to Nashville, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But again, those were both quite a while ago. MM has had good transfers - and some good reviews since then. I don't think his on-field discipline is really an issue. (His off-field might be, tho.)

I'm pretty much coming to the opinion at this point that he's good enough for many teams, but not quite good enough for the teams he wants, at least at the $ Chelski will bother to answer a call for.

Once he's a free, we will get a better opportunity to see his real level.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Football's had a lot of villains down the years, compared to whom Miazga is just a naughty little schoolboy. Perhaps the pick of the bunch was Sevilla's - shall we say "robust" - CB stalwart Pablo Alfaro.

Possibly the last of Spain's la Furia era hard men, he racked up exactly 600 appearances with 7 different clubs, incorporating 30 sendings-off, a whopping 18 of them straight reds. He's probably best remembered outside Spain, and indeed inside it, for a 2004 Copa del Rey quarter-final tie where he conducted an on-the-pitch prostate examination on his opponent, the unfortunately named Touché (no, really, that was his name :D).

Calls for an extended ban were blocked by the fact that the referee hadn't seen anything and Touché, perhaps understandably, chose not to make a formal complaint, though the wags suggested that, as a qualified doctor (yes, you did read that correctly) Alfaro could have claimed professional immunity anyway :speechless:. One wonders the treatments Dr. Pablo would have administered had he not made it as a footballer: he'd intended to become a gynecologist :eek:.

BTW that was his last season as a starter for Sevilla. The next season he was supplanted in the lineup by his spiritual heir, one Sergio Ramos . . .

The Guardian's Sid Lowe had a field day reporting on that episode. It's hilarious, e.g.
    Amid much head-shaking and, let's face it, school-boy giggling, the man who earlier this season insisted that football had become "too effeminate", found himself on Radio Marca explaining his actions. "I was defending my team to the limit", he said revealing a little too much dedication to the cause, before making a typically eloquent, intelligent defence of his case. After 14 years in Primera, he can't be just a nutter, he argued, few players can claim to be a Sister of Mercy, Zidane hardly goes round handing out sweeties, and people focused on him - he's a dog with a very, very bad name. Like Spot or Rex.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/feb/03/europeanfootball.sport

freisland, russ, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Lainez has made 5 less league appearances in La Liga than Miazga has. Overall they’ve played the same amount of games total when you count cup and Europa League matches. Only 3 of those matches has he started versus 6 for Miazga. Miazga hasn’t had a great loan but Lainez is not a rotator for Real Betis, he barely plays and is in desperate need of a move elsewhere.

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One wonders if he studied medicine just to inflict the maximum punishment on his opponents. I miss those guys, even if the game is better off without them.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He missed the first two months of the season with a knee injury and with the team in the CL places - unheard of for Betis - he's understandably found it hard to break back into the starting XI, but he played in 25 out of 43 games in all competitions last season and he's still only 21.

"Desperate need of a move" is a bit dramatic for someone who is still something of a prospect and has 2.5 seasons left on a 14 million Euro deal

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    How the Mexican players are doing in Europe should never be our concern. It's not a standard to emulate at this point.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, perhaps his career was an attempt to generate business for his medical practice :whistling:

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe not, but if Miazga would do something to warrant commenting on or, some might say, even having a thread . . .

22. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. plus, he's banging in all those goals.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Miazga has missed a couple of weeks because of COVID. And of those 25 games last year he started 8 in the league and 4 in the Copa Del Rey against mostly lower division teams. At no point has he been a regular starter for Real Betis.

So yeah as a 21 year old whose supposed to be one of Mexico's top up and coming prospects I would say he's in desperate need of a move to somewhere that he can play a lot more minutes, which has never really happened during his time at Real Betis. I feel like he gets overrated because he was so good against the US in the Nations League, but he hasn't really shown much during his club career in Europe thus far.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lainez to Norwich. You heard it here first!

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States