Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I watched Miazga with Nantes.

He's no Top 5 material.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he also had strong showing in Belgium and in Uefa Cup to secure the move.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's not that I don't think Miazga couldn't hack it, though I think it's important to note he lags behind someone like Aaron Long in athleticism and behind Ream in passing and consistency.

It's that I think it is unikely that anyone is going to pay for Matt Miazga for the EPL. Ream got promoted in and got demoted out. Long was inquired about but West Ham wasn't willing to pay much at all.

If Miazga got promoted in, he'd hang on, I think. But there's nothing so unique or strong about his skillset that someone is going to drop good money for him. So if Chelsea wants him to go cheap and someone needs someone tall ... sure? But there's a lot of tall guys and probably a lot of teams more willing to sell than Chelsea.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The guy is playing for a bottom half championship club where he is mediocre to alright most matches.

The step up to the premier league is huge even for the bottom clubs in the premier league. I don't think Miazga has what it takes. If he wants to stay in europe, his best bet is outside to top 4 leagues.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Kendall Waston makes around 750k. Miazga would make that. At least.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Squad Goals!

7. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I don't have any picts of the match, but Matt squared off against Captain America today at Chelsea's training facility. The match was played behind closed doors, but I have some inside sources to get this pict
    [​IMG]

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ended 1-0 for Chelski, apparently. Pedro scored.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have some inside sources as well...

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

11. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    :p

freisland repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Development isn't linear, even in magical Europe.

Yedlin improved his defense, but regressed offensively. Flipped strengths and weaknesses by playing dump and chase under Sam Allardyce.

The same was the case in reverse for Miazga. He developed into a better passing cb in Holland especially, while declining in terms of his awareness and confidence on defense. Plus, he lost some experience by being in and out of lineups on loan.

For Yedlin, it's either been a wash, or moderate positive, because he plays a defense first position at most clubs.

Whereas the opposite is true for Miazga because it's defense that's been harmed as a central defender. If he went to Leicester or Leipzig instead of Chelsea I think he'd have been comfortably a top 4 league starter. Getting into the right situation(s) those first few yrs makes a big difference in a player's ultimate outcome.

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.
  13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Or the simple explanation is that Yedlin never was much of an offensive threat (except maybe in the WC where he was an unknown and surprised people, that doesn't happen in a league after they get film on you) all he ever really was is damned fast. Miazga never looked good enough for PL level to me.

YMMV, but Miazga looked almost as bad in his CFC debut as Shea did in his SCFC debut.

Both of them did well if you consider they were trying to make a living. They maximized their earnings based on what is, not how we wished things were. If they have even the most rudimentary of money mgmt skills neither of them should have to take a job for a paycheck. No matter how we feel about it, the whole purpose was to make a living, and they have achieved that.

All the crap folks talk about well they could have made a lot more, there is no evidence to support that. The more likely scenario is that said player is not as good as was thought initially.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In many cases, outside clear super-stars or especially specifically uniquely skilled players, their "level" often depends on team, coach, philosophy.

There is no magic dust that makes a very good Champions player "not" a passable low-end EPL player. I think it's pretty clear that Miazga, like players like Cameron, Bocanegra, Bedoya, and a bunch of others, falls into that great fat middle of "often good enough, rarely great. But also professional enough that they tend to find ways to contribute on a decent team and managers don't mind having them on the squad." I don't doubt on the right team, for the right price, MM would be a perfectly acceptable EPL CD, but he's also not a guy you go outside your budget to get, and he's not likely first on your list. But if something crazy like Reading getting magically promoted happened, I don't think Matt is outclassed more than your average bottom-1/3 EPL defender.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Matt's issues at Nantes had little to do with things we could associate to poor coaching.¹ His problem was entirely decision making: moving forward when he should have stayed put, breaking the line enabling the rival's attack when he should have stayed with the other defenders, and making the pass to the guy who was surrounded.

Elementary stuff, and not what can be solved by a coach or more years of practice. That sort of thing won't fly in a top league, and that's why I have him pegged as a Championship lifer. He has the physical conditions to even be a good one.

----
    ¹ Nantes's record with Miazga in defense was 1 win, 3 draws and 4 losses. After he was permanently benched, their record for the next eight games was 5 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. They kept doing well until both their starting CMs, Rongier (their captain) and Khrin went down injured.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    MM played 720' for Nantes (1/3 of his total minutes for the season). 8x90. I believe the next eight league games Nantes was 4-2-2. They were 5-2-6 with MM on the bench/not in the squad in the league overall.

Who knows if we will get a chance to test my hypothesis, but there's not a lot to Matt's career that suggests he's good enough to be a top-of-table "big 5" regular, nor that he's so poor he could *never* be a bottom 1/2 big 5 regular.

I do hope we get to see if my instinct is correct or not.

17. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I just think he lacks tactical awareness and I don't see him improving that much in that regard. The physical tools are all there.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I gotta figure he wasn't the only change among the starters.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the issues people seem to have with Matt certainly have something to with coaching/fit.

it's not as if he hasn't shined at times as well: led his team to a dutch cup as a young CB in Holland. Played very well against eventual world cup winners France in their send-off match(good enough to earn a move to france with a bucnh of french teams interested), solid player in championship helping his teams turn their seasons around, etc....

He may have lost a bit of steam toiling away at a lower level than he wants to. Let's not discount the psychological toll that being mired at a level below one's aspirations for multiple seasons can have on a player.

Nantes didn't work out, but that cannot be 100% due to Matt not being good enough for that level in the absolute...even if his play in those games seemed to indicate it was personal shortcomings that did him in there. his coach was a hothead with a history of clashing with players. how is that not relevant??

I've seen him perform at a very high level in the right situation....his form may have dipped in recent seasons...but I don't think anyone truly knows where his career is headed as a 24yr old CB. I expect him to surprise the naysayers in a good way.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP.

Halilhodzic is undoubtedly an effective coach - his record attests to that - but coaches with exceptionally confrontational styles entering a new dressing room at a failing club sometimes decide to make an example of someone to hang up a very visible "Under New Management" sign for all to see. On-loan players are often the ones chosen, as they can be sent back where they came from in the winter break - which was only 6 games away - while he's stuck with the permanents. Added to that, it wasn't as if Nantes were short of replacements: Matt was one of 9 CBs there at the time. With that many options, Halilhodzic could afford to ring the changes until he found a combination that worked.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Matt was one of 9 CBs there at the time. With that many options, Halilhodzic could afford to ring the changes until he found a combination that worked." - @The Irish Rover

Any discussion of Nantes CDs should also note that the pairing of vets Pallois and Girotto (32 and 28) has been the CD of choice from 17/18 thru this season. Each has at least 20 games per season in the past 3 season.

It does say something that MM did not supplant either vet, but Pallois is a seasoned "top 5" vet, joining Bourdeux in 2014. Girotto came from Brazil but has a bit of a journeyman history. One can legitimately ask questions about MM's inability to beat out Girotto, but he's performed pretty well for Nantes in his 3 seasons.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Robdog and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why again do folks feel both Ream and Long could hack it in the Premier League yet Miazga couldn't? Dude is younger than both and has an EU passport. He's gonna shock us all with a move to some La Liga side.

adam tash repped this.