Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. And Armstrong wouldnot have walked the moon without stealing Euro brains.

Bruce S repped this.
  2. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I never said Biden and Trump are the same. So to clear up my opinion, it is that both will fail to deal with climate change in any significant way and both will ultimately fail. Also under both administrations they will find ways to funnel taxpayer dollars to corporations like we did last week under corporate Republicans and the bailouts under corporate Democrats in 2008. So Trump failing or Biden failing doesn’t really matter to me as a potential voter. Had Sanders won, even though he was not my candidate, I would have been motivated to vote for him because I feel he could have inspired a movement that could have possibly curtailed climate change disasters ahead.

3. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I apologize for posting about politics here. I read your post after I posted another reply to statements above you. I don’t mind if you would like to delete my post on this thread.

y-lee-coyote and bungadiri repped this.
  4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I appreciate the cooperative response and the willingness to stop in mid argument/discussion (never easy to do, least of all on the Internet) . And this is a weird moment in history, so I'm not going to delete anything unless folks go buck wild.
    upload_2020-3-31_19-13-51.png

5. Define that:)
    I need some guidance to be able to test that:D

Winoman repped this.
  6. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    It's more that they steal it when Western business representatives go to China AND/OR they just take apart innovations and rebuild them ignoring patent laws. It's pretty corporate standard policy now that if you go to China on business all of your electronics either get a hard wipe or you take separate clean devices. Otherwise you are especially prone to having them hack you and steal IP.

EDIT: just saw the mod's post. I am saying this in an objective, non political way. It's pretty undeniable if you've been reading the news that we've been engaged with a trade war with China for most of the past decade.

jnielsen, Bruce S and Winoman repped this.
  7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picture a mass corona virus party with people attending in costume as the political candidate of their choice, plus a little Will Ferrell/Old School action thrown in.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think buck wild is like buck naked only you're not naked. Hope that helps. :ROFLMAO:

The Irish Rover repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7009 tomásbernal, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    That's an old, bullshit argument. Not supporting something (or, in this case, someone) doesn't mean you support another thing. It's twisted. I always cast a vote (so don't "if you don't vote then you can't complain" me) but I sure as shit didn't vote for Hillary or Trump. I've written in my candidate in 3 of the 4 presidential elections I've been eligible for. I've voted in each primary for a candidate on the ballot (in the Dem primary). Some might say that it's a throw-away vote. I don't. I can't, in good conscience, cast my vote, and support, for someone that is so overwhelmingly opposed to my worldview. I made a minor exception for Obama the second time, but I still am uncomfortable with that decision.

EDIT: And I'm even more hard-line now, particularly about environmental issues, because I think about the fact that my daughter, now 3 years old, will probably be telling her grandkids (if she lives that long and has children) stories about how much fun she had when her dad took her to the beach when she was a child. When beaches no longer exist. And polar bears are extinct. And there are hardly any birds anymore. And 200 days a year are over 90 degrees.

I don't really give a shit if Bernie, or any other radical thinker, can actually accomplish anything. The conversations need to be pushed hard, RIGHT NOW. Biden advocates more of the positive-but-all-too-slow incremental change. That won't cut it. The kids need a chance at more than "hey, it's 2100 and (some of us) are still alive!" levels.

jnielsen and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #7010 The Irish Rover, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    There's an old Irish saying: "he was an all-or-nothing man, which is why he wound up with nothing."

If you wrote-in for President, then you might as well have voted for the Green candidate (aka Putin's other shill). Which means you de facto voted for Trump. It's not your fault that it's a first-past-the-post electoral system that leaves you with a choice between Trump or Clinton-now-Biden, but that's the choice you have and it is your fault for not exercising it. If you're a vegetarian and the menu offers steak or fish, I can appreciate your revulsion, but that's all that's on offer.

If you think that Clinton then or Biden now versus Trump isn't already a meaningful enough choice, consider these data points; 1) the army's started shifting its body bag inventory to the states, 2) US government forces are now commandeering planeloads of face masks, destined for the Berlin Police that Germany had already bought and paid for, off runways in Thailand and redirecting them to America, so that Trump and his slumlord son-in-law can stage a drop-in-the-ocean photo-op. If you're a MAGA hat, that's great and let's send the Navy Seals to do it, but what if the Brits decide to send the SAS for their supplies? 3) take a look at this graph (from the FT) and come back in 10 days when the new infections for the red States with complete sociopath governors start kicking in

Glad you've got a daughter (nobody will love you as much, ever) and II'm even more glad that she's 3, because the next 12 years are gonna be wonderful (the 3-5 years between 15 and 18-20 will be tricky) . But the COVID-19 death rate among Europe's 40-year olds is about 4%, and we've got universal health care, so if you want to improve your chances of being around for her until she's able to fend for herself, the best thing to do is stop kvetching, don't nibble and eat the damned shit sandwich whole.

[​IMG]

Winoman and lmorin repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make good points, and other people around me have made the same points. I've also heard exactly the same argument from Democrats for decades. Then the Dems put up and strongly support another candidate that would be a center right (or sometimes solid right) party candidate anywhere else in the world. It's always the same shit sandwich at the restaurant, and if that's the only thing on the menu then I'll just cook at home.

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it also depends upon where you live. In NYC, my vote doesn’t matter so I feel free to vote my conscience - neither Hilary nor Trump.

it would be entirely different if I lived in a swing state.

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Everywhere is going to hell. Including this thread. The civil disobedience starts here and then spills into the streets.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fair enough, but then again the GOP is such a radical outlier in the world of the world's democratic conservative parties that it leaves such a vast amount of territory vacant. Nature abhors a vacuum, so the Dems move/get sucked in. What else?

Just two questions. Do you think that, ethically challenged as she is, President Hillary Clinton would have allowed the response to COVID-19 to be this many months late and this many trillions of dollars short? Does the planet in 30-40 years time matter more than 200k of your fellow-citizens' lives in the here and now (not to mention in the next pandemic)?

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Which is your right, but you need to understand, depending on what state you live in, you may be forcing the rest of us, your daughter included, to eat an e-coli shit sandwich.

Anyone who voted for Nader in FLA helped elect Bush. Anyone who voted for Stein/GaryStoned in PA, WI, or MI helped elect Trump.

That's just numbers.

nobody and Winoman repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so your vote doesn't matter at all

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not for President.

But, of course, there are tons of very important "down-ballot" races, bond measures, propositions, etc. that are very important and where my votes matters a ton because of smaller voting pool and less folks bothering to read that far.

In 2020, for instance, it won't matter if you or others in CA leave off your POTUS vote, but if you're in PA, WI, MI, AZ, perhaps FLA or Maine, it could possibly be important. But if you're in OC, Santa Clarita, North County SD, etc. your house vote, assembly vote, judges, school board etc. (often places where stuff that impacts your life gets decided much more often than the Feds, btw) could matter. Many of those races are super-close.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!! I grew up in NH at at time that its politics was dominated by truly backward Republicanism, a prelude to the current national party behavior. The only major election in the state that really counted was the Republican primary. I became a registered Republican just so I could vote in that party's primary, and to vote there for a candidate who could be defeated by a Democrat in the general election.

DHC1 repped this.
  19. Mmmm, so you're an election mole:cautious:

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think Hillary would have done a much, much, much better job responding to this pandemic, though I suspect the bailouts would look much the same as they currently do.
    Yes, as hard as it is to say, the future survival of humanity on this planet is more important than 200k of my fellow citizens this year. If I could take death in exchange for future generations' ability to thrive, I would do it. (Of course, while my death may come early at the hands of this virus it will in no way ensure the future of humanity)

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, had the Democratic Party not done everything in it's power to ensure Hillary won the nomination, by hook or by crook, we quite likely would never have had a President Trump to begin with.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Democratic Party members made the rules for their convention in 2016. Sanders was not then, and is not now a Democrat, even though he has run as a Democratic candidate. It's easy to see why he had no say in what the rules would be in 2016.

Even at that, they changed some of the rules for 2020 away from what they had been, and leveling the playing field more for Sanders. This year his numbers are way down compared to 2016, even before the Covid-19 business.

This country can't take another 4 years of Donald. It's headed right down the shitter with him at the helm. You won't have done your daughter any favors if you sit this one out on principles, and Cheeto Benito gets four more years.

nobody repped this.
  23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a necessity of FPTP.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanders doesn't beat Trump in 2016.

25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every poll that I ever saw showed Sanders winning, while the same polls at the same time showed Hillary dead even.