Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Fact ... Hitler had a soft spot for the history of the "Viking Danes" and did not really want to invade Denmark, in fact, while Hitler was demanding to get every tiny scrap of land that Germany had lost after WW1 and in the past, Hitler as the only exception, never demanded the return of Northern Schleswig (Sønderjylland) that Germany had lost to Denmark after WW1.

So the invasion of Denmark mainly had the one purpose to be able to reach and invade Norway as fast as possible before England could do anything about it... and secondly, as you also mentioned, to get better access to the import of food from Denmark and for the German propaganda being able to refer to Denmark as the "model protectorate" also earning the nickname 'the Cream/Butter Front' , due to the relative ease of the occupation and the loads of dairy products.

So Hitler had the intention of keeping the peace and no intention of disturbing the political independence of Denmark and Denmark kept it's government and so the nazi's even agreed to a Danish demand to keep their hands off the Danish Jews, so unlike in the rest of occupied Europe and in Germany itself, Jews in Denmark never wore an identification mark such as the 'yellow star' and when Hitler finally grew tired of the uncooperative Danish government and demanded the arrest and deportation of the Danish Jews in late 1943, the German SS general and Reich Plenipotentiary (commander) of Denmark, Werner Best and his right-hand man, the German naval attaché and diplomat Georg Ferdinand Duckwitz (who himself had sheltered three Jewish women in his apartment in Germany) took matters in their own hands, to ensure that the Danish Government was warned before the roundup was suppose to be carried out, to make sure that also the Jews and Danish resistance were warned, so the Jews could escape.

So only 580 (or around 8%) of the Danish Jews failed to escape to Sweden of which 464 were captured by the Germans and sent to the Theresienstadt Ghetto and concentration camp, only allowed to bring two blankets, a small suitcase and food for 3 or 4 days, but even then, representatives from the danish government managed to persuade the Germans to accept packages of food and medicine to be sent to the Danish prisoners, furthermore, Denmark also persuaded the Germans not to deport any Danish Jews to extermination camps. This was achieved through Danish political pressure, also using the Danish Red Cross to frequently monitor the condition of the Danish Jews at Theresienstadt.

So in February 1944, the German SS embarked on a "beautification" campaign to prepare the ghetto for the visit from the Red Cross and a delegation from the Danish government. Many "prominent" prisoners and the Danish Jews were re-housed in private, superior quarters. The streets were renamed and cleaned; sham shops and a school were set up and the SS also encouraged the prisoners to perform an increasing number of cultural activities. Still, a total of 51 mainly elderly Danish Jews got sick and died of disease at Theresienstadt, but this is how and why more than 99% of Denmark's Jewish population survived the Holocaust.

jnielsen, Sandon Mibut, beamish and 7 others repped this.
  2. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Godwin's Law in action.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My post was a reply to another post, and the discussion that gave rise to it, that was referencing how and why countries rescued their Jews. Or didn't. It's not as if there's any football happening in Europe. Anywhere.*

Relax.

* Edit:
    The Belarus Premier League is still operational. Anyone know of Yanks Abroad there?

Winoman repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    don't forget to mention the Frikorps, a few thousand Danes who fought for Hitler against Russia on the Eastern Front

seriously how is ole Matt?

Winoman repped this.
  5. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I did not mean it in the fallacy sense, just that we eventually devolved a discussion of coronavirus-->questions of freedom (what do individuals owe society? what does society owe individuals?)--->WWII

You know, the longer an internet discussion goes on the more likely Hitler gets brought up. That was it.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's what you get when I'm around... for better or worse it is kind of the defining era for my European-based family experience.

As to Matt, he rarely tweets, which is the easiest way for me to check up on him, so that retweet of Sean Davis a few days ago is the most recent sighting I've had. Seems he's probably laying low like any sane person who has that luxury.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'll probably be at home and following a home fitness regime devised by the Chelsea medical team and delivered & monitored by video. Right now, the focus will be on staying fit enough to start training just in case the season restarts in April or, (only a bit) more likely, May. A decision will be made in the next month or so, but nobody is very optimistic that it'll be possible, even with games played behind closed doors. If the rest of the season is cancelled*, it'll switch to staying in shape generally so that he can start a normal pre-season at a relatively normal time.

* It looks like the leagues are zeroing in on either a) playing out the remainder of the season behind closed doors to finish by July 31st, using currently-registered youth and U-23s to replace guys whose agreements expire on June 30th, or b) cancelling the season altogether, with no relegations and only the top two from the relevant league below being promoted. Extra relegations over the following season or two will be used to return to the status quo ante.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

"Cancelling the season altogether" was a mistake. It should have been "terminating the season at March 8th". That means that Liverpool will be champions with City as runners-up, and Leicester 3rd place due to their 5-point lead over the teams scrapping for 4th, That place has 3 teams within 3 points of each other (assuming Sheffield United would have won their game ion hand) or 4 within 6 points if Wolves are included. That'll likely go playoffs, probably one-legged..

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll be able to finish ASAP in May/June. Gonna be tough... I think the Euros have been moved, but as I understand it the real issue is contracts that are up on July 1.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's a major issue. Many players won't extend, no matter what the inducements (who wants to extend by 4 weeks and do your ACL when you've got another offer already in place. But it's completely hypothetical at this stage. Social isolation, aka lockdown for entire cities, may be lifted in June - if they're lucky - but nobody really believes that social distancing will stop before the autumn. That means no stadium events and no games

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to take several weeks, if ever, for the results of social isolation to be made clear. I'm in San Francisco and have been working from home for 3? weeks now, going out only to the grocery story and for the occasional run. But every time I'm out I see people clustered together at bus stops, the few food spots that are open, etc. Only in the last handful of days have grocery stores metered customers and limited interaction amongst people. For every day we ALL don't truly isolate, cases will increase. Lots of people frankly don't give a s*** so we'll never have 100% participation and that small % will cause this to fester for months, probably until the next wave at the end of this year.

I'm hopeful like everyone else that therapy or even a vaccine will come out sooner rather than later and even if there are games in empty stadiums, it's better than nothing. Extraordinary circumstances will be put in place both to ensure the safety of the games (which let's all be honest is impossible) and contract resolutions of the players. For once, perhaps, the owners will end up on the hook for a lot of this.

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  12. I dunno. It's not wise not to extend and be uninsured and without income in these circumstances.

Winoman repped this.
  13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may never know the reality, except by comparison with results obtained from modelling methods which involve a number of assumptions that may or may not be correct. If the social distancing works and the curve is indeed sufficiently flattened, there should not be any hospital crowding fiasco caused by limited beds and resources. Of course, if the efforts succeed, there will be all sorts of people claiming we never needed to do them in the first place and the problem would have gone away without us needing to buy more than one roll of TP.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "It doesn't matter what you do or what you propose, 25% of the population will oppose it."
    Robert Kenny (attributed)

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You know what pisses me off? We may be taken out not by smallpox or the plague or some horrible hemorrhagic fever, no. We may be taken out by a virus that is basically a glorified common cold, one that kills.

Talk about going out with a whimper.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    WTF? For all it’s terribleness, we will adapt to COVID-19. A vaccine will be developed and generally immunity will be established over time.

this is not a end-of-the-world pandemic and I say that not to minimize how bad it is (it’s impact will be terrible both in terms of lives lost and economic impact) but to point out that histrionics like this aren’t helpful.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Black Death killed at not less than 30% of Europe's population - in some countries over 50% - in about five years. That was the Champions' League of pandemics. This thing isn't even the Conference

russ, LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  18. The GOP is trying to get it promoted and relegate the plague.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Report from isolation...
    We have stuck in a large supply of rations, although the mail-order duck has not yet arrived so we are making due with frozen-chicken in the tagine, and using fresh lemon peel off the tree as the preserved lemons gave out long ago. Yet we soldier on.
    Pils is yet in good supply, as alcohol remains an essential service, but we may need to go foraging for more Springbank anon.
    We are in direst need of more footie. We are so deprived on that front that we have taken to observing The English Game. While the footie rations therein were poor, weak and tasteless, the womenfolk were kept amused, and that is not nothing in this long campaign.
    Hope you and yours are safe. We aim to survive this deprivation and meet once again on the field of Eton.
    Yours in quarantine,
    freisland

jnielsen, russ, matabala and 7 others repped this.
  20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that, and the fact that we have best biomedical infrastructure in the world. Greatly aided, I might add by huge numbers of brilliant Chinese scientists who come to the USA and stay. We get the cream of the crop of Chinese biomedical scientists in the USA and I wish everyone not in this world understand how blessed we are to have them wanting to work and live here as Americans. I have 4 Chinese scientists in my group and they are all very good. ALL want to become Americans!

russ, Sandon Mibut, nobody and 4 others repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Do they support the USMNT?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I havent asked. Most probably they don’t care about football at all!

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Unless they're gamblers. Betting on sports is mega in China

24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Well and good...there are also less huge but still brilliant Chinese scientists who are happy to take their learning (and secrets) back to the Mother Land. Trust but verify

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    There may be one or two cases like that but I have to tell you, it is mostly not true. This isn't like stealing an atomic bomb secret.

tomásbernal and nobody repped this.