Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is a lot of space between those groups, through. Miazga is 24. I know, he's got a lot of career left, and should just be getting ready to find his peak, but Stones' £52m move came when he was 21. By 24. Smalling was a regular starter with ManU who finished in the CL places. Mawson, I assume, was included as the one of these things ain't like the others, but he had close to 60 Prem starts by the time he was hitting Miazga's age in the Prem's lower reaches.
    I actually think Ream might be the closest example to him. A very solid Championship career, with a decent shot at the prem when his club was promoted. He was fine, but wasn't catching eyes enough that there was any attempt to snatch him away when his side went back down.
    Right now, Reading has a very young and quite talented roster. they could turn into a side that might challenge for auto in a couple years. They might collapse, as well, but I do think that at this time, he is at his level. Nothing wrong with that level, As noted, it pays well. i do think that he's probably better off getting sold away from Chelsea, as they clearly don't have him in their plans, and he's reaching the age when he really could use a plan.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that EU passport helps a lot

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are lower leagues in England going to suspend play?

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The answer is yes, I'm afraid. Reading's next three games in the Championship have been postponed.

LouisianaViking07/09 and russ repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    russ and Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there's always a much lower league exception:

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much of a bump lower league attendances will see

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    'cause everyone wants to seek out the virus. You serious? I'll guess zero.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The English really live by that Keep Calm and Carry On motto. If there are matches to attend, a lot of people will go.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, Boris Johnson and his medical advisors were on TV last night saying crowded events really aren't a big deal. They have not advised against or banned public gatherings or school closures. People that trust and believe them may not stay away.

England is going for the herd immunity approach. We'll see how it works out.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    These die-hard fans may serve as a useful 'control group,' one that provides decision-makers around the world with useful data.

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bold move Cotton...

tomásbernal and ebbro repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I c wut u did thurrr....

jnielsen repped this.
  14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. I think everyone is looking for escape and a feeling of normalcy, which your local team would provide. I've been WFH this week and now have mandatory WFH for the next two weeks-- at least-- and I'm going a bit stir crazy already. I'd happily seek out a quaint sporting event if any were being held near me.

Plus, as has already been evidenced, while a person is smart, people are dumb as bricks

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6815 The Irish Rover, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    There are only two differences between Boris Johnson and Donald Trump: Johnson can read (and write, pretty well too) and he can think. Otherwise it's the same malignant narcissism all the way, including the irresponsibility and the senseless risk-taking. This is just one more example.

This virus is really, really serious and while social isolation (that's what shutting everything that generates a crowd down is) will only slow, but not stop its spread, that slower rate of transmission prevents the health service being completely swamped and reduces the death rate. They call it "squashing the sombrero".

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Absent divine providence, badly. Very badly. Herd immunity doesn't work for a highly infectious new disease that there's no vaccine for and there's going to be no time for people to develop antibodies against it.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know there are soccer fans, the soccer fanatics and the soccer junkies.....

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    miazgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa damn bad timing

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is what is Jonathan Spector's mom doing preceding and during all of this and what objective is her son currently trying to achieve that might involve a global pandemic... :alien:

And now that I think about it there have been a rash of injuries to American players since Spector retried recently... :alien::alien:

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To my point:

jnielsen repped this.
  21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On Spector, and Reading, and the lack of any football, an extended Reading highlight popped up on youtube, half an hour from their first prem season (in 135 year history). It features YAs Spector for west ham, and big ol cool Marcus. , though it was a home game so no, he didn't have to fix the team bus. It features a cameo shot of West Ham's Tevez, who is bureid deep on the bench and wasn't getting any looks despite being one of the better strikers in England at the time. It features one of the great warning labels of all time behind the goal: Be aware of flying footballs. It features quite a bit of a young Kevin Doyle, perhaps of interest to Colorado Rapids fans who got to see a lot of the old version of him Anyway, in the football desert, Reading v West Ham, 30 minutes of pure joy, for me.

jnielsen and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    some good news

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why?

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    for that club

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Because 3,078 new entrants for the 2020 Darwin Awards is a good thing?

It's a bit of a stretch, I know, but I'm hoping @LouisianaViking07/09 was being ironic there and us oldies just didn't get this example of Gen-Z humour. That, or he's embraced his inner Sheriff David Clarke and is turning full MAGA as we speak.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.