Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Miazga's back and better than ever! Okay, but at least he's back and played the full game, a great sign.

Reading 2-0 Barnsley

Barnsley is 23rd of 24 and likely to be relegated, but they had just won three in a row. Reading is 16th, and should be safe from relegation, but they had just lost two in a row and three of four, so Miazga's return helped stop the bleeding.

Let's hope Miazga stays healthy and gets enough playing time the rest of the season to showcase his talents. Onward and upward!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looks like their captain Moore is stil "injured."

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll take back-to-back starts as an encouraging sign! From the BBC game preview - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51707629

"Reading boss Bowen will assess the fitness of defenders Liam Moore and Matt Miazga.

Royals captain Moore missed the 2-0 weekend win over Barnsley because of illness, while on-loan Chelsea man Miazga played 90 minutes after returning from six weeks out with an ankle injury."

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga's return is pretty surprising to me... I watched the game he was injured in and I thought he may be lost for the year. Big ups.... I will try and catch this on replay tonight.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Went the entire 120'+ in a disappointing 1-2 loss.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Reading manager Mark Bowen (right) and Matt Miazga appear dejected after the FA Cup fifth round match at the Madejski Stadium, Reading​

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad that he's back playing finally!

LouisianaViking07/09 and jnielsen repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Miazga was pretty solid throughout those 120 minutes. Well, through 119 of those minutes. The opening goal was weirdly easy for Sheffield, and I'm not sure what to make of it. As I was watching, I was thinking, Miazga pulled a step too far in front of the front post, moving Morrison a step too far over from center to stick to their front post attacker, and then Obita didn't step up to cover their man in the center. The cross was on a dime and he was wide open between Morrison and Obita and scored quite easily. I'm not sure how much of the blame for that is one MM, but a bit of it would be. I mean, Reading had, IIRC, five defenders in the box and SU had two attackers and somehow one of them was wide-fing open. I think he stepped forward too quickly, but the Obita and Morrison are more to blame, I'd think. That said, SU is really well organized and they've been causing problems for everyone this season and they didn't really for Reading, except for in the first and last minutes of the match. During the intervening like 104, Miazga was really strong.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scores, too:

sakibomb523, ChicagoVT, KenC and 5 others repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glutton4Bolts, ChicagoVT, KenC and 9 others repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i wanna see him in a top division in the Fall

adam tash and ChicagoVT repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't we all, but the $$$ are in England and Chelsea will want - some - returns on their investment. Added to which, Matt's spell in a Top 5 league (Ligue 1) wasn't an outstanding success. Odds are, it'll be another Championship loan.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At this point I think the odds are leaning towards Reading buying him on the cheap.It's really weird to loan a player to the same club for two full years without a purchase agreement, and Reading don't have much money to spend.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's really making it hard for Bowen to find an excuse to bench him again.

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    wow that's a sweet strike

Why was he playing so advanced? I know he's played some striker in late game desperation moments with his prior clubs

y-lee-coyote and freisland repped this.
  18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It was likely associated with a set piece situation. Probably a ball being recycled in on a second opportunity.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was, and he kind of had a goal and an assist at that point, though the assist was headed back to his own keeper when Birmingham slipped in and took it. He also, i think, blocked one off the goal line. That may have been skied without his presence though. still, he was there.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe not.

His general record is that of a high-grade CB at this level. He's been thoroughly scouted by now. You're unquestionably better informed than me, but I'd be surprised if on of the potential promotion-challengers doesn't at least make approaches in the off-season.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For his career, I would hope so. But that's his on loan manager praising him there. Remember, he was just as good a year ago with Reading and there were no bidders. I think the description, as a high end championship CB is a bit flattering, as that would suggest top five in the league. Is he? I think if Reading were going up (they really, really are not) he'd be worth keeping on. But for now, maybe he's found his level. As for promoted sides: Is he of interest to Leeds? West Brom? Seems they'd have better back lines and better targets. FTR, two goals since early Oct is quite great from a CB, but it isn't catch the attention of one and all. Fans at Reading like him, but there isn't a gotta have one of those buzz around him league wide, or England wide, or Europe wide.
    I have no inside info on that, but Chelsea just loaned him out to the same club for two full years, and it is a club that is far from flush with cash. That's kind of an odd move, for both clubs. Maybe Chelsea had something better fall through, and Reading were, as always these days, desparate.

23. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Yeah CB in England are weird. Some seem to just fit the level as top 6 Championship level CB's (i.e.: Ream, Tomas Kalas) but then you have a bunch that see meteoric rises (Alfie Mawson, Chris Smalling, Jon Stones). I expect Miazga is somewhere in between the two. He would have been so much better in England just 5 years ago.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Championship has more money than most continental leagues anyway. Matt is the type that goes forward often and can help score, not only during set pieces. On the other hand, his work as CB showed enough holes during his time in France that I doubt any team that could afford to take him away from the Championship would be interested.

He can be a Championship lifer, though, like so many other YAs.

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Average pay in the Championship is about 600k sterling a year. There are worse fates in life.