Matt Loughlin, the latest hockey guy to take on soccer

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Roehl Sybing, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

First Metros telecast I've seen him do pbp, and if that's the case I think he did pretty well with Shep. I would think others would get to like him, he doesn't seem as much a homer as the other pbp guys we've come across. Calls it nice and simple, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    I think he did ok,i missed the first 5 mins of the game and thought one of the guys from FSC was calling the game (not saying he sucks like them but his voice sounds like one of them atleast)

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Are you catching any J-League matches in Yokohama? I saw the F-Marinos won the play-off last year, but were average in the 2nd half & so far this year. You could probably help with the grammar on the English part of their webpage:

By showing Soccer game that pursues that wins, Give a dream to people, shared deep impressionm, Aiming the top of the World.
    Make the situation every one can do sports, Make the club that all the members will be proud of.
    Aim to make the club that is independent, supported by everybody and continued the activity in long time.

4. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Agree wholeheartedly. Maybe because I am always expecting an "outsider" to be condescending and/or unprepared. Appears Matt gave the Metros their money's worth: he did his homework and displayed a good level of interest.

=NLK=

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Take a walk around Tokyo for half an hour, the fake English around here will make you laugh or cry, depending on your feelings about the English language.

J-League, honestly, is not as exciting as people around here say it is. It's not bad soccer, mind you. I really don't know what the Galaxy were doing losing to Yokohama. Yes, I watch them on TV. But usually I'm doing something else at the same time.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I thought Matt did a good job. He referred to Herculez Gomez as Herculez Gonzalez a couple of times, but it's not like I knew who he was either. I liked the way he called the game. Simple and to the point. Then you'd have Shep jump in with his normal "Woww" and "I'm lovin' it, $1.29 double cheesburger."

Now I just can't stand Ives, though. He made this argument about how disappointed he was in the MLS All-Star game. He thought we should play a bigger team like AC Milan or Chelsea instead of Fulham. Well, Ives. Don't you think we're playing Fulham in Columbus because McBride is on the team. He is the best player in their franchise's history after all. It'll be almost like a testimonial in a way. He just came across to me as a big pompous idiot. Yeah, we'll bring AC Milan to Cowlumbus.

7. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    No one gives a crap about Fulham, Mcbride or not. Not even Columbus residents. Thats why the game is 3 weeks away and they still havent even sold 1/2 of the stadium.

You bring in a Chelsea or Milan and that game, if still meaningless, gets you 10x as much coverage and more people will make the trip to see it.

Sorry but I agree with Ives. And to tell you the truth, A pure "NcBride testimonial" match would do better than this.

8. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    I thought this guy matt was terrible. He talked waaay too much during the game. Every comment he made about the game were general sporting comments, holding a lead late,etc,etc. He also must have asked Shep about 10 questions during the first 5 minutes of the game which Shep then needs to answer with a long winded response. I just hope this was a stop-gap move and not the new broadcast team.

9. anamorican

anamorican New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    He kept on saying Matt (or Mike) Hartman instead of Kevin Hartman.

10. davemark44

davemark44 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Springfield, NJ
    I wonder why they can't get Joe Tolleson (sp?) to back up for JP? He's based in NY, he used to cover the Metros in their first few years, and I've heard good things about his work on CL matches.

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.engrish.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I loved how excited he got about the "goaltenders" from UCLA.

13. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    let's cut the guy some slack, i think he did really good for his first broadcast i haven't heard of him before as far as doing soccer games , but like people have been saying before in his post, looks like he did his homework and deserves some cred, but i do believe we should bring back joe tolleson

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Like the RSL radio announcer kept calling Chris Leitch, "Brian Leetch" ;)

Other than that I thought Loughlin did a very good job. He probably thought that if he does the same thing for hockey, it can work in soccer. No problems at all and he got excited at the right time. He did his homework, or he is a closet Soccer fan.

Other than that. I thought he did a good job.

15. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i second the motion: Bring Back Tolly!

16. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did a pretty good job, he obviously wasn't very familiar with the players name, at least the Galaxy players but i'll let him slide since it was likely his first soccer game