Matt Doyle’s Tastes-Like-Crow quote?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by skydog, Apr 21, 2024.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thought I would put this Doyle quote on blast so it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle later. I’m predicting, and hoping, it doesn't age well:

“The Galaxy are still the Galaxy though: fun in a lot of ways, but so vulnerable in the air in general and on set pieces in particular that it’s impossible to take them seriously as any kind of contenders.”

Matthew Doyle @MattDoyle76
    4/21/24

2. Ahan Jain

Ahan Jain Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Nov 16, 2016
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Doyle wrong about something? What else is knew. He goes 40 for 20 on MLS predictions every year.

But dont mention his talent ID...

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’ll happily eat crow too, but I agree.

Vindo310, Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Barring injury to key players, you will indeed be eating crow. Right now the Galaxy and Miami are the two best teams in MLS, and that’s true even with our crappy defense. Our offense is that good.

We may not win it all but to say we aren’t contenders is flat out wrong. IMO.

Berks, The Cadaver and ProudNatRN repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about "defense" is true, but we've shown an ability to just bang in goals almost at will. Nobody has shut us out yet this season (knock on wood). We're about to get some important pieces on our defense and its still a long season.

Geneva repped this.
  6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to get tooo mad at that quote.

But I'm optimistic the numbers will improve. We have some central defense help coming. Some of these goals are a tad unlucky. Even yesterday, we conceded a pk, a freak deflection set piece and yes in the run of play (first one in the run of play for a while) when our converted defensive midfielder playing right back made a mistake.

All three not really indicative of the overall quality of the team.

Bilgediver repped this.
  7. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I do not expect Zavaleta to be our primary sub once Neal comes back and Garces is ready to go.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I guess it depends what is meant by contender. If it’s a low bar, like making the playoffs then I agree we are in contention, if it’s contending for MLS Cup then I don’t think we are.

The team has had a very, very good start to the season when you look at the table, but If you scratch the surface a little it’s not quite as rosy a picture. LA’s record stands at 5-3-1. Of the five wins, two have come against a dire San Jose team (and we were fortunate last night). One came against a very poor Seattle missing some key players. One against a SKC that was already well known for letting leads slip and has only further cemented that reputation. Only the Vancouver win was against a decent team (but they too have had a fortunate schedule). LA’s three draws were against second-to-last Nashville, a mediocre St. Louis City and Miami/Messi – who also aren’t very good and relying on raw talent to get results IMO.

Scratch a littler deeper and it gets even less rosy. In the Vancouver, Seattle, St. Louis and LAFC games LA was the beneficiary of some woeful finishing, by the opposition – and that’s definitely part of the game, but LA rode their luck hard and eventually that luck is going to run out. There’s a couple of inches between LA being 5-3-1 and 3-5-1 or 2-5-2.

I’m pleased as punch watching this team, it’s light years from the past couple of seasons, they’re fun and you can see there’s potential there, but there’s tactical naivety, game management issues, concentration issues, defensive issue, limited bench depth. I’m not ready to say we’re contenders until we face off against some credible opponents. It’s also important to note, there are teams currently languishing that will improve significantly over the summer that we can’t match. Seattle will get better, LAFC will get better. The days of flukey runs to MLS Cup are long gone and our “blood and guts” approach will only take us so far.

ProudNatRN, Geneva, Dawdler and 2 others repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok, let's put it this way - where do you predict we will finish the regular season? Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I define a contender as a team that has one of the top 4 or 5 records in the league. So if you were offered a million dollars if you exactly predict our league-wide finish what # would you pick?

I'll go first - I predict we will finish ......could easily be anywhere from 1st to 5th... so I pick 2nd.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  10. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who are your top contenders currently?

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Combined table I think 7th, but based on insufficient evidence. The month of May will be illuminating. Seattle, Minnesota, RSL, Charlotte, Houston and Dallas. Three at home, three away. If we get 10 points from those six matches I’d up that to 5th.

Under Vanney (and even prior) we have faded badly as the season draws to a close. Until there’s evidence to the contrary I assume that’s part of Vanney’s deficiencies as a manager.

Dawdler, skydog, Beirut and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    In no particular order: LAFC, Minnesota, RSL, Columbus, Philly and I would hesitate to bet against Messi - even though I think they fall in to the same category as us.

Dawdler, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think typical of any fan's reactions that swing high and low, we aren't quite as good as our wins might indicate and we aren't quite as bad as our loss (and goals against) might indicate. The West is in a period of transition and there don't appear to be any dominating teams and I think if we can get the defense figured out, and we have 2 young, athletic defensive players about to join up with the team, then we can hang with any other MLS team. Which means it will come down to being healthy and in a good run of form when the playoffs start.

Berks, Geneva, Dawdler and 5 others repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this - you can only play the team across from you - and before the season started, everyone was saying that we had a tough schedule. And now it seems like that schedule wasn't as hard as we expected, but part of that is because we beat all those teams and their being so low in the standings is in part due to us beating them. So again we shouldn't be too high or too low on the team, other than recognizing that we have 3X as many points as did at this point last season. So we are definitely a much better team than last year.

Berks, JPAR, 73Bruin and 5 others repped this.
  15. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the fact that so much of it has happened on the road, and our road record so far...

73Bruin, hav77 and skydog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We have more road wins already than all of last season. :eek:

Berks, JPAR, Bilgediver and 3 others repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok Trick, Bilge, hav77, mbar, Jain and others- LAA and I put our asses on the line with our predictions. What place (no ranges allowed) would you guess for our league-wide finish?*

* It’s understood that injuries, acquisitions, etc. make this a way too early wild guess. It’s an “if you HAD to guess” exercise.

TrickHog, hav77 and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I am also bringing this season’s Tottenham experience with me that’s impacting my viewpoint as there are some similarities between both club’s offseason/early season.

Major rebuild in the offseason, no one expected the team to do well, came out of the gates hot with an exciting, attack minded approach that was easy on the eyes and a “never say die” attitude that grabbed points from losing positions. Injuries and opponents adapting have seen a regression, but the understanding is it’s year one of a rebuild under a new manager. Spurs are unquestionably better than last season, just as Galaxy are, but not as good as the first quarter of the season implied.

I have patience for Ange’s project. I have less patience for Greg’s.

Different take. A better manager with this same group of players and I’d up my end of year assessment to 4th.

19. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honestly....I'm going to say SS. Pec seems like he's still getting use to the league and should only keep improving along with the team once they have familiarity together. For a bit there, it seems teams figured out how to stop the Galaxy with the high press and also nullifying Paintsil. However, it seems the team has found a counter to it.

There is also Neal coming back and should be better than last season. There is also Garces comong onboard as well. If both work out, they'd help improve the defense which has been the main deficiency so far this season. Lastly, I think the Galaxy still has a full DP spot left for the summer transfer window.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.... if I had to put money down I'd say we finish 4 overall and 2nd in the West. And if we finish healthy I'll predict that NO ONE wants to play us in the playoffs.

(Garces and a TAM forward in the summer both turning out to be studs could move that finish higher)

ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get some some of the skepticism. I would say that the Western Conference is a little soft by historic standards. The teams you'd expect to be good are mediocre (Seattle, LAFC) and the newcomers who hit the ground well in the past are having a sophomore slump (Austin, St. Louis). So it's hard to know who's "real" so far this season. You expect Seattle and LAFC to bounce back at some point, but I also see no reason we should fall off a cliff.

Realistically, how many western conference teams do you have beating us at home in a playoff right now?

ProudNatRN, Berks, Baysider and 4 others repped this.
  22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A backup forward who is more of a threat than Berry would go a long way in solidifying the team overall. Someone similar to Chris Pontius would make such a big difference.

skydog, 73Bruin, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate specifying a definitive position. I say we threaten the SS but we finish 3rd overall and 1st or 2nd in the West. Our set piece defending is still too abysmal on the long run but in terms of playoff chances, our ability to score in bunches and score on anyone so far means I think we at least make the conference championship.

I also think Vanney uses Garces in ways he maybe didn't original plan, such as in a 3 back setup, as a fullback or a CDM.

skydog, TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    If the Galaxy was to be put along whomever makes the playoff right now? I am with Doyle. We are not ready right now.

Way too early to go into predictions. Teams that were traditionally solid are having serious issues as MP9 mentions. Seattle, the Goats, Timbers, KFC. Then St.Louis could find their way back into form as would Houston who are getting HH back. Maybe RSL with Chicho who is on fire right now or maybe Wolffy with Austin. Vancouver may reinforce in the summer window as well as others. Injuries, Vanney!

Too many variables.

download-11.jpg

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I would think that first or second in the West is a reasonable expectation. I don't think that the Galaxy are going to be able add more than a TAM free agent in the summer transfer window unless there is an additional as yet unannounced rule change. They have the full complement of 3 DPs in Paintsil, Pec and Puig and 3 U22 players in Aude, Garces and Joveljic.

skydog, hav77 and MPNumber9 repped this.