Matko Miljevic at Argentinos Juniors

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Argentina gets 5 teams to qualify directly to the group stage and 1 goes to playoffs for 2 previous rounds. Mexican teams don't play this Cup anymore, it's only for all the teams from South America.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair. But I know Liga MX teams use to play in the tournament. How did they fare against Argentinean teams?

3. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    They were pretty evenly matched games. I always thought of teams from that league to be very complicated, despite the southamerican thing of "mexican teams suck".

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    lapelotaenlacabeza.com/2019/07/12/los-mexicanos-no-se-animan-a-venir-a-sudamerica/

Here's a summary of how mexican teams did against south american teams during the time they played both Cups.

5. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Independiente- Argentinos Juniors got moved to Saturday at 11am PST I'm not sure if Miljevic will start because there's a saying in spanish that says "if your team won, you don't make any changes" (equipo que gana, no se toca). I do hope he comes in, because they need somebody who can assist the forwards.

Independiente is a very good team at home and one of the Big 5, so it will be a crucial game to see if they can go for the title or not.

6. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    I need to make correction: 11:30AM on Saturday.

USSoccerNova and Thundering165 repped this.
  7. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    [​IMG]

Miljevic won't be playing tomorrow, I'm assuming an injury.

On a very sad note, Gabriel Hauche's aunt was killed this week when they were trying to steal from her. A 15 year- old. Unfortunately young punks don't get tried as adults, so they get arrested and then released.

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  8. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Argentinos Juniors won with 5 minutes left 1-0!!!!

Tied for 1st place with Boca. It's gonna be nerve wrecking from here, 13 games left and the difference in points between 1st and 10th is only 7 points. Later today, Talleres- Lanús play, both of them only 5 points away (they have to tie).

9. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    This weekend there won't be any games because on Sunday they're voting for President. Argentinos Juniors has a tough game at home against Talleres de Córdoba, Wednesday at 11AM PST

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  10. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Here's a speculative theory: Argentina has a new President and he's a fan of Argentinos Juniors. The conspiracy theorists now are saying that the team is 1st because of that, but when I tell them that against Arsenal they were down 0-1 in the 7th minute of the game with a huge offside, nobody says anything...

Gacm32, UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Argentinos 1- Talleres 0, FIRST PLACE!!!

They played very bad the Second Half, Talleres hit a shot on the post but luck is on their side lol. Miljevic played the last 6 minutes, unfortunately the coach doesn't understand they need to play a little better... next game is on the road against Defensa y Justicia on Monday at 3PM PST, a team who last tournament finished 2nd, started bad but they started adding points. Another difficult game...

13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Started and played 68' in a 0 - 0 draw with Defensa y Justicia.

14. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    They played a very bad game, should've lost which also gives me hope that if they played this bad and still got a point, I can be optimistic.

Next game is a very special one: in 1981, Argentinos and San Lorenzo played a final game of the season. With a tie, San Lorenzo would stay in 1st Division. They were awarded a penalty and the goalkeeper saved it. Then Argentinos was awarded a penalty and they scored, Argentinos won 1-0 and San Lorenzo became the 1st of "The Big 5" to be relegated. Since then, it's always been a special game. In 2010, Argentinos Juniors was in 1st place and were losing 1-0, the fans of San Lorenzo celebrating but... Argentinos beat them 2-1 with a goal in the 88th minute (the following game, they were losing to Independiente 3-1 and won 4-3 with two goals in the last 5 minutes of the game. Sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive lol)

Argentinos has also eliminated them from the Copa Sudamericana on the road and recently from a new domestic Cup, also on the road. San Lorenzo is now going through a crisis and will have a new coach, so it will be a complicated game. The game is this Saturday at 12:45PM PST

Currently tied in 1st place with Lanús, one point over River Plate and Boca Juniors.

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    @Chaliaaaj appreciate your contributions brother!

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So, does Tab try to bring him to Houston?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know something?

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Oof I hope not. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. The Dynamo are probably the worst run franchise in the league. Bottom 5 for sure.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nah. If I did, I wouldn't be cute about it -- I'd either say it, or not say anything, depending on the situation. Just doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility if Ramos has a good relationship with the player and the team is looking to reload.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i mean right there in the post was the fact they have someone new running things

21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Thanks. I keep up with the team and go to 5 - 10 games a year. I stand by what I said before.

dougtee repped this.
  22. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Thanks! It happens to be that I was born in the US and I'm a fan of Argentinos Juniors, having become a fan without any "outside influence". Miljevic is the 2nd US born player playing for the team.

23. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    [​IMG]

The standings currently. If teams tie in points for 1st place, they play a Final game. Goal differential is important as a tie-breaker to qualify for the Copa Libertadores or Sudamericana.

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was the first?

25. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Renato Corsi, I also interviewed him. He won the Copa Libertadores with Argentinos Juniors in 1985.

VBCity72, Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.