Mathis: Where to next?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Deuteriumoxide, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State

yea, big deal. He'll spend four days in camp and outplay the people ahead of him. It's too bad he could not get out of MLS right after WC.

The reason is he does not have respect for MLS anymore. It is so obvious that he sees his talent as beyond what he has to work with on any MLS team. You could see it in his first games back in Metro. I remember so vividly an instant in a televised game where he was playing full speed and was ready to make a great pass that would have opened up a scoring chance. In the next split second he realized that his teammate (don't remember who) was so far out of position and so clueless as to what Clint was planning, that Clint just dumped it off in disgust.

Whether he ever recovers that form is a very good question. I think he'd do best to pick up a middling French 1st Division team and work his way up again. I admire French soccer and think it would be a challenge to him. While the other places might look better, I think France would suit him and a mid table French team might be willing and able to pay a decent salary.

2. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    culturally, i'm having a hard time visualizing this- good luck finding a reliable source of bud on tap.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Mathis set for English talks
    Skysports.com can reveal that USA star Clint Mathis is heading to England in the next month to open talks with at least four Premiership clubs.
    The 26-year-old forward has been with the New York/New Jersey Metrostars for the past three seasons and has emerged as one of the best players in America.

Mathis, though, is now out-of-contract with The MLS and is free to talk terms with other clubs, and the interest from England is intense.

The player's English agent David Baldwin has confirmed that Mathis is ready to open talks with a host of clubs, but one particular Premiership outfit wants to net the former Los Angeles Galaxy man.

"He is coming over in the next few weeks," Baldwin told skysports.com.

"It will not be a trial, he may have a few days training but that will just be to see the club and whether he likes it - he is one of the best strikers available.

"He is two-footed and he will be a major asset to any club as he is that good.

"There are four clubs asking about him, but one club has really come to the fore and is really keen on him.

"Clint will be going to that club, but he will also be travelling to the other clubs just to see what his options are as this will be a big move for him."

Mathis bagged nine goals last season for The Metrostars and is their prized asset, but he is now set to seal a move to England.

It is not yet known who the interested parties are, but the likes of Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Bolton, Everton and Birmingham are all thought to be possible destinations for the American.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when he does find it, it will be 3 times as expensive as the local beers like Kroneborg(sp) or Jupilar which is a popular belgian beer in france.

5. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    I didn't think he was talking about beer at first.
    Nevermind.

6. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Local Buffet?:D:p

7. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    Re: Re: Mathis: Where to next?

He'll have to wait in line behind Blanco, and hope their's some food left...

8. golazo5

golazo5 New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    CT
    I am worried that club scouts (if indeed they are interested in Mathis) might have focused on his impressive form before his ACL injury. IMHO, Clint is an entirely different player today than he was before his injury. Before his injury, he had fire in his eyes. He could beat the majority of MLS defenders of the dribble and score a goal out of the most improbable of circumstances. He´d always have one idea in mind: forward. In short, I have not seen many players that can make something out of nothing like Clint can.

Today, hes a player thats content with laying of the ball to woliynec instead of making the plays that make the difference (i.e. the pass to Wolf vs. Mexico in World Cup qualifying).

On the other hand, it may be that clubs realize that he is a unique, special player and with a more disciplined, confident and focused attitude he might be able to regain his form. I just wonder to what extent they have studied his recent Metro matches (if indeed they are interested in him).

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: Mathis: Where to next?

You mean Luis Hernandez :D :p