Mathis: Where to next?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Deuteriumoxide, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going somewhere after the playoffs I think its pretty clear that the Metro won't be having him back, so where does Clint go from here?

MLS or otherwise?

2. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Has anyone even heard any teams outside the U.S. are still interested in him?

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Long Island Rough Riders? That's outside the U.S.

4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Jaguares of the mfl has contacted the metros about mathis

developing...

5. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestng, do you have a link or something?

I don't think Clint would go to Mexico. But still it's interesting.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Where to next? I'd say to the nearest Taco Bell to add some more weight.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fu. once i saw this thread i wantedto say mcdonalds, lol.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Wasn't Celtic rumored to be looking at him a few months back?

9. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Maybe a few years back. Although they could do worse.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was going to say to either his local bar or basement

11. Redhammer

Redhammer New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    these clint bashing boards really aren't funny anymore. can't someone answer the question seriously instead of posting the same bad jokes about his weight? he'll definately end up in europe, we all know that... i think a smaller EPL team who can't score goals or attract many big names will take a chance on him. bolton, middlesborough, birmingham city

12. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his play this season has played him out of a decent contract with any league in the big four of Europe (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga). That in mind, I think he'll end up either in Holland, Scotland, France or Belgium. I think he could do very well in Holland...

13. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    This stuff is getting old. I do not think he will return and I think he will find himself on a decent Euro side, and will benefit his game an dthe US. Shep Messing knows a thing or two about players...he;'s a former pro, more than any of you or myself for that matter can say about that. Unless you are and can prove your credientials, Shep feels that Clint has worked his butt off. Unfortunately, it hasn't translated into goals for the Metros or himself. I am sure that his touch will return, both for the US and whichever club he finds himself on.

14. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    I wonder if Clint can be arsed to learn a foreign language?

15. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    It could be tough for him in England for sure! ;)

Kevin

16. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    He won't go to England, you have to run in England. To be fair he's looking at a first division side at best in any league. He needs to take a real hard look inside and decide how he wants his career to end.

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Colorado Rapids. He loves the fans and the fans love him.

18. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they'd come around.

So if Clint doesn't go to Europe, what MLS side makes a move for him?

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    career careening downward at the MLS salary max? I think he will stay with Metros because no one else will risk it.

20. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Whoever thinks Clint is headed to Europe, which appears to be a minority based on the putdowns and jokes here, needs to stop watching replays of his 2000 matches.

There are four players on the MetroStars that have a better chance of playing in Europe than Mathis ever will (Gaven, Clark, Magee and Walker).

Somehow, I think he'll find himself back with the Galaxy next season. Unless he's happy playing in the Bulgarian League's 3rd Division, he's staying put.

21. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    from a reliable source (the usual friend of a friend) - i know that Clint would be happy with going back out West within MLS...he also very much would be happy with Europe, and had mentioned a lower-tier EPL team or France as possibilities.

i'm a Mathis fan and would like to see him succeed wherever he goes. maybe a big change of scenery would be good for him...perhaps catching on with a lower profile team in Europe might help him? ala Greg Vanney with Bastia?

22. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    England or Germany are bad choices for Clint. The beer is just too damn good.

23. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a bit dramatic...if he goes to Europe, it'll be first division/top flight of a league outside of the Big 4.

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If Ante Razov at peak form couldn't get anything better than 2nd div. in Spain, why would the 2003 version of Clint Mathis being playing in any serious European top division?

And remember that "smaller" EPL club Birmingham City signed Stern John when he was absolutely on fire. That doesn't describe Clint at the moment.

Vanney is a totally different case--a left-sided, left-footed defender who takes free kicks, a specialty player who fits a role on some teams.

The only "role" an imported striker would fit is putting ball in net, and when that doesn't happen, he's of no use. It's a Zen thing, baby.

25. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Would West Ham want Clint?

I was wondering if a team like West Ham which is trying to get back into the top flight could use CM. That may be wishful thinking given the fact that he hasn't put up the numbers we're used to seeing for the Metros. But I'd like to see something to that effect once the transfer window reopens in January.

What about his performances? How did someone so good suddenly dry up goal-wise? Is it that he's not getting the service? Is he just not the same after his injuries? What about BA's "disciplining" of Mathis during WC 2002? Does anyone think that it somehow had an adverse effect on Clint's play? Tell me what you think. Write Away!