Mathis to Salt Lake

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Section113, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    So Mathis and Kreis up top for RSL in April?

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    mathis will not be coming to MLS

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    just curious.

if a year ago clint mathis wanted to play virtually anywhere in the world rather than MLS, and a brief spell at one german club has proven itself to be untenable, what rationale concludes that his first option upon leaving said german club would be a return to MLS?

i'm not saying he won't come back. it just seems a bit odd to me.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Because he is a 30 game 90 minute player here, which will increase his chances for Germany '06.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    certainly national team aspirations are reason enough to want out at hannover. but his status with the nats went from 'lock' to 'dodgy' while still in MLS. his desire to show bruce and the world all that he could be was, supposedly, part of the reasoning behind getting out of MLS, which was holding him back.

but i suppose you're right. MLS is probably the only place that will literally guarantee him a spot on bruce's radar. a return will also, however (unlike a move to another european club), cement his reputation as a fvckvp.

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be interesting is if Mathis and his old chum Franchino both end up in RSL. That would be similar to our situation with Petke and Big Mama.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No doubt about it, he's a self-made man.