Mathis to RSL???

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by tabramos10, Nov 17, 2004.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    No that's fine, I did indeed tell ya. He's as good as in MLS at this point...

When I talked to sources close to Clint last month he was against coming back to MLS at all cost. He wanted, and figured someone within the Bundesliga would take a go at him and give him a chance...when nobody did it became apparent to everyone in his camp that unless he wanted to go to the 2nd.Bundesliga he would be back in MLS, and forwhatever reason he has stated a distinct desire to not join a 2nd.Bundesliga team.

2. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    What do they mean by "one-time Mohican" ? (on that last link you listed)

3. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that may be in reference to his recent mohawk. He had it one of the more recent WC qualifiers.

4. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Oh I get it now. What a weird way for them to say he had a mohawk.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats funny...Jay and Silent Bob is all I can think of....I am the Clint Commander, I command the Clint, I make that shite work!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That was my first thought too, but I'm not sure that the Germans came up with that... right?

"Oh yeah, the Clint's real all right"

7. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    "The female orgasm, now that's the mystery!"

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Let the fun begin!

10. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
  11. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  12. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!

Sorry, that was lame, but I didn't know what else to say. I'm just excited. :D

13. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Let's hope that Col. Clint is going to prove all his doubters wrong! Here's to a 30 goal season!! Cheers!

14. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    congratulations guys i cant wait to see clint the headcase back in mls, this can only bring attention to RSL which is a good thing if youre an RSL fan which I am most certainly not :)

15. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls

Thanks for your input, now leave. :p

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    you will be, soon. :D

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ticket sales? Promotion? It will probably sell you a few initial tickets before the season starts. Where it can potentially sell you a boat load of tickets is not on his rep but how he can potentially perform once people see him. Mathis--when he brings his "A" game--is a force to watch. I still think his romp through midfield against Dallas several years ago is one of the best goals I've ever seen. Mathis is the kind of guy who can get soccer neophytes to come to soccer games--if he's on his game. So I think you see any real impact on tickets sales IF he performs like he's capable of--and then you'll see a bunch of ticket sales (including on the road).

And for fair warning here--even when Mathis did have his "A" game, it has almost always been a very uneven game. He'll disappear for long stretches of the match and then pull something incredible out of his hat--when he's on. He'll mis-hit balls and shank shots that have you grumbling--and then make some magic to pull a game out. But that's when his game is on.

The key here is Ellinger. He's got to be good enough at identifying what it takes to unlock Mathis. B/c it's not enough just to give him a fresh start or new coach or someone who is good at developing Americans. He's had 2 coaches at Hannover, Bradley, Arena and Oz with Metro and worn out his welcome with all of them. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy or bad news--just that someone has got to have the key to unlock the best of Mathis. And I think that is going to ultimately decide whether or not this was a wise deal or a dumb one.

As for the argument of getting Mathis vs. getting 4 younger players--that doesn't work here. You're using an allocation on Mathis. You wouldn't be using an allocation on superdraft picks or P-40 players. So you can't argue RSL would have been better off going for younger players. The argument for or against Mathis is whether or not you'd have gotten a better foreign talent with that allocation. If Ellinger can unlock the best of Mathis, than the answer is probably not. But Ellinger doesn't, than it's probably a deal that doesn't pan out for RSL beyond mid-season.

18. southckid10

southckid10 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Connecticut
    no offense to all u mathis lovers..but i dont really think hes "good" hes mediocore...watching his old metros games were just pathetic..and in my soccer jr. mag (which is outta biz. btw) it has an article about mathis and how he reallys isnt that good at all..and how the coaches didnt like the way he played..they basically thought he sucked..

just my 2 cents

:) :D

-Marco

19. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well first of all you are obviously entitled to your own opinion... even if it is f'kin stupid!
    If Mathis 'sucked' why did they keep picking him for the USMNT...?
    Why was he snatched up by Hannover 96?

He was certainly not sent back to MLS cos he 'Sucks'! I think you will find he was sent back cos of an 'attitude difference'

I wish I was as bad a player as him!

Did you ever stop to wonder... If the magazine you are quoting is no longer around that it might just be because it had f'kin idiotic articles that said 'Mathis was not any good' and that 'Mathis basically sucked'

Just my 2 cents!

20. southckid10

southckid10 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Connecticut
    first off all

1)your entitled to your own oppinion

2) the magazine didnt make enough money..the articles were good, but just to many ads, also those werent bogus ads or such..they had the coaches interviews in their, and MATHIS's interview in their if im not mistaken

3) mathis hasnt progressed id say..hes stayed..like my regional coaches sed...some people get better, some people get worse, some ppl dont gain.. EDIT____ btw if he got sent back ito the mls im sure it wasnt only his attitude.. it was his playing habits and how he performed..because do you think if hannover got a brilliant player with a ************ attitude theyd kick him just for THAT!!?? a good coach and club would develop him on and off the field.. he obviously wusnt able to develop as a whole player on and off the field

when he plays hes too inconsistent, one game is poor, another is poor, one is good, one is poor, etc

just MY 2cents

-Marco

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 cents? maybe 1/2 a cent at best. If Mathis was so terrible why has he been capped so many times? Why is he in the US soccer articles almost every day? Because, regardless of your low opinion, Clint is a good soccer player. Obviously he has a lot of personal issues to resolve, but he can play.
    His performance for RSL in 2005 however, will be the true litmus test of his future talent.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Sweet lord folks. Don't read too much into Cowboy's stint in Germany. It wasn't that long. Who knows what the cause was. It was short enough that it could very well be as simple as he didn't get along with the new manager.

23. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deuce again.

24. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    Hmmmm???? A magazine didn't make enough money because it sold too much advertising. I've never heard that arguement before, but if that's the one you want to stick with, you just go ahead with it.