Mathis to Real Salt Lake..?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is also not just his attitude- it is his play.He is very erratic to say the least.It is not like he is a head case but a brilliant player.He has great moments.... and a load of bad ones.

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    For the last time, Mathis is NOT going to MLS next year.

1. He has a contract in Germany.
    2. If they don't play him, they still have to pay him.

So, let's see. He's going to tell Hannover, "No thanks, keep your money. I'm going back to 'Merica t' make less money."

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Flan- You don't think MLS could buy back Mathis on the cheap, and make a deal to cover 1/2 of Clint's salary (saving Hanover 1/2?). I do.....(now whether or not it happens....I don't know....I'd think, if Clint wants it, he can find another deal w/a club there. Maybe he is viewing this as "I tried Europe, but if I can make the same money at home......I'll go there"..

4. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were discussing Kirovski, I'd say you're probably right. But this is Mathis. Mathis may have ambitions about being on World Cup Squad. He won't get there by sitting on his ass in Hannover.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2469280

Interesting to note that he wants to sign with MLS, not necessarily RSL. They just get first crack at returning Americans.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    As stated, he wants to make the World Cup squad.

Financially, that is an opportunity to consider. Deferring salary now, to potentially get long-term European contract after 06.

Most players want to play. Careers usually don't last more than 10-15 years.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    they will probably glad to get his salary off their books.It is quite common to just let a player go if he can't get a transfer fee, and they have no intention of playing him.Clint has not even been on the bench so I can easily believe they will let him go on a free.

7. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    So Clint is going to sign with MLS for much less money than the salary he gets with Hannover?

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis is not Kirovski.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

Kirovski is also probably not teh person many think he is...
    Ive never once heard him or anyone close to him saying he was happy sitting on a bench as long as he was paid well.

I don't know about the whole looking fora big paycheck for Clint after 06. His big chance for a major move was after 2002. He'd been a stud in his currnent league, was still young and could build on a world cup performance. Unfortunately we're here in 04 and he's basically being offloaded to anyone who'll come for him.

Clint will be 28 on Thanksgiving - 29 during ehe world cup.
    At that age, I dont see any major contracts coming his way unless he has one heck of a season next year and then a great world cup.

And that assumes he's a better option than our other and younger attackers.

10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mathis to Real Salt Lake..? COACH CHANGE at Hannover.

You mean the gusture after taking only 90 seconds to put the ball in the net? :)

11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter what he said, it's his actions that speak for him. He preferred the $$$ and the bench over MLS and playing, that is, up until last year. And perhaps last year, the $$$ wasn't there so he went to MLS.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    What actions suggest he preferred $$$ to playing time? That he wasn't a starter? Isn't it possible that he thought he could make it to the first team in Dortmund with hard work? When he realized that wasn't going to happen he jumped to Portugal league and fought for a spot there for a couple years?
    Just because you don't make the first team doesn't mean you're not trying. It's just as possible that when he realized he wasn't going to be a starter in Portugal, then he came to MLS.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, just pointing out that without any factual evidence either way, it's not possible to determine conclusively.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

While it's still the popular belief that Clint was benched after giving the gesture... it's just not true.

Clint started the next game against Bielefeld - and played miserably by accounts. He was pulled in that game in teh 73rd minute and hasn't played since.
    After that game, Hannover was a bottom feeder in the Bundesliga table.

With Clint, the team had 1 win, 2 draws, and 3 losses (though he didn't play in the first game - a loss)
    After benching Mathis, the team has played well. They've lost 1 game and won 7. Why would anyone consider playing him.

If you're not going to be a team player, you damn well better be so good that the coaches have to overlook it... and Clint didn't.You don't blame the coach when his system seems to be working.

14. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    :D :D :D

15. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Playing time or $$$ :rolleyes:

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    How much money would it take to get that taken care of dk?

I guarantee you we will all pitch in enough to get that done.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But if they would do so, which appears to be a sure thing, why shouldn't he try to hook up with another B-liga team or with a CL contender somewhere else in Europe's second tier?

If he goes back to MLS, it'd be foolish for him to agree to an inferior long-term contract. If he stays in Europe - and assuming he is finally in shape - a good half a season for a Schalke or a Mainz can secure him a decent, if perhaps incentive based, deal somewhere on a continent. He may even get something in 7 figures if he goes on to score a few goals. What will he make in MLS, 1/2 less? 2/3 less?

And, once gone, getting back to Europe for the last substantial contract of his career would be next to impossible.

On top of all things, he does not seem to be a Utah type.

Sorry, but I don't see too many positives for Mathis in MLS. His Euro career isn't that ruined ... yet.

18. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts and BigSoccer? ;)

I certainly don't have any personal facts on these two players, neither of whom I know personally. I express opinions based on what is in the media and on my own speculation. So you are right, it's not possible to determine conclusively.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he basically failed at a small BL team.How many teams do you think will come calling?

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hanover is a mid-table club and his disappearance from the starting line-up there can be easily chalked off to Lienen's ultra-defensive style.

Now, Clint may have to audition for a week or so during the B-liga winter break before he can get signed but, as a free transfer and probably a very reasonable wage, he can be rather useful to someone's depth chart.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

dude, i've got news for ya: things are just not that simple - for crying out loud, adi akinbiyi still plays championship football and fernando morientes (arguably the european player of the year up until he returned to real) is glued to the bench with apparently no hope of playing because the coach is a tard

just because one guy shuts a player out, that doesn't mean there won't be 20 other managers thinking they know how to get the best out of him

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

It's really stunning how many Lienen/Hannover experts can be found on this board... :rolleyes:

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh but their expertise is not limited to the vagaries of a hannover situation they have no access to or knowledgable grasp of

they are also AJAX training program experts and world class reactionaries, among other resume nuggets :D

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    according to several Hannover fans who post here,Mathis' disappearance can be traced to his poor play.Why make excuses for him?

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Dude,Morientes was a very accomplished player- Mathis has done very little and is not widely known.