Mathis to play? [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Alex_1, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sort of surprised I didn't see this...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=169354&cc=5901

Looks like he might (emphasis the word 'might') actually get an opportunity at redemption. Hopefully he will take it and do well... although IMO, I always thought it was a bad idea for him to start running his mouth in the first place.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Maybe it's me, but I didn't see anything in there that suggested he might play any time soon.

3. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    from http://www.96soccer.com/

"96 head coach Ewald Lienen announces 18 man roster for the game against VfB Stuttgart:

Enke, Juric, Cherundolo, Mertesacker, Zuraw, Vinicius, Schneider, Lala, de Guzman, Dabrowski, But, Krupnikovic, Stajner, Stendel, Schröter, Christiansen, Leandro and Idrissou."

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Haven't heard about it, but maybe Mathis and Lienen are able to surprise us. It is not very likely, but it would for sure be a big surprise for Stuttgart ;-)

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. Looked to me as if the piece was saying he'll have to make an impression from the bench, but not saying he's get that chance.
    Also, no contact from MLS at this point is interesting, as it's getting towards that time. I still think he could make a nice career in europe. But whereever, i do hope he finds a place he'll play. His judgement may lack a bit, but enjoy watching him.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    This Mathis to MLS talk is just madness.

He aint coming back, folks.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    He sure isn't staying at Hannover IMO

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Where is there any new information there? Not one new quote on Mathis situation (improvment)..

smells like troll....

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On what do you base that?

10. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were in charge of Hannover, would you try to offload him?

I would.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    If I were in charge at Hannover I'd already have him on the transfer list...
    I'm not sure of the value I'd put on him, but it would be low enough that I think I'd get offers.

Anyone know if he's playing in reserve matches or is he just practicing and watching from the stands?

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    The Clint Mathis that I know doesn't go to Europe and give up after less than a year. That's what I base it on.

13. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If he comes back in two years, that's still coming back.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    oh yeah, like he is waiting for a big offer.He had to go on trial the first time.His rep has not exactly been enhanced since.

15. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Didn't Andy Williams claim that RSL told him he'd play A-mid behind Kreis and Mathis? I don't think Clint is suited to play in Germany. Has he learned the language yet -- beyond the basics? Pointing at his wrist and grabbing his crotch don't count.

We have players here that get along without speaking English, so maybe it doesn't matter, really -- football is football in any language. The trouble is, he isn't getting a chance to speak that language now -- or in the forseeable future.

16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Does he still qualify for a WP in England? If so, he could probably land a gig in the Championship. That would have to be his preference. Of course, I think he would do well in Holland also.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I did a very quick check from ussoccer.com

In 2003 Clint played in 12 of 16 games. (75%)
    In 2004 he's played in 6 of 15 games. (40%)

so that's 18 of 31 games which is 58%
    He may get in under appeal... but I wouldn't count on it

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's only the "official" games that count towards the total, so if you take out the friendlies:

2003: 7/8
    2004: 3/8

Total: 10/16, or 62.5%

Still short.

19. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    Is there any other news regarding the interest of 1860 Munich, other than the tidbit that was in Kicker this week?

Would he consider going to a team in Norway, Belgium, or Holland if there was any interest?

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely.

At the current rate, he's on a fast track to nowhere.

Especially if the damage in his working relationship with Lienen is considered beyond repair.

And if that is indeed the case, and Clint himself wants to make a move that could salvage his club career, I'd hope he'd be open to a move, anywhere (eg., elsewhere in Germany, another port of call on the continent, or even back to MLS).

21. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If he'd play reserves I'd know that, so he doesn't ;-)
    And afaik and as far as the media has told us there isn't any news from germany about him going to Munich or elsewhere...

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only competitive games count, so that's Confed Cup, Gold Cup and Qualifiers.

He was 7 for 7 in 2003 (the game against Martinique doesn't count).

He has been 3 for 8 in 2004.

That's 10 for 15, 67%. That's not enough but it is close, all he would need would be a letter detailing how he was injured for the Grenada games, and those two would put him over the threshhold.

I think he could probably get a Work Permit, particularly coming from the BL as opposed to MLS.

I think he'd be Coca-Cola League material at this point until he showed something, but I think he could get the WP.

23. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Well Mathis ain't even on the bench, again. Hopefully he makes a move in January.

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Try right here...

But it's all null in void as he still didn't make an appearance.

25. illnevercheckit

illnevercheckit New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Chatsworth
    how was Mathis ever linked to Bayern I would never figure. He's no more than an average player with a strong kick. Well...works for Becks...could work for anyone...though Mathis is but a zit on Becks ass, I can't see him play with anyone more worthy than Hannover at the moment. Enjoy while you have it Clint, it's down hill from here.